Edge James to visit Saturday

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess the most important thing is that it is actually on the front page at azcardinals.com. If its on their official site then its absolutely verified.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
The Arizona Cardinals are hitting the ground running at the start of free agency as they plan to bring in running back Edgerrin James defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy, and guard Milford Brown for visits on Saturday.
James (6-0, 214) has spent the past seven seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, after being the fourth overall draft pick in the 1999 NFL Draft. The University of Miami stand out has rushed for 9,226 yards on 2,188 attempts over the past seven years, an average of 4.2 yards per carry. In addition, the Florida native has also recorded 64 touchdowns, the longest being a 72-yarder in his rookie year.

Clancy (6-1, 305) was originally a 3rd round pick in the 2000 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steeelers. The University of Mississippi product played five seasons with the Steelers appearing in 54 games prior to signing with the Giants on March 11, 2005 as an unrestricted free agent. During the 2005 season Clancy played in 16 games for the Giants recording 2 sacks and 37 tackles.

Brown (6-4, 331) was selected by the Houston Texans in the sixth round of the supplemental draft in 2002. After transferring to Florida State in his senior year from East Mississippi Junior College, Brown went on to start all 12 games for the Seminoles. The Montgomery, Alabama native has appeared in 18 games for the Texans in the past four seasons, starting in 16 of those games.

Stayed tuned to azcardinals.com for more free agency information in the coming days. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Story confirmed and Urban adds more names to who we want

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=60885

Running back James set to visit Cardinals today
By Darren Urban, Tribune
March 10, 2006

The Cardinals’ first step into free agency will apparently have an Edge to it. Despite numerous denials from the Cards that they would chase a big-name running back, multiple NFL sources confirmed Colts running back Edgerrin James — arguably the biggest name on the free agent market — is expected to visit Arizona today.

Free agency began Friday night at 10:01 p.m.

Attempts to reach vice president of football operations Rod Graves late Friday night were unsuccessful.

James’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not return a phone message.

The Cardinals, who should have between $15 million and $18 million of salary cap space they could spend on free agents, have been linked to multiple players. The latest, NFL sources said Friday, are St. Louis defensive tackle Ryan Pickett and Giants defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy. The Cardinals might also have interest in New Orleans center LeCharles Bentley, if he isn’t quickly signed by Philadelphia as has been reported.

Already on the Cards’ expected laundry list are Baltimore defensive tackle Maake Kemoteau, Giants cornerback Will Allen, Detroit guard Kyle Kosier, Houston guard Milford Brown, Jets center Kevin Mawae, and possibly San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson, Detroit cornerback R.W. McQuarters and Pittsburgh receiver Antwaan Randle El.

None would make the impact of James, however. Both Graves and coach Dennis Green had all but dismissed multiple times the idea of chasing a high-profile running back. At the recent scouting combine, Green said the team avoids “blockbuster deals,” which is what it would take to sign James.

“If you ask me if we’re going to go after one of the incredible backs that might be available in a blockbuster deal, that probably will not happen,” Green said.

Then again, that was before the Cards got another $7.5 million of cap space with the new collective bargaining agreement, which might have changed their thinking.

Ironically, the Colts had been looking for a second-round pick for James prior to last season. But the Cards passed and used the pick on J.J. Arrington — the back who will be relegated to the bench if James came to Arizona.

James is coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he ran for 1,506 yards and 13 touchdowns and had an additional 44 receptions.

James, who will turn 28 Aug. 1, does already have 2,544 “touches” (carries plus catches) in his career. There are concerns how much longer a high-mileage back will remain productive, one of the reasons the Cardinals have been hesitant to pursue such a back. James also suffered a major knee injury in 2001.

But James has averaged 320 carries a year since then, and he told SI.com Thursday he plans on playing many more seasons.

“You have to take it on a case-by-case basis,” James said. “I take care of myself, so don’t accuse me of being injury-prone because of what happens to other guys.”

James also has made a habit of conducting his offseason workouts at home in Florida rather than with the Colts, which may conflict with the Cardinals. Green has made it clear he wants all his players to go through offseason workouts in Arizona.

The Cardinals do not want to be used as leverage for James to jump his price tag, something that has happened to the franchise in the past. That may lead them to try to get a deal done quickly.

The Colts have interest in bringing James back, but general manager Bill Polian told the Indianapolis Star in Friday’s editions “our clear inclination is to sit and see what the market does.”

Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
If James signs here, then no LenDale White. Do we take a chance on Young, if he drops to us? If we address the OL and DT in Free agency, then Young would look like a no-brainer (no pun intended).

The Shark
BAP. They draft the guy, who's #1 on the board. But need is calcalated into the board, so White would not be BAP if Edge signs with us.

Young could be a possibility at #10. TE Vernon Davis, FS Michael Huff, LB Chad Greenway, DT Ngata, QB Cutler and CB Tye Hill are other possibilities.

I would bet a lot of money on that we end up with one of those seven players if we find a RB in FA.

Last edited:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
All of a sudden you are excited.....Edge versus the idea of Kosier and all the other "scrubs" Green et al want to bring in and sign.....you puppet master wannabe.

I used to like you....but you are no different than "sails in a wind".

Grow up, spanky. The little rascals was cancelled decades ago.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One salient point is that if Edge comes to Arizona he becomes the player with the highest profile day one. Truth be told the Colts were a much better team when he was healthy yet Manning was the one who got all the love.

James has to be chomping at the bit to step out of Manning's Shadow.

ItsInTheCards

Bomb2Quan
Reaction score
Shane H said:
It was on KFFL.

the guys at kffl just troll the various online newpaper articles and get their tidbits. they have no contacts, nor do they do their own research.

Almost all of their reports start with such and such of x newspaper reports that. KFFL has no inside info.

ItsInTheCards

Bomb2Quan
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Story confirmed and Urban adds more names to who we want

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=60885

It'll be interesting if Edge does sign, if he lives out there full time. I dont think he'd have any probs staying out in the valley for the offseason workout because its warm. Granted, no beach with scantily clad women, boats or jetskis, but its not like the spring weather in Indy.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we sign Edge, it will be a high watermark for this team. I'd love to see us nab Davis at #10 then. With Edge's pass catching skills, could you imagine WHO you would cover if we ran a Play Action and you had to cover Fitz, Boldin, Davis, WR3 (whoever that may be), and Edge? Good lord, players brains would explode right there on the field.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
If we sign Edge, it will be a high watermark for this team. I'd love to see us nab Davis at #10 then. With Edge's pass catching skills, could you imagine WHO you would cover if we ran a Play Action and you had to cover Fitz, Boldin, Davis, WR3 (whoever that may be), and Edge? Good lord, players brains would explode right there on the field.

Funny

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
:lmao:

ds512az

All Star
Reaction score
Redrage said:
One salient point is that if Edge comes to Arizona he becomes the player with the highest profile day one. Truth be told the Colts were a much better team when he was healthy yet Manning was the one who got all the love.

James has to be chomping at the bit to step out of Manning's Shadow.
My thoughts exactly.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

"Greatest show on turf'" comes to mind, or has that already been used.

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

Don't forget Vernon Davis at 10.

Cardinal Mike!!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, let's take it to the next level of dreaming...

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 638

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Exactly when it comes to the draft and guys like Davis.

I say take James and the draft.

The hell with all the other free agent losers. I know teams like the Pats built their team on middle or below FA's but we've gone that route.

If we get James I'd be so geeked that I might hang glide nude over the new stadium! :D

War Birds

Veteran
Reaction score
if we get james i will take a crap in a bottle and smell it.... sorry im drunk already---the suspense has guided me back to the bottle

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05