east coast bias

frankiekazoo

Reaction score
couldn't help myself - don't usually post here but i found this in an article in ESPN:

"The truth is, no player's slams have so jazzed crowds or spiced up nightly highlights since Vince Carter's pre-injury aerial assaults, despite what Wade may say to the contrary."

They're talking about Dwyane Wade here. Uh, ever heard of a guy called Amare Stoudemire?

It's funny you know - the more I speak to people, the more i think the east and west coast are on opposite sides of the world. Was talking to a pacers guy the other day and all i got was "Amare just dunks it" and "who else have you got on that team besides Nash?"

Then again, i guess i don't know much about east coast ball either - as long as Allen Iverson gets MVP votes I'll always wonder what i'm not seeing. Guy is the ultimate LVP in my books...

OP
OP
F

frankiekazoo

Reaction score
what, do i need to spell it out for you?

Actually its not as dramatic as the title suggests (sorry for that) but i just don't think (not that we don't know this already) we get much exposure round here. That's all.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At lunch I saw ESPN2 show Amare flying over Dirkita was Dirkita's arms flailed helplesslessy. It was some sort of play of the week.

Reaction score
Get the sun to set at the same time all over America and your East Coast bias goes away. ESPN hypes players people see. How many people on the West Coast stay up until 1:00 in the morning on a worknight to watch Dwayne Wade. I don't think there is a conspiracy here.

Last edited:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
The only way for the suns to rid the eastern confrence bias is to continue to move on in the playoffs.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is an east coast bias, but there are also a lot people around the country who love what the Suns are doing even if they don't really understand it. Highlight films don't really give the full impact of the Suns lightning strikes, but there is a growing realization that showtime can be a winning formula.

In any case, Wade has had a spectacular post season and deserves the props he is getting. But Amare's time is coming. :notworthy

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could understand why there would be an East Coast bias with the fans. As someone else said we can't expect them to stay up until 1 a.m. watching the Phoenix Suns. I do have a problem with the East Coast media that conveniently forgets how weak the Eastern conference is and seems to forget about the West Coast teams too often. I mean there were only two teams in the Eastern conference that would have made the playoffs out here. Detroit would not have had a home-court advantage.

I just think it stinks for the NBA that so many people haven't had the chance to watch the Suns who play such an enjoyable and successful brand of basketball.

Joe Mama

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its not so much East Coast Bias as it is lazy journalism.

A bias does exist, but most of those East Coast reporters are tucked away in their beds sometime during the first half of west coast games. All they know about west coast games is what they see on espn highlights. The constantly just parrot one another rather than thinking for themselves.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Another reason for the East Coast bias is that a huge majority of the people in America live east of the Mississippi river. ESPN and ABC simply cater to the largest consumer audience.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe in East Coast bias. However, myopia knows no geography. You only know what's in front of you on a daily basis. If you live in New Jersey, Phoenix might as well be the Sahara Desert. If you live in Phoenix, you might think the Jersey Turnpike is a nuclear morphed fish somewhere near Three-Mile Island.

With Phoenix homer broadcaster John Anderson doing the Big Show on ESPN now, there's certainly no anti-Arizona sentiment on the most visible national sports show on TV.

OP
OP
F

frankiekazoo

Reaction score
"However, myopia knows no geography. You only know what's in front of you on a daily basis. If you live in New Jersey, Phoenix might as well be the Sahara Desert. If you live in Phoenix, you might think the Jersey Turnpike is a nuclear morphed fish somewhere near Three-Mile Island."

Exactly.

I imagine the thought process behing ourstyle of ball would go something like this - "Dallas and Phoenix huh? What on earth are they doing shooting 120 points a game - don't they realise that's not proper basketball? We'll show them heh heh"

And then somehow thinking these 85 - 75 point stinkers are where it's at.

Last edited: