Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worse than last year:

New coach installing a new system.

D Wash out for 4 games.

Still don't have that Dominate OLB that consistantly will pressure the QB.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Comparable. Should be improved against the run. Better offense and special teams units should remove some of the pressure. Slightly easier schedule. Safety position is a concern which may be addressed in the draft and of course, Woodson is still out there.

How are they going to be improved against the run? Just that they'll put more emphasis on stopping the run as opposed to what Horton did maybe?

Is Brinkley that much better vs the run than Lenon was? Because other than that the front 7 stays the same with the possibility that one of the OLBs gets moved out by a draft pick. ProFootballFocus seems to think so but I just don't know enough about him to judge his overall impact.

As for the secondary I don't see how Johnson, Bell, Peterson and Cason/Powers are any better in run support than the 4 guys they replaced.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Here's the thing on Bowles: What should I look at to see what his system is/how he'd run a unit?

Do you think could rely on the structure of the Philly Eagles in late 2012? That's not really his defense, is it? Juan Castillo had been installing his defense for two years. Is it reasonable to expect that Bowles came in at the bye week and re-did all the play calls?

Can I reliably look at the 2010 Miami Dolphins, where he wasn't a defensive coordinator but a secondary coach? Mike Nolan designed and called that defense?

If anyone has any Grambling or Morehouse State film from the late 90s, that's the only film that anyone can look at and reliably say "That's his defense."

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's the thing on Bowles: What should I look at to see what his system is/how he'd run a unit?

Do you think could rely on the structure of the Philly Eagles in late 2012? That's not really his defense, is it? Juan Castillo had been installing his defense for two years. Is it reasonable to expect that Bowles came in at the bye week and re-did all the play calls?

Can I reliably look at the 2010 Miami Dolphins, where he wasn't a defensive coordinator but a secondary coach? Mike Nolan designed and called that defense?

If anyone has any Grambling or Morehouse State film from the late 90s, that's the only film that anyone can look at and reliably say "That's his defense."

Agreed. All we can gather is that he prefers the one gap 3-4 system. In the end, he is no more or less qualified then Horton when he arrived.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agreed. All we can gather is that he prefers the one gap 3-4 system. In the end, he is no more or less qualified then Horton when he arrived.

I don't know about that. In some ways he's more qualified--he's been an assistant head coach and an interim head coach. In other ways, you have to wonder why this guy has been around the league for so long and never been given a coordinator position.

Dave McGinnis has been an assistant HC since he left here, never a coordinator. Mike Singletary remains an assistant HC and still isn't a coordinator, even under a defensive-minded head coach.

If you believe that the NFL recognized good coaches, you have to wonder why no one has given this guy a chance to coordinate an offense in 15 years.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
How are they going to be improved against the run? Just that they'll put more emphasis on stopping the run as opposed to what Horton did maybe?

Is Brinkley that much better vs the run than Lenon was? Because other than that the front 7 stays the same with the possibility that one of the OLBs gets moved out by a draft pick. ProFootballFocus seems to think so but I just don't know enough about him to judge his overall impact.

As for the secondary I don't see how Johnson, Bell, Peterson and Cason/Powers are any better in run support than the 4 guys they replaced.

Better depth with two starters on other teams in Rucker & Shaughnessy. Alexander to compete for a starter job. Another year of experience and upgraded position coaching for Bethel, Fleming, Johnson, Campbell. Unleashing Darnell Dockett to penetrate upfield and disrupt running plays in the backfield. Brinkley is an upgrade over the 2012 Lenon.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Better depth with two starters on other teams in Rucker & Shaughnessy. Alexander to compete for a starter job. Another year of experience and upgraded position coaching for Bethel, Fleming, Johnson, Campbell. Unleashing Darnell Dockett to penetrate upfield and disrupt running plays in the backfield. Brinkley is an upgrade over the 2012 Lenon.

Could be but Rucker and Shaughnessey likely won't play enough to make much difference. Alexander is a mystery man to me. If he was any good as a LB why didn't he start in Washington over Rob Jackson when Orakpo went out? Jackson had done basically nothing in 4 previous seasons with Washington.

I could see how changing the scheme with Dockett could make a difference. Bethel, Fleming, won't play enough to make any difference even with better coaching.

Brinkley is probably an upgrade over Lenon but I don't think the talent vs the run is any better overall and may be worse but a change in scheme from Horton's sacrificing rushing yards to stifle passing attacks could help.

On the other hand is it a good idea in a passing league to weaken your pass defense to reduce rushing yards? Especially when the D had games where they allowed over 100 yards rushing and opponents offenses only scored only 1 or 2 TDs.

Buffalo, Minnesota, NYJets, Chicago, St.LouisII over 150. Over 100 Seattle, Philly St.Louis I.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think our D will be better actually but not because of Bowles. I think Palmer and crew are going to keep the chains moving and increase TOP, which will allow the D not only to be fresh but allow them to make some adjustments. Last year (and the year before) the D was on the field so long they couldn't even make in-game adjustments or get timely feedback from players.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
I think our D will be better actually but not because of Bowles. I think Palmer and crew are going to keep the chains moving and increase TOP, which will allow the D not only to be fresh but allow them to make some adjustments. Last year (and the year before) the D was on the field so long they couldn't even make in-game adjustments or get timely feedback from players.

I am also hoping to see this same effect - the offense scoring more and taking up more of the clock. Granted, we lost a few players, but we also gained some new ones so I personally think the off-season was a wash as far as talent level goes on the D, and I think we had a pretty talented D last year. Unless Bowles' system is a failure, I think the D will be solid.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

To show how stats can be misleading the Cards TOP differential was 2 minutes per game. Guess who had an even worse difference? The Baltimore Ravens! On the other end the Lions were 3rd best in the NFL and were 4-12.

But we all know how often the Cards O went 3 and out.