FIBA Americas Tournament

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was surprised Leandro was healthy enough to play at all after his surgery. His big problem was only 3 of 12 for three due in part to not getting the open looks he gets when Nash is the PG.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So did the US qualify for the Olympics yet?

If they win this tournament, they qualify. If they would have received a Gold or Silver in 2004, they also would have qualified.

Stupid bronze.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Why isn't Ginobili on the Argentina roster? I saw Horacio LLamas on the Mexican roster. He went to my alma mater and played for the Suns.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The top two teams from this tournament qualify for the Olympics - I think that means the final two after they start the single elimination phase, as opposed to the best overall W/L percentages from the whole tourney.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why isn't Ginobili on the Argentina roster?

A lot of guys have pulled out of international play to focus on their off season preparation.

The one I cannot understand is why Marks is not on the New Zealand team. It's like he's worn out from playing or anything like that.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A lot of guys have pulled out of international play to focus on their off season preparation.

The one I cannot understand is why Marks is not on the New Zealand team. It's like he's worn out from playing or anything like that.

he probably wasn't good enough to make it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he probably wasn't good enough to make it.

Marks is a very good international player. I'm sort of surprised he isn't overseas collecting an over-inflated pay check and starting every game.

fordronken

Reaction score
By the way, Amare is shooting 10/11 in the tournament so far. He's also kept his fouls and turnovers down to almost nothing, which is great. His rebounding could be better, though.

From the bits I've watched (I admit, I have only watched about half of each game), it's pretty clear the team is very perimeter oriented. In fact, TrueHoop pointed out that USA had one post up, as a team, against the Virgin Islands. Wow.

Amare's not getting a lot of shots, but when he does, he makes them.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
By the way, Amare is shooting 10/11 in the tournament so far. He's also kept his fouls and turnovers down to almost nothing, which is great. His rebounding could be better, though.

From the bits I've watched (I admit, I have only watched about half of each game), it's pretty clear the team is very perimeter oriented. In fact, TrueHoop pointed out that USA had one post up, as a team, against the Virgin Islands. Wow.

Amare's not getting a lot of shots, but when he does, he makes them.

See. Everybody who thought Kobe wouldn't pass Amare the ball predicted this. :lol:

Seriously, these teams are so overmatched it is hard to get the USA team to focus on what they are doing. My guess is that they are trying to send a message - forget about using the zone against this team.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why isn't Ginobili on the Argentina roster? I saw Horacio LLamas on the Mexican roster. He went to my alma mater and played for the Suns.

There's no need for Ginobli or the other Argentines in the NBA to play in this tournament, since they already qualified for the Olympics. Also, the two finalists receive a bid, and I think everybody else gets a chance to qualify in another tournament.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
ginobili oberto and nocioni are all sitting out. Thats a pretty big trio to lose out on. They will most likely be there for the olympics though

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
don't think argentina has the auto bid

i think the only two who auto-made it where china as the host and spain as the world champs

the top 2 in this tourney make it and the 3-5 can enter qualifying

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

The international game is very perimeter oriented. With a wider lane and zone defenses it makes it harder to score inside.

Most teams have tried to take away the inside play and take their chances with the outside shooting which is why I think the team is built the way it is.

We saw in 2004 that despite having Duncan in the post the advantage there was negated fairly easily.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't think argentina has the auto bid

i think the only two who auto-made it where china as the host and spain as the world champs

the top 2 in this tourney make it and the 3-5 can enter qualifying

Whomever wins the Gold or Silver medal in the previous Olympic games gets an automatic bid.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05