Emmitt on MNF?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For cry eye, the guy spent a 100 years in Dallas. What a man does on his day off is his business. It's his perogative if he wanted to go visit some old friends.
Then he goes on to say on national tv that the dedication and attitude of this Cardinal Team and players is the closest thing since his Super Bowl years with the Cowboys.
SINCE HIS SUPER BOWL YEARS WITH THE COWBOYS. Not his last year with the Cowboys. Not his entire career with the Cowboys. His Super Bowl years.
That says a lot about our team.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Tuesday is the player's day off. Team meetings and/or practices are not allowed.
"Not allowed?" Maybe they don't usually have anything scheduled, but I doubt they're "not allowed."

Maybe I'm wrong, though. :confused:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only part that made me uncomfortable is when the reporter quoted Emmitt in saying Jerry Jones is still his boss.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care where he spends his free time (and I thought I had heard that he had some business in Dallas) ... as long as he scores TDs for the Cards on Sunday.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
He said he loves playing for Green, we're on a roll, working hard. Closest thing he's been around since Dallas in the winning years. I will say he did a nice job of promoting the Cards and Green. But I STILL think it was just weird and you could see at first he wasn't really glad that ABC was talking to him and I'm fairly certain it was because he knew it would appear odd.

Tafoya asked him about the hit by Roy Williams last year too, he said he's trying to forget about it.

I just can't remember another current player standing on his old teams sideline during a game.

In no way do I think Emmitt is a traitor, it just seemed weird.

I thought Tafoya did a horrible job of interviewing him. You could tell he didn't want to do it and probably shouldn't have. Tafoya's references to the game last year and then closing with how he cried made me think I was watching frickin Oprah, not MNF. ABC is slowly ruining MNF. The opening song blows, Tafoya blows, all this halftime feature crap blows.

Bring back the old song, get a real sideline reporter, maybe someone who has actually played football, and show highlights at halftime again. That worked!
:thumbup:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
pete said:
I thought Tafoya did a horrible job :thumbup:

She always does. I'm sorry to say it, but she almost never gets the injuries or stories right. she just seems so unprepared. I feel embarrassed for her. :shrug:

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm clear, I'm not saying Emmitt is a traitor and he sold out the team or whatever some seem to think I'm saying. The fact that apparently said on Dan Patrick he'd be at the game makes me feel better, I hadn't heard that before.

What I "thought I saw" was a guy standing on the sideline of his old team, not expecting to be "caught" by ABC and then sheepishly agreeing to an interview and realizing I better talk up the Cards or this is really going to look weird me being here. Apparently that's not the case or he wouldn't have said it on Dan Patrick, again I didn't know that when I posted.

I still think it's "odd" that he's not wearing a Cards hat or jacket and attending the game with Larry and Quan or something but I do realize he spent his whole career in Dallas. I just don't think it's "common" for NFL players to do that. I suspect if Eddie George were caught on the Titans sideline during a MNF game his Cowboy teammates might object.

I like Emmitt, I think he's doing wonders for us this year, I just wish it hadn't looked so awkward. Not suggesting Green cut him or something, just found it a little unusual.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Emmitt did say he had meetings early in the morning so he did have an alibi. I don't think it looked good either. The Cards are in the playoff hunt and he should be focussed on that, not running here and there on his days off. Especially to the stadium of his former team for a MNF football game.

He should have declined the interview and I bet he wishes he would have.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pete said:
Emmitt did say he had meetings early in the morning so he did have an alibi. I don't think it looked good either. The Cards are in the playoff hunt and he should be focussed on that, not running here and there on his days off. Especially to the stadium of his former team for a MNF football game.

He should have declined the interview and I bet he wishes he would have.

to be honest my girlfriend made a good point about it, if he HAD declined the interview, when he left early for the meeting, it would have looked REALLY bad, like a total "damn ABC had me on tape I gotta get out of here" thing. So once they saw him on camera he really had no choice but to do the interview if they asked.

I don't think it's anything huge but I absolutely do wonder if Green knew he was going and what he thinks about it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That Emmitt was there was bad. What made up for it was the 90 seconds or so John Madden and Al Michaels spent talking up the Cards, how they're turning it around in the desert, etc. at halftime.

Anyone who thinks Emmitt wouldn't rather still be a Cowboy right now than an Cardinal is fooling themselves.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Maybe his meeting was with Jerry Jones about a new contract for next year. Emmitt has been acting strange lately with his I'll decide in Dec. what to do talk. Does he want to resign? Retire? Go somewhere else? Is something going on behind the scenes with him and the Cards for next year? You have to wonder with some of the statements he's made lately.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'll be very very very glad when he is no longer a Cardinal.

He did his two years, we did our two years and while I believe it has been a wash with him contributing to our team it is just insulting to everyone involved.

Emmitt can go over to the Cowboys after Parcells quits.

Clancy P is unfortunately going with him I'm afraid.

chickenhead

Reaction score
He shouldn't be on another team's sidelines. It's just bad form, and it makes our team look second rate, regardless of what Madden and Michaels said, IMO. At least all the AZ Cowboy fans he was supposed to bring in are happy.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pete said:
Maybe his meeting was with Jerry Jones about a new contract for next year. Emmitt has been acting strange lately with his I'll decide in Dec. what to do talk. Does he want to resign? Retire? Go somewhere else? Is something going on behind the scenes with him and the Cards for next year? You have to wonder with some of the statements he's made lately.

My guess is if he retires, he'll sign with Dallas so he can instantly retire there, and I have no problem with that.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
My guess is if he retires, he'll sign with Dallas so he can instantly retire there, and I have no problem with that.

I think that is a given but I kind of get the feeling he wants to pad his records some more either with the Cards, or another team. Obviously, he can still play.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Name one other time, that an active player in the NFL, has been allowed on the sidelines, during a regular season game, of a team that he doesn't play for.

Never.

It's not right.

I'll be so glad when he's gone. He sucks up all the positive vibes the Cardinals have earned on the field, it's always all about Emmitt. He has been stained blue forever. Even when he feels like what he's doing may look bad, and tries to bail himself out by talking up the Cardinals, all you see is Emmitt the cowpuke, on the sidelines in Irving Texas, his mouth moving, but the visual drowns out the audio.

Personally, I hate it.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Name one other time, that an active player in the NFL, has been allowed on the sidelines, during a regular season game, of a team that he doesn't play for.

That was the part that bothered me as I said when I first posted. I just don't recall ever seeing it before from an active player.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:

Never.

It's not right.

I'll be so glad when he's gone. He sucks up all the positive vibes the Cardinals have earned on the field, it's always all about Emmitt. He has been stained blue forever. Even when he feels like what he's doing may look bad, and tries to bail himself out by talking up the Cardinals, all you see is Emmitt the cowpuke, on the sidelines in Irving Texas, his mouth moving, but the visual drowns out the audio.

Personally, I hate it.

I take it you don't like Emmitt or the Cowboys.....

I don't think he should have been there, but he did make up for it somewhat with all the good things he said about the Cards - and when was the last time the Cards got good pub on MNF?

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Russ-

Look at it this way:

Jake Plummer was in town on his bye weekend in Denver for the Pat Tillman jersey retirement. He was on the sidelines for the ASU game. Now, Jake had the whole weekend off, he didn't just jet into town for the game ...

What if Jake Plummer was on the sidelines for the Cards/Giants game? At least Jake plays in the AFC.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, the more I think about it, the more I am starting to think he shouldn't have done it. People at work keep coming up to me and asking me what I thought about Emmitt being on the sidelines. It's definitely raised a lot of eye brows.

I wonder how his teammates will react/are reacting to this.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Lex said:
Russ-

Look at it this way:

Jake Plummer was in town on his bye weekend in Denver for the Pat Tillman jersey retirement. He was on the sidelines for the ASU game. Now, Jake had the whole weekend off, he didn't just jet into town for the game ...

What if Jake Plummer was on the sidelines for the Cards/Giants game? At least Jake plays in the AFC.

Bye weeks are different. This is a work week.

BTW, speaking of the ASU Tillman Tribute, it was 100% first class. No losers booing! :thumbup:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pete said:
Um, are you seriously keeping track of the days until convict martha is free?

The link does that - I just update my sig line every now and then.

BTW - thanks for reminding me to update it this week! :D

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'll tell you who we don't get anything but jabs from,Boomer Esiason.Almost every MNF radio broadcast he gets one in.Last night it was something along the lines of the Cardinals are 4-5 and playing well at home but there doing it in front of 20,000 fans.Marv Albert actually got him pretty good last year,the subject came up of a player who was AWOL from his team & Boomer was ripping him.Marv reminded him that he did the same thing when he was with Arizona,all Boomer could say was we were well known as not wanting to pay our players.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
You know, the more I think about it, the more I am starting to think he shouldn't have done it. People at work keep coming up to me and asking me what I thought about Emmitt being on the sidelines. It's definitely raised a lot of eye brows.

I wonder how his teammates will react/are reacting to this.

there's the inherent problem - WE ALL THINK ABOUT THIS STUFF TOO MUCH!

Was it weird? Yeah - but honestly - who cares - Oh, other fans might give us crap - that's ncie as we continue to demoralize the rest of the league because their teams lost to GASP the Cardinals!

It's not that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure every guy in that locker room KNOWS Emmitt would have liked to retire a Cowboy, but I think they SEE every week him giving it all he's got on the field - not because he's a Cardinal - but because Emmitt doesn't know how to play any other way.

Here - I'll do us all a favor and send this thread on a tangent:

Mike Vick is better thasn Jake Plummer.

Josh McCown should be benched.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05