ESPN: Sando Camp Report

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest

Highlights I found:

Ohio State's late graduation kept Wells from practicing with the Cardinals beyond the post-draft camp in early May. Wells' ankle injury Saturday during his first training camp practice will sideline him further. The more time Wells misses, the more likely Tim Hightower will emerge as the Week 1 starter.
"The only personal goal I've set for myself is to come in and be that guy, be the guy that -- I know we're a passing team -- that defenses will have to actually focus on the running game for the Arizona Cardinals," Wells said.

Everyone from general manager Rod Graves to coach Ken Whisenhunt to Davis points to rookie second-round choice Cody Brown and 2008 second-rounder Calais Campbell as potential surprise contributors.
The team's most disruptive pass-rusher, Darnell Dockett, wondered earlier this offseason how he would fit as Davis leaned more heavily on 3-4 alignments. Dockett, who projects as the prototypical 4-3 interior pass-rusher, apparently has nothing to worry about. Davis said he re-watched every snap Dockett played over the past two seasons while designing his defense to suit the 290-pound Pro Bowler's talents. Expect Dockett to line up in new places.

Former offensive coordinator Todd Haley thrived on challenging even the Cardinals' best players. His sideline shouting match with Anquan Boldin in the playoffs proved as much. The intensity Haley brought to the position isn't the sort of thing a staff naturally replicates.
Players responded to Haley, and now he is gone.
Whisenhunt is excited to take back play-calling duties on offense. The team shouldn't lose much, if anything, on that front. Whisenhunt might be just as good or better.

Boldin said nothing inflammatory upon reporting to camp, a departure from his tack last offseason. He has also been staying after practice longer than usual to sign autographs and reconnect with fans. Perhaps he realized the Cardinals' weren't going to suddenly cave to his demands. Teammate Adrian Wilson's ability to command a new deal after taking a low-keyed approach might also have resonated. ...

The thought of spending another season on the bench behind Kurt Warner hasn't dragged down Matt Leinart. To the contrary, Leinart seems to be in a better place this offseason. He rededicated himself to conditioning and reported at 227 pounds, as light as he can remember weighing since high school.
"Last year was so up and down, it was like a roller-coaster," Leinart said, recalling the battle he ultimately lost to Warner. "No one knew what was going to happen. It was a lot of pressure on me to perform. This year, I just feel more at ease. I'm more comfortable with the offense. I feel great. I feel like I can go in there and play. Now it's just a matter of time, when my opportunity comes, to make the most of it."...

As much as any superstar, Fitzgerald appears obsessed with improving and driven by fear of failure. The time he spent working with Jerry Rice armed Fitzgerald with new ideas, including drills to help Fitzgerald address what he considers to be his biggest weakness, coming out of his breaks.
"I picked his brain all week," Fitzgerald said. "Every night, we sat around and talked. The thing I was so impressed with about him, even at 46 years old, his mentality, he did every single drill we did. He didn't miss a rep or anything. ... I couldn't imagine when he was 25 or 26, what he was thinking. If I can have his same mentality at 25 that he has at 46, I'll do well."

More broadly, McFadden hopes the Cardinals can establish the mentality that has helped make Pittsburgh so tough on defense over the years. He points to players holding one another accountable as the key. Arizona made progress in that area during its playoff run.

Davis, the defensive coordinator, retained much of the terminology from last season in an effort to smooth the transition. "And then I cleaned some of the extra verbiage out and I added some calls -- really some blitzes -- that I've had in my past so we can pressure some more and in more different ways," Davis said.

The rapport Warner has developed with fourth receiver Jerheme Urban will make it tough for 2008 third-round choice Early Doucet to crack the rotation. Fitzgerald, Boldin and Steve Breaston are set as the top three.

Second-year cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie continues to show the ability to contest balls that Fitzgerald would catch against most other defensive backs.

Whisenhunt appears unconcerned by the instability at tight end. He'll feel a lot better during the regular season if Stephen Spach continues his impressive rehab from knee surgery. Spach is a willing blocker and reliable player. The same cannot be said for 2006 third-round choice Leonard Pope, who jogged out a route and made a halfhearted effort to catch the ball during a drill on the first day of camp.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Urban better keep this up in the regular season, I really want to see Doucet get some playing time. We are utterly log jammed at WR, but I'm not complaining about this "problem" :D

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I am watching the Eagles drive. Pope caught a pass (barely) that put us a yard short of the first down. He has always been a jughead.

Cutting him instead of Hood would have made me happier I think.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
so you guys want to cut our probable starting TE based on a line from a reporters blog,an espn reporter at that, who happens to be passing throuh Cards camp one day?????:sad:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
so you guys want to cut our probable starting TE based on a line from a reporters blog,an espn reporter at that, who happens to be passing throuh Cards camp one day?????:sad:
Sando is a good writer and very fair, he should not be lumped in with all the other hack jobs at ESPN. He has spent a lot of time viewing the Cards and the rest of the NFCW

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing about Pope is that he doesn't appear to "get it". Too many offsides, not a great blocker, he's not fast and doesn't seem to be hard to bring down after the catch considering how big he is. He flat out comes up a bit short in every phase of a tight ends job other than perhaps catching the ball.

To me Spach is a Whiz kind of guy. Isn't great at any one thing but solid in all aspects of the position.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I hate to break this to you but he is liely #4 on the depth chart at this point. Maybe even #5 with the way Byrd has been playing.

My best guess for TE rotation come game 1

#1 Spach (proving he is healthy)
#2 Patrick (long term answer)
#3 Byrd (making plays gets you noticed)

Cut Becht and Pope.

And Pope is first one gone....

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to break this to you but he is liely #4 on the depth chart at this point. Maybe even #5 with the way Byrd has been playing.

Cut Becht and Pope.

And just who will replace his 7 catches last year??? :D

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Cut Becht and Pope.

no he's not.If i remember right(maybe i'm thinking of Branch), didn't he just get a million dollar roster bonus,or something like that? If he wasn't in the Cards plans he would have been cut already. I think the TE depth chart will be:

Pope
Becht
Byrd
Spach-PUP
Patrick-suspended

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember a play in the Philly game, I think, where Warner faked a screen left and then threw to Pope on the right. The only people Pope outran were his own blockers...:D

Reaction score

Not game 1...

Patrick - 4 game suspension.

Pope, Becht, Byrd, Spach (in no particular order) - if all are healthy, one will be cut during training camp; another will be cut prior to Patrick's return for game 5.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Nope, he is still running with the 1's. Becht running with the 2's. Dont know where Patrick is on this list that Somers made?

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/59371

I also wouldnt worry to much about where the rookies are on that unofficail depth chart Somers made, under Wiz 95% of the rookies start at the bottom and dont move up until after preseason game 1 at the least. He makes them work for it, thats for sure and I like it.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Nothing really new in his report if you ask me. The only thing I found interesting is the DC-Davis comments about NINE-0. What could he be talking about. We saw Docket stand up and blitz like a linebacker a few times last year, mostly over the center, will we see way more of Dockett standing up this year? Cant think of anything else he could be talking about.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, he is still running with the 1's. Becht running with the 2's. Dont know where Patrick is on this list that Somers made?

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/59371

I also wouldnt worry to much about where the rookies are on that unofficail depth chart Somers made, under Wiz 95% of the rookies start at the bottom and dont move up until after preseason game 1 at the least. He makes them work for it, thats for sure and I like it.

Patrick was still running with the #1's at times in camp. Just FYI.

Reaction score
Nothing really new in his report if you ask me. The only thing I found interesting is the DC-Davis comments about NINE-0. What could he be talking about. We saw Docket stand up and blitz like a linebacker a few times last year, mostly over the center, will we see way more of Dockett standing up this year? Cant think of anything else he could be talking about.
Happy to hear the comment about utilizing Double D in inovative ways. Dockett has just crazy quickness at the snap of the football. I think that most times he anticipates the snap because he is just so quick, as a result he can disrupt offensive timing.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Happy to hear the comment about utilizing Double D in inovative ways. Dockett has just crazy quickness at the snap of the football. I think that most times he anticipates the snap because he is just so quick, as a result he can disrupt offensive timing.

Here is another aspect of using him different ways. Dockett seems to sometimes disappear. Maybe he gets bored or something, and Davis knows that moving Dockett around will make a more interested Dockett which means a more motivated Dockett on 100% of the snaps instead of 75% of the snaps. Dockett seems to do better on large stages and when he is having more fun, maybe moving him around will do that more often.?????

Should be interesting, although we wont see any of it in preseason, so it will be along wait to actually see what he is talking about.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Here is another aspect of using him different ways. Dockett seems to sometimes disappear. Maybe he gets bored or something, and Davis knows that moving Dockett around will make a more interested Dockett which means a more motivated Dockett on 100% of the snaps instead of 75% of the snaps. Dockett seems to do better on large stages and when he is having more fun, maybe moving him around will do that more often.?????

Should be interesting, although we wont see any of it in preseason, so it will be along wait to actually see what he is talking about.

Could be interesting and may pay some dividends in the form of a more engaged DD... however, moving him around and placing him in different positons can also leave gaps, holes and opportunities for the offense to exploit the vacancy...

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving Dockett around? He is to small for a 3-4 DT and he plays DE in this alignment correct?

Not much place to move him unless we are in a 4-3 allignment. Last time we tried him at DE in that set up he sucked.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving Dockett around? He is to small for a 3-4 DT and he plays DE in this alignment correct?

Not much place to move him unless we are in a 4-3 allignment. Last time we tried him at DE in that set up he sucked.
Stand him up as the rush OLB?