East Valley Tribune: D'Antoni may get contract extension

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
East Valley Tribune: D'Antoni may get contract extension

By Mike Tulumello, Tribune
Mike D'Antoni, entering his first full season as the Suns' head coach, appears in line for a contract extension.
"It isn't complete, but we're working on it now," said Warren Legarie, D'Antoni's agent.

Said D'Antoni, "I don't think anything is definite. But we're definitely talking." D'Antoni has only the upcoming season left on his contract. He originally signed the deal to be an assistant coach; his salary was bumped up when he replaced Frank Johnson as head coach in December.

Coaches entering the final year of their contracts often are viewed as halfway out the door, particularly in an era when coaches' tenures are increasingly short. So the Suns probably will want to give D'Antoni an extension to give him more of an air of authority in dealing with players.

Suns president Bryan Colangelo declined comment on whether D'Antoni would get an extension. He would only say he is working on a number of issues involving the coaching staff, including the filling of the assistant coaching vacancy created when D'Antoni replaced Johnson.

Legarie indicated he hoped the Suns would add two years to D'Antoni's contract, giving him three more seasons total.

The agent said D'Antoni "has a big following among NBA people." "He's very good with players. And he doesn't compromise the future for the present."

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
What a grievous mistake...but we are so accustomed to the C's today....to resign him before this current year actually gets underway. I want a REAL SEASONED coach to coach our Suns :hulk:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I agree this would be a terrible error. How many times will Suns brass make the same mistake over and over? And what do they have to lose by waiting another half-season or more?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I think the real error would be to let D'Antoni get to the end of his contract without knowing what happens next year. What if he does a great job, and Amare decides he doesn't want to play for anybody else? D'Antoni would have the franchise by the short and curlies, then.

If they sign him to an extension and he sucks next year, the Suns will just fire him and move on. The Suns don't have a cheapskate owner any more; they can afford to eat a couple of years worth of rookie-coach contract if they have to.

I like D'Antoni, of course, and I don't see all of these wonderful 'veteran coach' options that y'all do. (I certainly don't want to hand the franchise off to just anybody, not after watching the Bulls blow a similar situation and wind up having to flush their young talent and start over.) D'Antoni will have to grow for the Suns to succeed, but unlike Frank Johnson, there seems to be a legitimate chance that will actually happen.

If the Suns could sign D'Antoni to a decent extension and keep the other coaches, then bring in Bzdelik or Musselman as the new assistant coach, I would be ecstatic about our coaching situation coming into next season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I think the real error would be to let D'Antoni get to the end of his contract without knowing what happens next year. What if he does a great job, and Amare decides he doesn't want to play for anybody else? D'Antoni would have the franchise by the short and curlies, then.

These players that say they'll only play for a certain coach are a myth. Shaq has said it about Phil for a long time, but even he wouldn't probably follow through with that. Money talks...

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D'Antoni seems willing to balance the need to develop young players and the urge to win at all costs - sort of.

This issue has become a recurring source of conflict between GM's and coaches. It was the reason Jim O'Brien left Boston, it is why Musselman at GS is likely to go, it is why Jeff Bzdelik may be let go in Denver, and why Nate McMillan is rumored to be on the way out in Seattle. Most coaches do not want to prepare players for the next coach. When a coach is job hunting, the first thing people look at is their record.

Most "name" coaches don't want to go through the development process. The Larry Browns of the world prefer to tinker with established teams. Pat Riley bailed on what would turn out to be a surprisingly good Heat team because he does not have patience with young players.

D'Antoni may not be the coach to take the team all the way, but he may be the just the kind of coach the Suns need to get to the 50-55 win level. After that, who knows?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
These players that say they'll only play for a certain coach are a myth.

I agree. And I don't care how great Stoudemire thinks he is -- he doesn't run the freaking team. If he doesn't like the coach, he can walk. Getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per game is enough -- lose the prima donna attitude.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
elindholm said:
These players that say they'll only play for a certain coach are a myth.

I agree. And I don't care how great Stoudemire thinks he is -- he doesn't run the freaking team. If he doesn't like the coach, he can walk. Getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per game is enough -- lose the prima donna attitude.

Did Amare even say this?? Why rip on someone who has not mentioned not playing for Mike. I mean he was coached by Frank and now Mike.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Right, sorry, I just meant "if" he were to adopt that attitude. I'm only hypothetically ripping on him. :D

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Right, sorry, I just meant "if" he were to adopt that attitude. I'm only hypothetically ripping on him. :D
I just say the anger coming out. :) :hulk:

Errntknght

Reaction score
>>D'Antoni may not be the coach to take the team all the way, but he may be the just the kind of coach the Suns need to get to the 50-55 win level. After that, who knows?<<

One problem with having D'Antoni as the builder is that the Suns' management has repeatedly demonstrated that they have no idea of how to put a team together. An experienced coach with a definite idea of where he wants to go with the team might keep them on track. D'Oofus doesn't have a clue about defense and his offense fizzles against teams that defend well or throw a zone at it. What are the odds he knows what players would fit a worthwhile defense or offense... assuming the C's would listen to him?

The good news is that under new ownership the C's influence figures to be diluted as time goes on. With a little bit of luck it will happen soon enough to make something of the good young players the Suns have - and it will start with hiring an experienced NBA coach.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
minercon said:
What a grievous mistake...but we are so accustomed to the C's today....to resign him before this current year actually gets underway. I want a REAL SEASONED coach to coach our Suns :hulk:
Who do you have in mind?

Just because a coach hasn't won a championship doesn't mean he won't. I think D'Antoni has done a good job since becoming coach. I don't see anything wrong with an extension as a vote of confidence. Like someone else pointed out, there is nothing keeping the Suns from canning him if it doesn't work.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Errntknght said:
One problem with having D'Antoni as the builder is that the Suns' management has repeatedly demonstrated that they have no idea of how to put a team together. An experienced coach with a definite idea of where he wants to go with the team might keep them on track.

That is flawed logic. Almost anytime a coach has an impact on players, it goes wrong. Doc Rivers is being held partially responsible for the Magic problems, since he had so much input.

Rick Pitino screwed over the Celtics.

Pat Riley messed up the Heat until this season.

Dallas isn't running so smoothly

George Karl messed up the Bucks a couple years ago.

Larry Brown always tinkered with the Sixers, and they became worse off every year.

Anyways, most big name coaches who have a major say in players mess things up. A coach and a GM have different views of what is good for the team. A GM must think long term, where coaches rarely do. A GM must consider salary ramifications, while a coach does not.

The ONLY coach I can think of with a big say in personel who is successful is Greg Popovich.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
That is flawed logic. Almost anytime a coach has an impact on players, it goes wrong. Doc Rivers is being held partially responsible for the Magic problems, since he had so much input.

Rick Pitino screwed over the Celtics.

Pat Riley messed up the Heat until this season.

Dallas isn't running so smoothly

George Karl messed up the Bucks a couple years ago.

Larry Brown always tinkered with the Sixers, and they became worse off every year.

Anyways, most big name coaches who have a major say in players mess things up. A coach and a GM have different views of what is good for the team. A GM must think long term, where coaches rarely do. A GM must consider salary ramifications, while a coach does not.

The ONLY coach I can think of with a big say in personel who is successful is Greg Popovich.

Ideally the coach and GM should have similar visions of where the team is going. I felt that Skiles and the Colangelos had totally different views of what kind of players were needed which is one of the reasons he failed so badly after a very good season. In Chicago he and Paxton have similar conclusions which is why they are contemplating cleaning house.

If the coach and the GM have a similar vision of what kind of team they are trying to build, what style of play to emphasize, and sort of players that are needed - it can work very well. Jerry West and Hubie Brown have shown how it should be done.

Is D'Antoni going to be a first rate coach? I would like to see what he could do with a veteran but talented team. This past season he finished the season with:

3 rookies
2 second year men
1 third year guy
4 veterans who were not with the team at the start of the season

Yet somehow out of this chaos he put together a fairly competative team. I too get impatient with how slow their development is, but I like what I've seen so far.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
If the coach and the GM have a similar vision of what kind of team they are trying to build, what style of play to emphasize, and sort of players that are needed - it can work very well. Jerry West and Hubie Brown have shown how it should be done.

I am not a huge D'Antoni fan, I think he is decent, but isn't it obvious that he and the Cs share the same vision?

They both like smaller lineups, with an occasional big guy.

They both love to run.

They both never emphasize defense (or defensive players)

So in theory, this combination should work fine. Of course some people will say it is a bad group from the get go, and management needs to change, but I stick by BC is at least in the top third of GMs.

Errntknght

Reaction score
"Almost anytime a coach has an impact on players, it goes wrong."

I'd go so far as to say that one person with the dual role of coach and GM has not been a resounding success in the NBA but on most teams the coach has a significant say in player acquisitions so your statement isn't remotely true.

"Doc Rivers is being held partially responsible for the Magic problems, since he had so much input."

Doc had no experience as an NBA coach when he was installed.

"Rick Pitino screwed over the Celtics."

Rick was a successful college coach with no NBA coaching experience.

"Pat Riley messed up the Heat until this season."

Pat Riley also built the Heat into a solid team before he took on the additional role of GM. From the look of the current team he's assembled maybe he missed his calling and should have been GM.

"Dallas isn't running so smoothly"

Nelson raised Dallas from the dead.

"George Karl messed up the Bucks a couple years ago."

George Karl messed up everything he touched a couple of years ago. Until then he was a solid coach. He probably went off the deep end because his GM wouldn't get players that took D seriously.

"Larry Brown always tinkered with the Sixers, and they became worse off every year."

You may have a good case here... at Indiana and Philly both LB had a positive impact initially then they both
went seriously downhill - presumeably, as his input on player acquisition increased. I think that was the pattern with the Clips as well. Detroit could be a good place for him as Dumars seems to have a strong vision of what kind of a team he wants on the floor.

"The ONLY coach I can think of with a big say in personel who is successful is Greg Popovich."

How about Phil Jackson or Rudy T - who reputedly have or had a big say. One coach who's team I followed for a couple of decades undisputedly had a strong input - Red Auerbach. He was quite successful, though you're too young to remember that. Rick Adelman, Jerry Sloan, Paul Silas and perhaps Flip Saunders are others that come to mind as good possibilities though I don't know how much input they have.

By the way, you neglected to give the list of successful NBA coaches who simply coached whatever players their GMs handed them. Obviously it must be an enormous list, though I'm a a loss when it comes to naming them. Help me out here.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Grahamcrackr >>I am not a huge D'Antoni fan, I think he is decent, but isn't it obvious that he and the Cs share the same vision?

They both love to run.

They both never emphasize defense (or defensive players)

So in theory, this combination should work fine. Of course some people will say it is a bad group from the get go, and management needs to change<<

Yep, some of us will. Looks like a recipe for fast exits from the playoffs - in the good years.

>>, but I stick by BC is at least in the top third of GMs.<<

The rotating door we have on players tells me that even BC doesn't like the guys he thought were great a couple of years before... who are we to disagree with his assessment of his own previous handiwork. When it comes to coaches he's even worse... he keeps them a little longer I suppose than the average player but none of them had decent credentials for the job in the first place. And the average fan figures out well before he does that the guys can't do the job. His daddy wasn't a great GM, IMHO, but BC outright sucks. I'll give odds he never gets another job as a basketball GM when the Suns sack him. I suppose Daddy will foist him off on the Dbacks.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
"Rick Pitino screwed over the Celtics."

Pitino coached the New York Knicks before he took the Kentucky job.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I'll give odds he never gets another job as a basketball GM when the Suns sack him. I suppose Daddy will foist him off on the Dbacks.

Have you even been paying attention? BC is now one of the OWNERS of the team. He's not going to sack himself, and even if he stepped down, it won't be away from the organization.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Have you even been paying attention? BC is now one of the OWNERS of the team. He's not going to sack himself, and even if he stepped down, it won't be away from the organization.

Here's a thought, how many current GMs are better know for their work as a GM than as a player or as a coach? Scott Layton, Gabriell (sp), Krause, etc. are all falling by the wayside. Brian may be part of a vanishing breed.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Doc had no experience as an NBA coach when he was installed.

Pat Riley also built the Heat into a solid team before he took on the additional role of GM. From the look of the current team he's assembled maybe he missed his calling and should have been GM.

Nelson raised Dallas from the dead.

George Karl messed up everything he touched a couple of years ago. Until then he was a solid coach. He probably went off the deep end because his GM wouldn't get players that took D seriously.

How about Phil Jackson or Rudy T - who reputedly have or had a big say. One coach who's team I followed for a couple of decades undisputedly had a strong input - Red Auerbach. He was quite successful, though you're too young to remember that. Rick Adelman, Jerry Sloan, Paul Silas and perhaps Flip Saunders are others that come to mind as good possibilities though I don't know how much input they have.

By the way, you neglected to give the list of successful NBA coaches who simply coached whatever players their GMs handed them. Obviously it must be an enormous list, though I'm a a loss when it comes to naming them. Help me out here.

Doc gained more personel decisions the year after he won COY. He may have been a new coach, but he was definitely distinguished at that point.

Pitino is much better suited for the college game, but that doesn't diminish his role on the Celts. If anything, as a college coach, he should have had some sort of idea about player recruitment and drafting.

Pat Riley offered absurd contracts to Eddie Jones and Brian Grant. Those moves alone set the Heat back years. Loosing Mourning was a devestating blow, but had he not overpaid 2 players by so much, he would have been much better off. He is actually one of the best examples of why a person shouldn't be a coach/GM IMO. As a coach he saw his current roster, and thought he could win it all in the short run with those two guys, so he overpaid, neglecting the long term effect on the franchise.

Nelson didn't raise Dallas, Mark Cuban did. You or I could create a winning team with an unlimited bank roll and a decent coach. The fact that dallas is royally screwed cap wise for the next decade is going to hurt bad. Especially when they grossly overpay a wearing down Steve Nash this summer.

George Karl made the one call that he credits the beginning of the end for Mil. He signed Anthony Mason, which supposedly started all the rifts in the locker room. Then he pushes hard to get rid of Glen Robinson (which was a good choice), but follows it up with a GP for Allen deal. Not only is that bad talent wise, GP was in the last year of his contract. Then Cassell for Joe Smith??

Phil Jackson - May be ok, I think his personel decisions are irrelevent because he always has at least one top 5 player on his team. Filling in role players isn't that hard. Also, look at how much the Lakers role players have sucked in the past few years. He doesn't want any young players, instead optng for 15 year vets. His influence in personel is one of the reasons LA could be in big trouble this summer.

Rudy T - I love Rudy T, but lets be real here. He led the rockets no where for 5 straight years. He let Francis and Mobley do whatever they wanted, and had nothing for a front court. Have you seen Cato's contract? Maybe back when he had Hakeem he made better decisions, but like Phil, it isn't to hard when you have a top 5 player. (Which is why I was hesistant to give Pop any credit, although you have to admire their continual salaray structure)

Jerry Sloan - For sure, forgot abouthim for a moment

Paul Silas - As far as I know, this is his first year having a good amount of influence. I mean the NO owners hated him, so why would they let him make decisions?

Flip Saunders - Minny hasn't made a great deal till this summer, when the owners opened up their wallets. If he had a play in Wally's extension, or the Joe Smith deal, then I think we can scratch him immediately from this list.

Rick Adleman - To be honest, I dont know how much say he has. I don't really like most of their moves lately anyways. I think they overpaid market price to keep Bibby. They also overpaid Webber. Pedja drafting and resigning was genius, and it appears the Brad Miller trade is going to be too. Bobby Jackson, if they can keep him, is great. I really don't know about this one. Of course, do the owners think he has messed things up? There were a lot of rumors that if the kings were out early, it could be his head.

edit: I forgot to mention this was a list of people who coach with the players they have, per your request.

Jim Obrian - There was never any big changes to the Celts until this season, and no one could coach that group (he did great before they traded battie and williams)

Byron Scott - Man I hate this guy, but he played with what he had, and got 2 eastern division championships to show for it.

Rick Carlisle - I think it is safe to say that it was Joe Dumars, not Carlisle who made the Stackhouse swap. And Carlisle coached it wonderfully. And he hasn't done so bad in Indy, after he lost the teams starting center either.

Nate McMillan - Pre this year, I think he did a decent job amidst a lot of front office blunders.

Jeff Bzdelick - For a guy who is rumored to be fired - he took a horrible team to the playoffs, with no say.

Stan Vangundy - He picked up the pieces Pat Riley left on the court, and got them home court advantange after a horrific start.

Red Aurbach - Just because I am young doesn't mean I don't have a grasp on history. The internet is a wonderful thing, it lets even a youngin' like me look up about the "glory days" of basketball. Anyways, I like to stick it to the current game, since it has evolved a great deal since those years. However, that is a great example for that time, and I doubt anyone will ever be as successful as him.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I am not a huge D'Antoni fan, I think he is decent, but isn't it obvious that he and the Cs share the same vision?

They both love to run.
They both never emphasize defense (or defensive players).

His daddy wasn't a great GM, IMHO, but BC outright sucks.

Put your two thoughts together, Errntknght, and it illustrates the Suns two greatest needs --

A new philosophy and proven, experienced NBA leadership. Until then, all we can hope for is to rise from mediocrity to 50-and-fade, as we have throughout the Suns history.

Apparently there's three more years before there is even a chance of that happening.

So we may see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel . . . but do we really want to walk on the tracks until then? :stick:

I'll give odds he never gets another job as a basketball GM when the Suns sack him. I suppose Daddy will foist him off on the Dbacks.

I just ate lunch. Please don't say that. :barf:

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find it curious how criticism of D'Antoni turns into a diatribe on all the terrible things the Colangelos have done over the years. Yet their real failure has been to have playoff teams when guys like Shaq and Duncan were in the draft.

It is certainly true that the Colangelos not only want a winning team, they want one that plays exciting basketball as well. They don't want a team that tries to win 75 to 65, even though that seems to be the direction the NBA is moving. But I think the Colangelos reflect the views of most of their fans. All anybody wants to talk about is how to get another scorer - but more scoring is not the Suns biggest need.

This season the Suns actually outshot the Spurs 44.3% to 44.2%. The Suns averaged 94.2 ppg to 91.5 ppg. But the reason the Spurs are the odds on favorite to repeat is that while Suns opponents shot 44.6% and averaged 97.9 ppg, Spurs opponents shot 40.9% and scored only 84.3 ppg.

Virtually every personnel suggestion I make relates to improving the Suns defense. For example, my draft picks are:

Okafor - best defensive big man in the draft
Biedrins - best defensive big man in Europe
Iguodala - best perimeter defender in the draft

In discussing FA priorities, I put a shot blocking center over another shooter.

In comparing Okur and Mark Blount, I lean toward Blount because he is the better defender.

When I criticize Voskuhl and Lampe, it is because their defense is inadequate. When I criticize White is because he too slow on defense.

I have repeatedly criticized the way the Suns use the "scramble defense" to cover their weak interior defense.

In describing what I want the Suns to focus on over the summer, better defensive footwork and blocking out are by biggest priorities. To me, the biggest thing keeping Amare from being an all star is defense.

In describing what kind of assistant coach the Suns be looking to add to the team, my expressed preference has been a defensive guru.

It is reasonable to question whether D'Antoni will put enough emphasis on defense for the Suns to become a top team. However, it is too early to tell because he has not had an off season and training camp to work with. This is a young team and one without much veteran depth, so it is not easy to turn them into a top defensive team. However, D'Antoni has been able to get them to player hard - which is the first step.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Yep, George, you've been harping on the Suns' D all year, and rightly so as it weak. I've gone farther than you in that regard, in some ways - I think that D'Antoni's choice of the mid-court trap and a double teaming frenzy while the team didn't have the fundamentals down shows he isn't NBA coaching material. Why prop him up by bringing in a defensive guru as an assistant coach? It's not like the team offense made any strides forward. It started out as a streetball offense with guys taking turns going solo and it finished up the same way. It was nice that Marion improved his shot selection somewhat, that Amare starting a decent percentage of his jump shots and that JJ starting driving the paint at times but seeing those steps as improvement in the team offense is clutching at straws. The pathetic assist totals the team was getting tells the story more accurately.

Oh well, I may not like it, but D'Antoni is going to have his chance and we'll see if he really can do anything. I don't expect he and management to follow your prescription for the team and it'll be the worse for that. I'm in about the same position regarding coach Mikey as I was about FJ - I just want it over as quickly as possible. Because of the new ownership I'm more hopeful than I've been in years that the next coach will actually know what he's doing - you don't have to know squat about basketball to know that the coach turnover rate means the choices have been consistently rotten. I can't see an intelligent person like Sarver letting the chooser of those failures have a free hand again.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Oh well, I may not like it, but D'Antoni is going to have his chance

I don't think the extension will change his tenure with the team by more than a few months. He was very likely to last through next season anyway. My personal belief is that this team is a long way from being good, and while I think they'll show modest improvement in 04-05, it won't be enough to avoid a "disappointing" start to the 05-06 season. And then D'Antoni will be fired, just a short time into his extended guaranteed money, and then the Suns will be on the salary hook for yet another unemployed coach who was illogically rewarded after gaining a mere half season's experience.

So take heart, Errntknght, it's not nearly so bad as it looks. ;)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05