Edge really should shut his mouth about touches

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I think coaching is the major player in the Cards problems its not because he isnt getting touches.

26 in the first game as well as 3 receptions

18 in the 2nd game as well as 7 receptions (were behind and needed to throw more IMO)

24 in the 3rd game as well as 1 reception

He is getting 26.1 touches per game pretty close to 30 which is a pretty damn good work load especially for a guy with the mileage that he has on him. Edge complaining about touches is only going to make things worse not better. He has to remember that we do have two guys by the name of Boldin and Fitz on this team as well and both are every bit as capable in the clutch and at moving the sticks. They need their touches as well. This team isnt set up to be a one man show and if thats what he wanted he shouldnt have come here. Two out of the three games he is right at the 25 carry mark. He really has no reason or cause to bitch.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I agree that is uncalled for, but he did this in Indy as well. I'm not condoning his comments, but it's nothing new at this point.

With the game on the line he wants the ball. And all great players want it that way.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that is uncalled for, but he did this in Indy as well. I'm not condoning his comments, but it's nothing new at this point.

With the game on the line he wants the ball. And all great players want it that way.

Understandable. But we have other great players who or more than capable in those situations(with the right QB) :D

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

But at the same time it's also refreshing at some level. Here's a guy stepping up saying that the team can put the game on his shoulders.

But what does that say about Edge's faith in the OL? Edge should have topped 100 yards last night, so maybe he actually thinks the line can block.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
But at the same time it's also refreshing at some level. Here's a guy stepping up saying that the team can put the game on his shoulders.

But what does that say about Edge's faith in the OL? Edge should have topped 100 yards last night, so maybe he actually thinks the line can block.

I agree Bach. I think (hope) what Edge is saying is Warner is either fumbling or throwing picks today. Why not just let him hand it to me? Of course he still has to take the snap.

Man I'm a big Warner fan but I'm starting to worry. I've been telling myself that he doesn't have much time because of the line. But I think Edge proved today that he can indeed run behind this line. And he did put the game on his shoulders during the comeback.

I'm not ready for Leinert yet. Warner is struggling the lasts 2 games so have him give the dang ball to Edge.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your not understanding why Edge is mad. I cant tell you how many times I saw him in the flat wide open as Warner throws into double coverage at fitz or boldin.

Throwing to your RB in the flat is just as good as a good running game. Keeps the LB's honest not back intercepting balls.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Your not understanding why Edge is mad. I cant tell you how many times I saw him in the flat wide open as Warner throws into double coverage at fitz or boldin.

Throwing to your RB in the flat is just as good as a good running game. Keeps the LB's honest not back intercepting balls.

Agreed. How many times have opposing teams used this to great effect against us?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Great point. And you know what QB i have noticed is one of the best at this check down. The one we have currently sitting on the bench. And i ain't talking about Navarre.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PLease. The man got 9 touches in the second half. I'd be upset as well. The Rams showed no ability to stop the run. All we had to do was pound the rock and couldn't even hand off to do that.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PLease. The man got 9 touches in the second half. I'd be upset as well. The Rams showed no ability to stop the run. All we had to do was pound the rock and couldn't even hand off to do that.

And yet you place all the blame on Warner and none on the coaches for yesterday and wouldn't they be the ones to make sure the Cards ran the ball?

seesred

Reaction score
I'm glad that Edge is upset. I'm glad that we have a guy who is not just another going threw the motions. He has proven time and time again in close games give him the ball. He is a great player. If I'm Green Warner has just one more game and I would tell him so. 8 fumbles...Not even Plummer at his worst can beat those numbers. 3 turnovers yesterday in the red zone? Unforgivable.

GBR

Big Super

Kard's Kool-Aid Drinker
Reaction score
That Edge is angry is a good thing. I want to see this team angry, furious, ready to go out and kill something. I don't even care that Edge didn't keep it in house. What worries me is that other than a select few others, no one else on the team seems that upset about it. Where's the passion?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And yet you place all the blame on Warner and none on the coaches for yesterday and wouldn't they be the ones to make sure the Cards ran the ball?

Oh please... hell yes the play calling was suspect at times.... BUT EVEN WITH THAT SAID.... had warner freaking not been a complete bonehead we STILL would have won the game. Why can't you see that? It's like 95% Warners fault and like 5% everyone else's. You can find fault in anyone you want, but it was painfully obvious it was on Kurt.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

That's the way I see it too Redsz. I don't think it's about the number more than it's about when. We had some opportunities to get Edge really going in the 4th and we didn't take advantage. Especially late.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I got the feeling yesterday the that the Cards coaching staff didn't believe in their running game or at least don't want to commit to it. Sure seems funny to me that on a 3rd and 1 or 2 we end up passing the ball when Edge has just gained 5 or 6 on the prior down.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I got the feeling yesterday the that the Cards coaching staff didn't believe in their running game or at least don't want to commit to it. Sure seems funny to me that on a 3rd and 1 or 2 we end up passing the ball when Edge has just gained 5 or 6 on the prior down.

This kind of stuff kills me, in the NFL now 3rd and 2 is basically a passing down, that's not me talking that's basically what's going to be called 75% of the time.

I don't know how we are supposed to believe in a run game when prior to this when we needed 3rd down yardage there was a 50-50 shot the play gets stuffed.

The play calling wasn't perfect but it was good enough to win the game.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It's called not being predictable. Earlier in the game it was like 3rd and 3 and we ran a toss for a first down. When was the last time that happened? The coaches made calls against our tendencies just unfortunately that one messed up.

ds512az

All Star
Reaction score
maybe if he put a little more effort into it, he would get the 50 touches he wants....

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's called not being predictable. Earlier in the game it was like 3rd and 3 and we ran a toss for a first down. When was the last time that happened? The coaches made calls against our tendencies just unfortunately that one messed up.

I see what you're saying, but we sure seem to be awful predictable on first downs. Seems we run probably 85 to 95 percent of the time.

I guess the good news out of this game was the O-line did much better than the past 2 games this year.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely, 100% correct.

He's not mad about getting run plays so much as being ignored when wide open, then a bad pass is thrown.

He's also mad about the inconsistent play calling where we hardly run in the third quarter, then run about 5 times in a row a few times in the fourth. There is no rythm to the offensive playcalling.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Edge should say something, SPEAK UP EDGE and KEEP SPEAKING UP!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it depends on a lot of things, Rickey Watters did the same thing his whole career and it drove coaches and players nuts. Watters once led the entire NFL in touches one year in Philly, and complained he wanted the ball more. People got sick of him talking.

Edge has a lot more credibility than watters did of course but it can be a negative if he keeps griping after losses that he wants the ball more. What he's forgetting is the reason his touches might be down is we lost those 2 games so we weren't running out the clock to save a lead. When you win every week like he did for most of last year, you get a lot of end of game carries.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
As much as I think coaching is the major player in the Cards problems its not because he isnt getting touches.

26 in the first game as well as 3 receptions

18 in the 2nd game as well as 7 receptions (were behind and needed to throw more IMO)

24 in the 3rd game as well as 1 reception

He is getting 26.1 touches per game pretty close to 30 which is a pretty damn good work load especially for a guy with the mileage that he has on him. Edge complaining about touches is only going to make things worse not better. He has to remember that we do have two guys by the name of Boldin and Fitz on this team as well and both are every bit as capable in the clutch and at moving the sticks. They need their touches as well. This team isnt set up to be a one man show and if thats what he wanted he shouldnt have come here. Two out of the three games he is right at the 25 carry mark. He really has no reason or cause to bitch.

I think the point was how WELL he was running, but he didn't seem to get the touches when the cardinals needed him to control the game and slow down Holt. Just an idea.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
All I can say is it's not the quantity he is bitching about.
3rd and 2...pass INT
3rd and goal from the 1..pass int

This isn't Marcell Ship or Josh Scobey, we have a horse, a man who CAN find the end zone use him.