2010 FIBA World Championship Thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to guarantee such a thing. Are you trying to tell me that you aren't directly responsible for how history will judge Durant's career?

If I am, I'd better get to work. I do know that I'm personally responsible for what little success Gordon Lightfoot had in the 70's. I use to go into record shops and pull all his albums and place one in the front of every tray. I'm not sure how to create a grass roots marketing campaign for Durant but I'll give it some thought. BTW, I probably deserve a little teasing for the unnecessary disclaimer but it never hurts to cover your butt around here.:)

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Turkoglu is shooting 23% FG and 20% 3pters through 3 games. Makes you feel comfy about our soon starting power forward.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I do know that I'm personally responsible for what little success Gordon Lightfoot had in the 70's. I use to go into record shops and pull all his albums and place one in the front of every tray.

It would be a black day in July before I'd pull a stunt like that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be a black day in July before I'd pull a stunt like that.

And you read your morning paper
And you sip your cup of tea
And you wonder just in passing
Is it him or is it me?

Go USA (didn't want to be too off topic).

Steve

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying Splitter is a future all-star but that is not what would normally be expected from a late first rounder who will earn less than 4M.

Most teams are not willing to let a first rounder play for years in Europe before bringing him over. It was obvious Splitter would be good, but too many teams remember Fran Vazquez being taken in 2005 with the 11th pick. It's a gamble.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes and more recently Rubio. There will be more like them since top "Euro" talents who have been pros for several years don't necessarily want or need to sign a slave contract for 3-4 years. They can come to the NBA later so it's not like they are scared of the competition. As long as the rookie scale remains as it is it will be a gamble picking international players.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yes and more recently Rubio. There will be more like them since top "Euro" talents who have been pros for several years don't necessarily want or need to sign a slave contract for 3-4 years. They can come to the NBA later so it's not like they are scared of the competition.

And remind me how many Euros in that category have actually panned out in the NBA?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ginobili, Scola, Nocioni to name a few.

Really Scola is the only one, and he was the one I was thinking of when I asked the question. Ginobili came to the NBA at age 25, which is still quite young. Nocioni had a few decent years but was never an impact player.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
So? Ginobili was a star already in europe and played 4 years in Italy and won the "euroleague" before coming to the NBA.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Ok so elindholm believes no euro top talents have panned out in the nba? I'm sorry that is just too stupid.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Or he only meant euro talents who stay in europe, but not until they are 25 like Ginobili or even longer like a whole bunch of players? Maybe he meant only Argentinians named Scola belong to the category? Then he is in fact right, only Scola belong to the Scola category :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Or he only meant euro talents who stay in europe, but not until they are 25 like Ginobili or even longer like a whole bunch of players?

No, I meant that Euros who stay in Europe long enough to become mature, established stars, then try to transfer that stardom to the NBA, which is the category that Splitter will allegedly find himself in. (Splitter is also only 25, but he's been "a name" longer than Ginobili had been.)

The claim was, Euro stars are staying in Europe more time in order to avoid being hemmed in to an NBA rookie scale, but they can come over to the NBA and dominate whenever they want. I said that there is no example of an established Euro player coming over to the NBA mid-career and having an impact, except arguably Scola.

Try following the conversation next time and you won't be so easily confused.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
slinslin already gave you another perfect example. From Wiki:

"Ginóbili spent the early part of his basketball career in Argentina and Italy, where he won several individual and team honors. His stint with Italian side Kinder Bologna was particularly productive, earning two Lega A Most Valuable Player awards, the Euroleague Final Four MVP and the 2001 Euroleague and Triple Crown championships. The shooting guard was selected as the 57th overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft and is considered one of the biggest draft steals of all time. Ginóbili returned to Italy and only joined the Spurs in 2002. He did not take long to establish himself as a key player for the Spurs, and has since earned three NBA championship rings as well as being named an All-Star in 2005."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Ginóbili spent the early part of his basketball career in Argentina and Italy, where he won several individual and team honors. His stint with Italian side Kinder Bologna was particularly productive, earning two Lega A Most Valuable Player awards, the Euroleague Final Four MVP and the 2001 Euroleague and Triple Crown championships. The shooting guard was selected as the 57th overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft and is considered one of the biggest draft steals of all time. Ginóbili returned to Italy and only joined the Spurs in 2002. He did not take long to establish himself as a key player for the Spurs, and has since earned three NBA championship rings as well as being named an All-Star in 2005."

Sorry, never heard of the guy.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
slinslin already gave you another perfect example.

He's not a perfect example at all. Ginobili came to the NBA only two years after joining Kinder Bologna. (Did you miss that part of the Wikipedia article?) Yes, he was already a good player, and he has been a star (or near-star) in the NBA. I'd never say that Ginobili hasn't had an excellent NBA career; he has. But he hadn't already spent a good chunk of his career in Europe. I don't understand why you're unable to grasp this distinction. The only theory I have left is that you're willfully stupid.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I think the trend is going more toward staying in Europe because the money there is so good.

In the days of the old Soviet Untion, top players couldn't move. Sarunas Marciulionis of Lithuania was the 127th pick of 1987, but joined the Warriors in 1989. He was 25 when he joined GS after leading Russia over the USA in 1988. Before he was injured in the 1992-93 season, he was a terffic player.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
elindholm, problem is you are wrong but will not admit it. My original statement was that some top euro talents will stay in europe because of the rookie scale and that it is a rational, professional decision. You have narrowed down that category to players who later will dominate in the nba and leave after more than 3 years. Still there are some players like that but you chose to ignore them. Now you have no arguments left so you start with the name calling and personal attacks LOL You have no clue and I think most people here have found that out a long time ago. We have bad posters like you at Spurstalk too. Have fun with this guy :)

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm, problem is you are wrong but will not admit it. My original statement was that some top euro talents will stay in europe because of the rookie scale and that it is a rational, professional decision. You have narrowed down that category to players who later will dominate in the nba and leave after more than 3 years. Still there are some players like that but you chose to ignore them. Now you have no arguments left so you start with the name calling and personal attacks LOL You have no clue and I think most people here have found that out a long time ago. We have bad posters like you at Spurstalk too. Have fun with this guy :)

Now, HERE'S the true Spur fan coming through. Expected nothing less.

You haven't given any examples except Ginobili, of which Eric has replied to. You mention Rubio, which is hilarious since he's never played a single minute in the NBA. Ironic that Eric actually conceded Splitter, yet you STILL personally attack him with no ammunition whatsoever.

Here's his original post replying to your first attack:

No, I meant that Euros who stay in Europe long enough to become mature, established stars, then try to transfer that stardom to the NBA, which is the category that Splitter will allegedly find himself in. (Splitter is also only 25, but he's been "a name" longer than Ginobili had been.)

The claim was, Euro stars are staying in Europe more time in order to avoid being hemmed in to an NBA rookie scale, but they can come over to the NBA and dominate whenever they want. I said that there is no example of an established Euro player coming over to the NBA mid-career and having an impact, except arguably Scola.

Try following the conversation next time and you won't be so easily confused.

And you still can't refute it.

On their BEST day, nobody at that cesspool called Spurstalk can hold a candle to Eric or frankly 75% of the posters on this site.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Just LOL if you Suns fans can read and have a brain I think you know who is right and who is wrong. Just LOL.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Irish, slinslin and steve actually have a clue, elindholm is plain stupid or just doesn't watch basketball.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Back to topic, do you guys realize how good Diamantidis is? Or Garbajosa? That game Spain-Greece was gooood.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Back to topic, do you guys realize how good Diamantidis is? Or Garbajosa? That game Spain-Greece was gooood.

by the way - Garbajosa was one of those guys who came to play in NBA. didn't really impact much in Toronto. I'm sure Diamantidis wouldn't either. it was also his last game for national team.