ESPN News just reported..... (Old Thread - March 2005)

ThunderCard

Reaction score
This is all a rumor and there was nothing to confirm the Edge is coming to AZ.

OP
OP
Skedoozy

Skedoozy

*lurk lurk lurk*
Reaction score
No one ever said it was confirmed. IT was something stated by one of the asshats on ESPN News. That's it. Something was stated, it was passed along.

I called Edge to ask if it was true and he told me to call Drew.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Skedoozy said:
No one ever said it was confirmed. IT was something stated by one of the asshats on ESPN News. That's it. Something was stated, it was passed along.

I called Edge to ask if it was true and he told me to call Drew.
I think it was stated that the Cards might be interested. We all know how the telephone game goes, from that to Cards will sign Edge tommorrow. I would think that someone, anyone would have interest in the 3rd biggest trade in 5 years.:shrug:

OP
OP
Skedoozy

Skedoozy

*lurk lurk lurk*
Reaction score
They said it was going down tomorrow. FUG, you act like *I* am the one who said it on ESPN NEWS. Some of you can be very frustrating. I'm just a fan like you, but hey why not chastise me repeatedly because you're not happy.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Skedoozy said:
They said it was going down tomorrow. FUG, you act like *I* am the one who said it on ESPN NEWS. Some of you can be very frustrating. I'm just a fan like you, but hey why not chastise me repeatedly because you're not happy.

Haha, dont' worry about it bro. I think it's just that it would be such big news if it's true, imagine how we'll all feel now if it's not. No anger is directed at you, nor should it be. We Cards fans tend to overreact at most situations involving the team.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Pricey backs aren't in Cards' plans

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 12, 2005 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Cardinals have two things an elite running back desiring a new home may seek: a job opening and salary-cap space.

That's why they are mentioned prominently as possible suitors for Seattle's Shaun Alexander and Indianapolis' Edgerrin James. Both have been designated franchise players, but their teams are willing to trade them, and the clubs have made it known they would take less than a first-round pick in return.

[/font]The Cardinals have been contacted by James' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, but haven't heard yet from Alexander's representatives.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"We're not closing the door completely on any of those options," said Rod Graves, the Cardinals' vice president for football operations.

The door, however, isn't wide open. Both Graves and coach Dennis Green are reluctant to give up draft picks in trades. In fact, both have said they would like to accumulate more before next month's draft.

It didn't surprise Graves that neither the Colts nor the Seahawks are demanding at least one first-round pick in return for those players. "If they are truly interested in generating interest in the market, they have to be willing to negotiate," he said.

The franchise tag for running backs carries a tender of $6.32 million. Indianapolis has informed James that a long-term deal probably isn't possible at this juncture. The Seahawks have made no move to re-sign Alexander to a multiyear contract.

By using the franchise label, the teams retain the right to match any offer or receive two first-round choices as compensation for letting them go. No other team is willing to give up that much.

There appears to be a small market for James and Alexander, even though they are among the best in the NFL.

Age, money and the upcoming draft are working against them. Both have August birthdays. James will turn 27; Alexander, 28. James has been a workhorse the past few seasons, and Alexander hasn't missed a game in his five-year career.

But the life expectancy of NFL running backs isn't long, and some teams may prefer to draft a running back who hasn't yet taken a beating.

Graves doesn't necessarily buy into that theory.

"History will bear out that there have been quite a few productive running backs in their more mature years on championship teams," he said. "Look at what New England did last year with Corey Dillon (who's 30)."

Money is a bigger factor. Both James and Alexander will want large, multiyear contracts, with possible signing bonuses in the range of $15 million. Teams appear reluctant to commit huge dollars and possibly creating future salary-cap problems.

In addition, this is a deep draft for backs. The Cardinals, with the eighth overall pick, may have a shot at one of the top three: Ronnie Brown and Carnell "Cadillac" Williams of Auburn and Cedric Benson of Texas. Or they could wait until the second round and take one, such as California's J.J. Arrington.

There aren't many teams in need of backs. The most noticeable are the Cardinals, Miami and Tampa Bay.

Miami has the second overall pick, and the Buccaneers have the fifth.
[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0312cards0312.html[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I really hope we don't get him.[/font]

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
Skedoozy,

Welcome, but PLEASE, you can't do this. I am shaking like a man standing outside a dollar *****-house with 99 cents in his pocket.

Confirmation? Link? What forum?

*edit* oops, there it is. :)

Great line. Going to use that one and claim it as my own.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skedoozy said:

:newbie:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Brownie Points: Don’t expect Cards to land James

By Jerry Brown, Tribune
LOS ANGELES - The Cardinals are on the "call-back’’ list of Edgerrin James’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, but the chances of the Big Red working a deal to bring the star running back to Arizona is remote.

Even if the price tag on a trade seems reasonable — Rosenhaus said Wednesday the Colts won’t demand a first-round pick — the $10 million-plus signing bonus James will demand in a long-term deal would turn Arizona’s salary cap situation upside down.

And negotiating with Rosenhaus isn’t a long suit for Arizona (ask another client, Anquan Boldin about that).

The Cardinals need a running back. James is as good as it gets. But the two shall never meet.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=37826

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
The two may never meet . . . but the market for superstar running backs is crap right now because there are 3 studs sitting in the top 10. Both James and Alexander have to know they aren't going to get big bucks combined with the long term deal they are looking for.

These guys ought to sit down right next to Hartwell on the "I'm an overpriced football player national bus tour", coming to your town shortly.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's another Hartwell in 3-4 hours and Boston is now a 49er.
Any truth to the rumor - that ESPN reported that Indy wanted the Cardinals to throw in Mili in the deal? :)

(I didn't know about the rumor til just now. And I didn't stay up all night on the "Edgerrin Death Watch", but I have to admit that whipping thru 11 pages of posts on the subject just now was pretty hilarious (2nd only the the Q thread).

PS Don't blame Ske. Blame ourselves for almost believing ESPN (again!)

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will never happen. The Cardinals have utter disdain for

U of M players

Last Miami player Cards drafted was O J Anderson. :eek:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Skedoozy said:

Dont worray about it!

Welcome to the board!

:raccoon:

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
It will never happen. The Cardinals have utter disdain for

U of M players

Last Miami player Cards drafted was O J Anderson. :eek:

Randall Hill anyone, great wide reciever until he arrived with the Cards.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Codeofhammurabi said:
Randall Hill anyone, great wide reciever until he arrived with the Cards.

We didnt draft him unles Im mistaken.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
CHAPTER 7 said:
What's going to happen to our cap situation? He is a great RB but I hope we are not going into cap hell....

I could care less about CAP hell. live for this year and next as no one knows what lies three years down the road. Come on over EDGE.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
Blah, blah, blah. It's all speculation and rumor making us crazy. Until it happens, I am banning myself from Edge rumor threads!!

:banned:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
uh - when was Rdnall Hill ever GREAT? Especially before we got him.

That being said - for the most part, I don't think you can really go wrong taking a Miami defensive player over the course of the last five years in the first or second round.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Skedoozy said:

Don't worry about it. You did nothing wrong, IMO. But you're right about some on this board... they are incredibly self absorbed. Only their opinion is good enough for this board.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
red desert said:
Don't worry about it. You did nothing wrong, IMO. But you're right about some on this board... they are incredibly self absorbed. Only their opinion is good enough for this board.

Skedoozy, you'll learn - gott ahave thick skin around here and not take things so personal - hell - you do realize that most of the people yelling at you were home on a Friday night at 10:00(including me - yeah Production sapping all energy!:() :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05