ESPN Reports Cards Change Mind

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Ok I'm a big Pirate fan and I really can't believe someone knows who Jose Deleon is on this board. That guy just couldn't get a break.

Thats because he couldn't catch a break in St. Louis either:thumbup:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And here it comes.....the infamous Cheese Wiz waffle.....wait for it....wait for it.....and if Kurt throws 3 tds and looks steller are we going to have to endure another Kurt vs Leinart PLEASE READ Cheese hysteria led posting free for all like this Mort rumor led you to that says KURT IS NOW...or something to that effect. You should have stayed on sabbatical. Your production has went way up on this board and way down on the manuscript. Just my opinion.:D

was that even originally written in english?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread has degenerated into a Warner -Leinart argument.

Getting back to the original post.

IMHO, There was no leak.What happened is Green was just as upset about Sundays game as we were. When asked if he was going to make a change at QB, he replied,"I do not comment or make personel decisions on Monday. However, we cannot keep fumbling and throwing ints."
That statement could be interpreted as giving consideration of change. Thus the rumors started to fly.
Had Green responded with "Warner is my QB.", this would have been a none story. There is or was no reason to "leak" anything.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
was that even originally written in english?

Cardsufferinglish............of which no translation is needed.....your always late to the party....must have got a hysterical .....blackberry message.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cardsufferinglish............of which no translation is needed.....your always late to the party....must have got a hysterical .....blackberry message.

lol. i no longer understand rats.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
CARDS STICKING WITH WARNER

Contrary to a Monday night report, the Cardinals will not be making a quarterback switch.

Yet.

Coach Dennis Green announced on Tuesday that Kurt Warner will get the start on Sunday in Atlanta. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that Warner would be benched, and that 2004 Heisman winner Matt Leinart would get the nod.

"Generally talking about the starting lineup is not something we do," coach Dennis Green said. "However, given the speculation that was out there we want to make it clear. We're disappointed after last week, but we still expect to be a playoff football team and we fully expect Kurt Warner to be the quarterback that leads us. That has not changed."

Some league insiders are skeptical about the ESPN.com headline proclaiming that the Cardinals "change mind" on the move. "It looks like the guru's guru got screwed over this week," said one league source. "Somebody gave him the wrong info and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was done on purpose."

But as of Monday afternoon it was anything but clear that Green would re-commit to Warner. So we think something was up, even if the purpose was merely to light a fire under Warner's butt before putting his butt on the bench.

Still, the incident has fanned the flames of resentment among league execs who are responsible for their mistakes, and members of the media who seemingly aren't. "These guys have no accountability and when they are wrong (and if you add it up, it may be more often than not) they just let it slide," said the source. "When I am wrong I can get fired because it can cost millions."

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

Contrary to a Monday night report, the Cardinals will not be making a quarterback switch.

Yet.

Coach Dennis Green announced on Tuesday that Kurt Warner will get the start on Sunday in Atlanta. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that Warner would be benched, and that 2004 Heisman winner Matt Leinart would get the nod.

"Generally talking about the starting lineup is not something we do," coach Dennis Green said. "However, given the speculation that was out there we want to make it clear. We're disappointed after last week, but we still expect to be a playoff football team and we fully expect Kurt Warner to be the quarterback that leads us. That has not changed."

Some league insiders are skeptical about the ESPN.com headline proclaiming that the Cardinals "change mind" on the move. "It looks like the guru's guru got screwed over this week," said one league source. "Somebody gave him the wrong info and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was done on purpose."

But as of Monday afternoon it was anything but clear that Green would re-commit to Warner. So we think something was up, even if the purpose was merely to light a fire under Warner's butt before putting his butt on the bench.

Still, the incident has fanned the flames of resentment among league execs who are responsible for their mistakes, and members of the media who seemingly aren't. "These guys have no accountability and when they are wrong (and if you add it up, it may be more often than not) they just let it slide," said the source. "When I am wrong I can get fired because it can cost millions."

Unfortunately there are some bad parts of the business. Whether or not the person doing the story is a good reporter or not, they are still heavily reliant on what other people (sources) say.

If a source is wrong, you just end up looking like an idiot and people trust you less (although with people's short attention span it can be forgotten shortly thereafter)

I don't think Mortenson made this up but he probably had a bad choice of a source for inside information

Just a general rule of thumb ... if sources aren't named it isn't completely trustworthy. "Inside sources" could be any range of people from the GM to the janitor so it should raise a red flag

Most papers have started guidelines strongly going against using annonymous sources because of how it takes away from credibility of the story

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This source needs to get a new job as a TV weatherman. You can be wrong all day every day with zero repurcussions.:D

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I think JeffGollin hit it on the mark when he said it was leaked on purpose. I'll take it a step further - I think it was to scare Leinart into being more responsible. The radio guys were talking this morning about how Matt has a casual attitude during the games - just watching, instead of listening to the plays being called thru the headset and taking notes.

Maybe Denny just wanted to have him panic a bit so he would prepare better for games (cause you never know when the back-up is gonna be called upon).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think JeffGollin hit it on the mark when he said it was leaked on purpose. I'll take it a step further - I think it was to scare Leinart into being more responsible. The radio guys were talking this morning about how Matt has a casual attitude during the games - just watching, instead of listening to the plays being called thru the headset and taking notes.

Maybe Denny just wanted to have him panic a bit so he would prepare better for games (cause you never know when the back-up is gonna be called upon).

Baloney.

There's no way in hell the Cards would pull off something that devious and clever.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
alright, heres a question for everyone that thinks leinart needs to sit for a year. what if kurt breaks his hand next week. should we bring in a vet qb to start the rest of the season and let leinart just sit??

and you cant use the excuse that warner gives us the best chance to win. 8 fumbles and 4 int does nothing to help us win.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Enough with the 8 fumbles crap they were not all TO's but you all keep bringing them up as though they were!

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
8 fumbles is still 8 fumbles. just because some fat lineman fell on it doesn't mean its not a fumble. something is fundamentally wrong if you fumble 8 times

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude something is fundamentally wrong he is beat up because we have a disaster Oline. YOu don't think given a solid oline and protection he would not be MUCH better? Honestly?

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
he doesnt tuck the damn ball away or throw it away when pressure comes. you cant keep making the same mistake over and over. sure a better line would give him more time but qb's get sacked. they need to protect the ball and kurt isnt doing this. how hard is this to see?

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
he's gotten sacked without fumbling but when you continuely are getting hammered fumbles are gonna happen. If we have guys coming free to the QB bad things are gonna come from it, our Oline should have been addressed but it wasn't so until they step up we may have issues.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dude something is fundamentally wrong he is beat up because we have a disaster Oline. YOu don't think given a solid oline and protection he would not be MUCH better? Honestly?

Well he was able to beat them in St Louis last year with pretty much the same line as this years. Maybe his skills have just diminished so that he is no longer effective? As someone else posted earlier people get old. Warner may just be over the hump.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
expect warner to start. also expect a quick hook. i personally believe warner suffer a mild concusion with that helment to helment hit. after that hit came all those bad plays by warner. something is up. warner should get the start and the other teammates should do their best to support warner. all this finger pointing in the locker room needs to stop also. time to start acting like a pro and not a little 1st grader. warner is the man for right now. so start supporting your qb.