FIBA Americas Tournament

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
I agree they looked fairly good, but they haven't been tested. This is, after all, a tournament that would have featured a roster of college players had Team USA already qualified. The real test will come when the European teams participate.
I can't wait to see how the team USA will react in close games. Will they develop some team chemistry? Will they still try to find the open man or will they try to go one on one?

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
they will try to go one on one if the other team uses one on one defense..

Sorry for not using the proper words. I meant "try to win the game all by themself instead of playing as a team".

scotsman13

Reaction score
if a US game will go down the wire,
everyone knows that kobe has to take the last shot..

are you kidding kobe would steal the ball from any of his teammates to insure he got the last shot. hell kobe could have all 5 player on the other team guarding him and still think he could do it all by himself.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
good news SA spers fans, Splitter is the dirtiest player in this tournament. (since ginobilli didnt play)

Could you explain why? I hold even more my opinion that the Suns made a huge mistake by not select Splitter with the #24 pick.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Without Manu and Oberto on the Argentina team, there was no way anybody was going to beat the USA team this year. Brazil has a couple of very good players, but most of their guys simply lack the talent to compete with USA.

Alll this year's team is doing is learning to play as a team and get used to FIBA and the way games are called. But next year, they will face a vastly more difficult challenge against teams with enough talent that their experience with FIBA will really matter. Of course, they've not played against Kobe yet.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Could you explain why? I hold even more my opinion that the Suns made a huge mistake by not select Splitter with the #24 pick.

I would have loved them to take Splitter (or Rudy Fernandez), but because teams are required to offer slot salary to first-round picks, there was no guarantee before the draft that either player would ever come over to the U.S.

Teams like Portland and S.A. can afford to take that risk, hoping to convince the player to come over (or possibly getting him at the tail end of his career, as Portland did with Sabonis), but it's become obvious the Suns won't be making any such moves as long as Robert Sarver owns the team.

SASpursfan

Veteran
Reaction score
good news SA spers fans, Splitter is the dirtiest player in this tournament. (since ginobilli didnt play)
I particulary enjoyed the block Splitter had on Amare. Unfortunately, the refs called the clean block a foul.

BTW, what did u see to call Splitter dirty?

SASpursfan

Veteran
Reaction score
I felt bad for Barbs. US made a conscious effort to deny him the ball and he had a hard time. But that was understandable. He should take that as a sign of respect. As for his tournament overall, he was the leading scorer before the last game, but he doesn't look as good as in a Suns uni. Obviously he gets a lot more help in Phoenix, and a lot less responsibility.
LB has no ball-handling skills at all, coaches know this, and thats why team USA pressured him every time he had the ball exposing his weakness.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you kidding kobe would steal the ball from any of his teammates to insure he got the last shot. hell kobe could have all 5 player on the other team guarding him and still think he could do it all by himself.

:rolleyes:

fordronken

Reaction score
It's funny how dominant a defensive player Kobe Bryant can be when he feels like it.

It's not a question of feeling like it. It's about exertion of energy. When he's on a team where he doesn't have to do every single thing on offense, he has some energy left to give on defense. He was a great defender back in their championship runs, and he's a great defender on team USA.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Energy and foul avoidance is always an issue with great offensive players. In the case of Kobe playing the Suns, it's not like there is just one guy to stop and the Lakers have no chance if he's in foul trouble.

None the less, he's lost weight and I'm sure that has helped.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
i think the starting line-up is:

C - howard
PF - LBJ
SF - carmelo
SG - kobe
PG - kidd

i think they always use that same line-up every game

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i think the starting line-up is:

C - howard
PF - LBJ
SF - carmelo
SG - kobe
PG - kidd

i think they always use that same line-up every game

Amare was in the lineup during the decisive second quarter. Other than some stupid fouls, he looked pretty good.

SASpursfan

Veteran
Reaction score
Troll? Isnt that a true statement? Are you watching the Brazil-Puerto Rico game? I watched about 8 possessions in the 3rd quarter where LB had the ball and the guy shot every time he touched the ball except on one position. This guy is selfish player.
EDIT: thats now 9 possessions.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Troll? Isnt that a true statement? Are you watching the Brazil-Puerto Rico game? I watched about 8 possessions in the 3rd quarter where LB had the ball and the guy shot every time he touched the ball except on one position. This guy is selfish player.
EDIT: thats now 9 possessions.

Yes, Kobe shut him down (with plenty of help); but your statement was that Barbosa hs no moves which is simply wrong. If you watched the Canada game, he played extremely well.

After watching Leandro's progress over his NBA career to have him slamed by an ignorant Spurs fan based on one game - I see no reason to retract my "troll" charge.

SASpursfan

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, Kobe shut him down (with plenty of help); but your statement was that Barbosa hs no moves which is simply wrong. If you watched the Canada game, he played extremely well.

After watching Leandro's progress over his NBA career to have him slamed by an ignorant Spurs fan based on one game - I see no reason to retract my "troll" charge.
I guess if u consider speed a skill. Othere than the ability to hit a 3 pointer (provided hes not playing the spurs) he has no skills.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05