ESPN Changes Today

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dilfer, Herder & Ted Miller were some of my favorites.

But if that's what it took to get Eamon Brennon out, so be it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportas

Really...really
Back in the day, ESPN had a monopoly on national telecasting of major sports. They expanded this net to encompass so-called "trash sports."

The beginning of the end was the launch of a narrow-cast channel for each major pro sport -NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL. These channels paired with local sports channels in each metro market aired most of the key league contests & left only scraps for ESPN to pick up along with Sportscenter reruns and even more trash sports.

Yes, ESPN did, in a sense, "eat itself", but in a broader sense, it was eaten by professional sports.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Should've just taken a giant eraser to Highly Questionable and all of the fools on that show. Could've saved tons of money from just whacking LeBatard and Bomani Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Too much manufactured controversy, too much repetitiveness, too little substance or games. And as mentioned, too much slavish devotion to just a couple of markets. Sure, New York is the biggest market. Remember, though, that 95% of America doesn't live there and frankly probably hates those teams.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I haven't watched ESPN in years. The last time I watched SC they had 2 minutes of football, then 20 minutes of a bunch of other sports I don't care about, then back to football for 5 minutes. Meh, I just don't have time for it and I don't want to sit around waiting 30 minutes for what I can read in a minute browsing this site or Reddit.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Should've just taken a giant eraser to Highly Questionable and all of the fools on that show. Could've saved tons of money from just whacking LeBatard and Bomani Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never thought it could be worse than Cowherd but then LeBatard and his buddy replaced his show and I was proven so wrong. Horrible show.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never thought it could be worse than Cowherd but then LeBatard and his buddy replaced his show and I was proven so wrong. Horrible show.

I don't care for LeBatard on TV, but some of the stuff he and Stugotz come up with on radio is downright funny, imo. Bomani Jones talks in street slang and doesn't sound fake, to me at least, I like him on radio too. I've even gotten to be able to take small doses of Stephen A..... Cowherd does nothing for me.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who watch golf, Dottie Pepper is gone.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lebatard is the best sports show they got on radio by far it's hilarious.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So you fire guys like McMurphy, Katz, Werder, Crawford, O'Neill,and Stark, and yet, keep clowns McHenry, Kellerman, LeBatard, and Jones?

Disappointing.

EDIT: McHenry is going to be doing Cards draft coverage and then is gonna be canned. Bye, Felicia

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. I watch only what is broadcast over the air now, so it has been years since I have seen the Coyotes, Suns or Diamondbacks. It's just not worth the price.

Hopefully once these contracts expire, all sports will offer a streaming service that is reasonably priced and includes local market teams.

I share Sling Blue with a buddy. We got in when it was $20 and you're allowed 3 streams so we both can watch. $10/m and I get all of the Suns, D-backs and Coyotes games plus a bunch of other live content. No subsidizing ESPN/Disney either.

Jason1970

Reaction score
MLB,NBA & NHL are in for a rude awakening and to a lesser extent the NFL in their next TV deals. When I sit at home and watch players like Greinke pulling in 35M a year to pitch 30X the industry is just begging for a reset. How many Basketball and baseball games do you watch with THOUSANDS of empty seats. The TV $ is what was funding all the insane salaries. Now that's going away. Stadiums will get smaller in the future with 1/2 the capacity being corporate/suite type seating for the big $ spenders while us common folk watch at home with hours of commercials

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mark May on 98.7. He got cut yesterday. Sucky
Yeah it definitely sucks for those guys, but like he said they all kinda knew it was coming eventually.... ESPN just got way too big. Does there need to be 8 sports channels with constant overlapping talk shows and team reporters, writers, bloggers, correspondents for every game of every sport?

Tho he did say he was happy with the severance saying; "Disney is taking very, very good care of me for the next few years."

So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
MLB,NBA & NHL are in for a rude awakening and to a lesser extent the NFL in their next TV deals. When I sit at home and watch players like Greinke pulling in 35M a year to pitch 30X the industry is just begging for a reset. How many Basketball and baseball games do you watch with THOUSANDS of empty seats. The TV $ is what was funding all the insane salaries. Now that's going away. Stadiums will get smaller in the future with 1/2 the capacity being corporate/suite type seating for the big $ spenders while us common folk watch at home with hours of commercials

What makes you think the networks will begin offering less for the broadcast rights to these games/leagues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05