ESPN Radio Trade Speculation......

asudevil83

Reaction score
i found this over in another forum:

ESPN radio reported that if the Utah Jazz cannot select Deron Williams at the #6 slot, they will package it with Collins, Harpring, the 34th selection, and even Kirilenko to Phoenix for the 21st selection, Quentin Richardson, and Shawn Marion.

Phoenix Suns apparently forced the deal onto the table, and the Utah Jazz will aim for Jarrett Jack,because of contract statuses with Amare's extension and Joe Johnson's contract.

this trade would save us almost nothing this year salarywise, but next year would save us about $5mil....therefore i dont really see much of a point in doing it.

the only reason i'd trade either one is for salary cap purposes. we are giving up more talent than we take, and for not that much of a savings.

Last edited:

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What forum?

Latest quotes from Utah or Sloan is that AK47 is untouchable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow - we're gonna blow up the team for Kirilenko huh? Where the hell did this story come from? That trade is WILD. For me - I'd be interested - Kirililenko is a FANTASTIC defensive player/DECENT rebounder, Harpring and Collins are nice role players who play D and the 6th pick would be great also - but would we really be willing to give up already on what we've started?

I also see NO reason whatsoever the Jazz would make that deal.

sunsfn

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-----------------2004/2005[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Matt Harpring[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] $4,545,000 [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$4,545,000[/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Andrei Kirilenko[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] $1,671,694 [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$10,967,500 [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$12,338,437 [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$13,709,375 [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$15,080,312 [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,451,250 [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$17,822,187[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jarron Collins[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] $1,625,017[/font]​

I would be very surprised if Utah would trade Kirilenko. I understood that the owner said he was untouchable.
But look at that salary starting next year.........YIKES!

-

Last edited:
OP
OP
asudevil83

asudevil83

Reaction score
it was first on the ESPN forums and then on Realgm. it sounds like its extremely fake though, gauging from the response of other posters.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:

it doesnt matter that the salaries dont match, because the jazz are under the cap. this trade would save us almost nothing this year salarywise, but next year would save us about $5mil....therefore i dont really see much of a point in doing it.

the only reason i'd trade either one is for salary cap purposes. we are giving up more talent than we take, and for not that much of a savings.

You know what....? I'm going to have to think about that one...I'll post my opinion later.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who would the Suns take at #6? Martynas?

Could keep him overseas for another year until Eisley comes off the books.

Who would the Suns take at #34? Diener I hope.

Last edited:

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
i think this is bs. why would the suns rip the team apart right away. Dont get me wrong, I think I would probably do the trade, but I dont think utah would.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
On one hand, I'd definitely do this trade player wise. On the other hand, I don't think it would be wise to trade 2 starters. That being said, the team would be sick next year. AK47 is a VERY good defender, and instantly helps us there. Harpring is an awesome player to bring off the bench, or start in Q's place if Phoenix sticks with small-ball. Collins is interchangeable with Hunter, so you're essentially getting a backup center. Not to mention the SIXTH pick in the draft. Now that I think of it, Utah would be absolutely crazy to make this trade.

Traditional lineup (Built for the playoffs.)

Nash
JJ
Kirelenko
Amare
Hunter

Barbosa
Jackson
Harpring
??? (#6 pick?)
Collins

Small-ball lineup. (Continued from this year.)

Nash
JJ
Harpring
Kirelenko
Amare

Barbosa
Jackson
??
Hunter
Collins

Again, on one hand, the last thing I think they should do is blow the team up. On the other hand, you're addressing EXACTLY what the Suns lacked this season. Defense and a bench. All of that being said, I think I'd still be against the trade just for the sake of keeping a team together for once. But damn...it would be tempting.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I doubt the legitimacy of the source, but this is a deal that would definitely be worth looking at in a talent sense. It would take a lot of balls to blow up the team after one playoff loss even if we do get a good deal for a couple starters.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
Who would the Suns select at #6?

With Joey Graham moving up quickly, he could be more than an adequate replacement for Marion. Better shooter than Marion, which could open the lane for the "point center".

sunsfn

Reaction score
The Jazz have 2 first round picks, and 3, 2nd round picks.

There has been articles on their web sites that they were trying to trade some of them.

1st round
---
2nd round
----------
With the trade they would pick up the suns 1st round #21, and give the 2nd #34.

So, they would have #21 & #27 in the first round, and #51 & #60,
still 4 picks.

The suns would have the #6 pick in the first round and #34 & #57 in the 2nd round. The suns have been trying out a lot of 2nd round picks!!!

At #6 the suns could take Antoine Wright, Martell Webster, Danny Granger, ??.
Not sure there is a big man worth #6. They have to take the best player for sure if they make this trade.
At #34 it's wide open. You just have to go to NBAdraft net and see all the players that could go in the 2nd round. Maybe that raw center they tried out Deji Akindele, a 7 footer that used to play soccor.

-

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Take a team that if healthy with a one year older and wiser Amare will be the favorite to win it all and tear it apart?

Q and Marion may have been off during the playoffs but they were huge all year.

A big part of the Suns sucess this year was chemistry.

Nash
JJ
Kirelenko
Amare
Hunter

Yeah that sounds like a bunch of dudes that'll get along and love hangin out after the game.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Also trading guys to Utah is the cold war equivalent of sending someone to Siberia.

If I was a free agent I'd have second thoughts about signing with the team that sent Q and Brandy to SLC.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would understand this deal from the Jazz perspective. Neither AK nor Shawn are dominant inside offensive players. AK is a better defender and Shawn is a better athlete. Depending on the team, it's something of a wash.

Harpring and Richardson are both second tier solid starters. Harpring had much better shooting from the field while Q was much better for three:

Matt Harpring
Utah Jazz
Position: F-G
Height: 6-7 Weight: 231
College : Georgia Tech '98
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 14.0
RPG 6.2
APG 1.8
SPG .90
BPG .21
FG% .489
FT% .778
3P% .209
MPG 33.1

Quentin Richardson
Phoenix Suns
Position: F-G
Height: 6-6 Weight: 230
College : DePaul '02
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 14.9
RPG 6.1
APG 2.0
SPG 1.22
BPG .34
FG% .389
FT% .739
3P% .358
MPG 35.9

The only thing I can think of is that AK is under contract until 2011 while Marion only through 08/09. The Jazz have put a lot money into a guy who was injured much of the season. At the same time, Harpring will be a free agent after next season, while Q is under contract for four more years.

I'd be surrised if the Jazz were offering the #6. It doesn't look like this deal solves the Jazz's problems.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:

So, essentially you didn't hear the ESPN Radio report yourself? It was someone on a sports message board quoting that they did (hearsay).... Hmmm....does not sound entirely credible whatsoever (and no..this isnt a personal attack on you at all)...

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
hmmm... i dont know what to make of this

Q and Harpring seems to be a wash

Idk what to make of AK-47 and Matrix

Shawn Marion was so integral to our success this season but the prospect of adding Kirilenko is interesting (especially if we also get the sixth pick)

The jazz boards are talking about this too. They also seem skeptical about the legitimacy of this trade

In case anyone if wondering...

http://www.jazzfanz.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=9460&sid=f88209441b0c0b0790ddb7a19e2f8726

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
The Jazz need to improve athleticism but AK47 is their best athlete (although IMO, Marion is better) but the Suns supposedly need a big or toughness and I'm wondering who'd be worth #6?

Unless it's Raymond Felton but replacing Matrix and Q with replacements, to save money? There has got to be somebody the Suns really want at #6 and I don't see a Top-level Center (I know Suns liked Martynas last year though)... but I've seen Fran Vasquez and Tiago Splitter and they didn't impress me that much to break up the team for.

Maybe the Suns Front Office really reads this board and sees how badly fans want Ike Diogu? :)

I've never seen Martynas K., maybe he fits the system at 7'2-7'3?

moviebuff316

Registered
Reaction score
Fake Crap, Brian Colangelo said it himself that the major goals of the offseason was to keep the same group of guys, extend amare, re-sign joe ("Anyone who tries to sign Joe is wasting their time because Joe isn't going anywhere") and then add some depth to the bench. I highly doubt anyone from the starting five are going anywhere.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
BS.

Interesting, though.

Kirilenko and Harpring seem like walking injured lists, lately.

I don't think PHX would trade Marion or Q to a division rival. Especially, Utah.

But, I've seen weirder things happen.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
moviebuff316 said:
Fake Crap, Brian Colangelo said it himself that the major goals of the offseason was to keep the same group of guys, extend amare, re-sign joe ("Anyone who tries to sign Joe is wasting their time because Joe isn't going anywhere") and then add some depth to the bench. I highly doubt anyone from the starting five are going anywhere.

Amen

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
The Jazz need to improve athleticism but AK47 is their best athlete (although IMO, Marion is better) but the Suns supposedly need a big or toughness and I'm wondering who'd be worth #6?

Unless it's Raymond Felton but replacing Matrix and Q with replacements, to save money? There has got to be somebody the Suns really want at #6 and I don't see a Top-level Center (I know Suns liked Martynas last year though)... but I've seen Fran Vasquez and Tiago Splitter and they didn't impress me that much to break up the team for.

Maybe the Suns Front Office really reads this board and sees how badly fans want Ike Diogu? :)

I've never seen Martynas K., maybe he fits the system at 7'2-7'3?

Maybe the Suns are doing this so they can keep their promise to Diogu, at #6. :p

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I don't know what to say about it. I don't love it, and I don't hate it.

If the Suns were going to move Marion/Q - this is definitely a reasonable proposal.

I just don't know

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan