ESPN Radio Trade Speculation......

Reaction score
elindholm said:
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades."

I hope you're right, of course. But it's pretty easy to find examples of teams with stellar futures that didn't pan out. Heck, look at the Timberwolves this year. Just having the "potential" to be a great team isn't the same as being one.
Eric, It's easy to poke holes in our balloon. But please don't mention the 2004 T-Wolves in the same sentence with our squad again...you know the differences as well as anyone.:)

Spree, Sam I Am, Kandiman, Oliver Miller-I don't need to continue. The only stable personality they had (have) was KG.

We have a better chance to win a title over the next three years as Duncan has to stay healthy over the next 3 years.

Bum ankles for a 7-footer suck big time. After that the Spurs are only mildly interesting.

Our outlook is better than any other team in the league. Not much else can be gleaned from this year.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yes but thats four of their core players that won the finals with them. In addition, their other players have a lot of playoff experience.

That's a good point with respect to Horry, but Barry didn't have much deep playoff experience before now, and Mohammed had none. Never mind that freaky dude named "Udrih."

The point is we dont need to do anything drastic right now (unless AK is on the table at which point I am willing to throw marion at the jazz)

I definitely agree there, assuming that by "drastic" you mean "panicky, and failing to acquire any legitimate talent that can contribute right away." I've been consistently against all proposals that have the Suns giving up Marion (or even Richardson) for vague prospects.

I just think that the Suns should be looking carefully at all potential ways of improving the team, even those that involve trades of a core player. And I would guess that they are.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I just think that the Suns should be looking carefully at all potential ways of improving the team, even those that involve trades of a core player. And I would guess that they are.

I don't believe the Suns have any intention of trading any of their starting 5 especially since BC said, "WE aren't looking to make any major changes" or something to that effect.

Yeah, other teams have come close and faded away but I bet you can't name a team as young as the Suns that came this close and disappeared the next year.

And like the man said comparing the Suns to the Timberclowns is a joke.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't believe the Suns have any intention of trading any of their starting 5 especially since BC said, "WE aren't looking to make any major changes" or something to that effect.

They always say that. They said the same thing before trading Marbury, then said, "Oh, well but this was a really good deal." The only time an executive admits that he's looking for big trades is when his team flat out sucks. But big trades still happen, in spite of all of the denials leading up to them.

And like the man said comparing the Suns to the Timberclowns is a joke.

It was just an example. Lighten up. There are plenty of other cases out there; that was just the most recent one that came to mind.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
elindholm said:
They always say that. They said the same thing before trading Marbury, then said, "Oh, well but this was a really good deal." The only time an executive admits that he's looking for big trades is when his team flat out sucks. But big trades still happen, in spite of all of the denials leading up to them..

How about a wager? If the Suns don't trade one of their starting 5 before the season starts you have to use a clown picture of my choosing as your avatar for a month. If they do trade one of the starting 5 before the season I will use a clown picture of your choosing for a month.

elindholm said:
It was just an example. Lighten up. There are plenty of other cases out there; that was just the most recent one that came to mind.

I am the king of light. Name ONE team that was as young as the Suns, had the best record in the league and faded badly the next year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know I gave a couple of trade prposals earlier, but the more I think about it we are about three players away from getting past the WCF's. I feel we can get those players with our 2 draft picks and MLE. We shouldn't trade anyone just move players around in the lineup, ie. Marion to SF and Q to the bench.

The draft can get us a starting PF like Villanueva or Diogu if he slips, and maybe a backup PG like Aaron Miles or Chris Thomas leaving a back up C as the final piece to a championship team.

That's where the problem is. We could resign Hunter but how much is he worth? Other than him there really is much else. The only other option is a trade for one. I like Theo Ratliff or Kelvin Cato with the idea that they don't need to score much but can rebound and block shots. The only problem is I believe they both have large contracts which will probably hinder any trade unless it involves Q.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
I know I gave a couple of trade prposals earlier, but the more I think about it we are about three players away from getting past the WCF's. I feel we can get those players with our 2 draft picks and MLE. We shouldn't trade anyone just move players around in the lineup, ie. Marion to SF and Q to the bench.

The draft can get us a starting PF like Villanueva or Diogu if he slips, and maybe a backup PG like Aaron Miles or Chris Thomas leaving a back up C as the final piece to a championship team.

That's where the problem is. We could resign Hunter but how much is he worth? Other than him there really is much else. The only other option is a trade for one. I like Theo Ratliff or Kelvin Cato with the idea that they don't need to score much but can rebound and block shots. The only problem is I believe they both have large contracts which will probably hinder any trade unless it involves Q.

I was with you until you came to Cato. He is simply not very good. How does he only get 24.6 minutes a game with the Magic? By not being better than seriously injury slowed Tony Battie.

BTW, reports are that Miles has been stinking up the workouts he's been at and will drop from the draft.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I was with you until you came to Cato. He is simply not very good. How does he only get 24.6 minutes a game with the Magic? By not being better than seriously injury slowed Tony Battie.

BTW, reports are that Miles has been stinking up the workouts he's been at and will drop from the draft.

I was just throwing names I knew wouldn't cost much in a trade in the event Hunter leaves, plus we wouldn't need Cato for 24.6 minutes a game more like 15-20. Thus me saying the lack of back up C's available is our dilema.

As for Miles, again throwing PG's that are going to be available in Round 2. Hey if we got Deiner, Krauser, or Gilchrist it still will fill a need.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How about a wager?

I won't take that bet, because I think there's less than a 50% chance of a trade. Much less. I just think they're keeping their ears open, but there's no way for an outsider to establish that.

I definitely like the idea, though. If you can come up with something that's more fair, I'm game, because I'd love to see what humiliating clown avatar you come up with for me when I lose.

Name ONE team that was as young as the Suns, had the best record in the league and faded badly the next year.

I'm not talking about "fading badly." I really should never have mentioned the Timberwolves. I'm talking about not getting better. There are plenty of examples of young teams that looked good, stayed good, and never reached the top.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
elindholm said:
How about a wager?

I won't take that bet, because I think there's less than a 50% chance of a trade. Much less. I just think they're keeping their ears open, but there's no way for an outsider to establish that.

I definitely like the idea, though. If you can come up with something that's more fair, I'm game, because I'd love to see what humiliating clown avatar you come up with for me when I lose.

I was thinking about this one but I might be able to do better.

You must be registered for see images

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Damn the Bulls for not sucking this year. We should have at least a top 15 pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Wait, you mean you don't think I'm an idiot?

My life has lost all meaning.

will it give you meaning back if I tell you that while I don't think you're an idiot, I DO think you are a crotchety old coot?:D

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
tobiazz said:
Damn the Bulls for not sucking this year. We should have at least a top 15 pick.
no kidding and it was looking so promising at the start of the season.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
tobiazz said:

Damn the Suns for not losing the game against the Spurs (second to last). We would have tied the Clips record, and had a coin flip for their draft spot - which would have landed us Emeka.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Damn the Suns for not losing the game against the Spurs (second to last). We would have tied the Clips record, and had a coin flip for their draft spot - which would have landed us Emeka.

What???

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:

Last year the Phoenix Suns would have been tied with the LA Clippers for the fifth worst record in the NBA, but they beat the San Antonio Spurs in the second to last game. That would have given them a coin flip with the LA Clippers for the #6 spot in the draft lottery. The LA Clippers went on to win the lottery and get the #1 draft pick which they traded.

Joe Mama

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Last year the Phoenix Suns would have been tied with the LA Clippers for the fifth worst record in the NBA, but they beat the San Antonio Spurs in the second to last game. That would have given them a coin flip with the LA Clippers for the #6 spot in the draft lottery. The LA Clippers went on to win the lottery and get the #1 draft pick which they traded.

Joe Mama

Thanks for clearing that up. Interesting....

What pisses me off is that we essentially traded the #7 for the #21 this year.
:bang:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Thanks for clearing that up. Interesting....

What pisses me off is that we essentially traded the #7 for the #21 this year.
:bang:

sure, in hindsight it looks like a bad deal. Actually it locked like a bad deal as soon as Deng and Iguodala were available at #7. Still it's difficult to argue with the results. It's possible that the Suns could have traded a guy like Jake Voskuhl were more likely Cabarkapa to get the room under the cap to sign Q. Who really knows? I guess it's also possible that they could have found someone other than Jackson Vroman to include in the deal for Jimmy Jackson. Maybe Iguodala or Deng would have been this good for the team as Q was. We don't know for sure.

What we do know is that the way things worked out the Phoenix Suns had the best record during the regular season, played an incredibly exciting and enjoyable brand of basketball, and made it to the WCF. I'm not going to complain about how we got there, especially before I see the guy they actually get at #21. :)

Joe Mama

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
sure, in hindsight it looks like a bad deal. Actually it locked like a bad deal as soon as Deng and Iguodala were available at #7. Still it's difficult to argue with the results. It's possible that the Suns could have traded a guy like Jake Voskuhl were more likely Cabarkapa to get the room under the cap to sign Q. Who really knows? I guess it's also possible that they could have found someone other than Jackson Vroman to include in the deal for Jimmy Jackson. Maybe Iguodala or Deng would have been this good for the team as Q was. We don't know for sure.

What we do know is that the way things worked out the Phoenix Suns had the best record during the regular season, played an incredibly exciting and enjoyable brand of basketball, and made it to the WCF. I'm not going to complain about how we got there, especially before I see the guy they actually get at #21. :)

Joe Mama

If you think about it, the Suns essentially traded the #7 for Richardson, Jackson, and the #21. That's not TOO bad...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare and Emecka - holy cow - we would have won like 10 straight titles!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Amare and Emecka - holy cow - we would have won like 10 straight titles!

Yep. I am surprised that people don't bring that up more often. The Suns just couldn't lose that game for some reason.

Joe - it was actually the #2 pick - Orlando had the #1. Either way though, assuming we won the coin flip - we would have had either Howard or Okafor along with Amare on the front line.....

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Yep. I am surprised that people don't bring that up more often. The Suns just couldn't lose that game for some reason.

Joe - it was actually the #2 pick - Orlando had the #1. Either way though, assuming we won the coin flip - we would have had either Howard or Okafor along with Amare on the front line.....

that's right. It was the #2 pick. That would be a nice frontline.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If memory serves, we actually debated the merits of tanking that game in Utah. It would have made a lot of logical sense, yet they played one the best games of the season. There is a cliche about building on wins and maybe it came true.

...But I really wanted Okafor. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan