finley update

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Latest reports (from Detroit) say that Finley has narrowed his choices down to Miami and Detroit. Are the Suns out of the running already?

Michael Finley: Will Choose Between Miami and Detroit

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Sunday, August 21, 2005
Update: Finley will choose between signing with Miami or Detroit, the Detroit Free Press reports.

Recommendation: Earlier reports said it was almost certain he'd sign with the Heat, but several league officials said the Pistons are still in the thick of it.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Michigan live mentioned that a few days ago.

Those reports are only coming out of Detroit, no other city has mentioned anything about it.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who are these "league officials"? Are they related to the famed "unnamed sources" that populate Washington?

Are the Suns out of the running? If money was ever an issue, then the Suns were never in it. Both the Pistons and the Heat can offer more money for more time.

All the Suns could offer is that he starts on the Suns and doesn't on the other two teams to go with an up tempo game and a chance to play with real point guard. But money is money and those are two serious title contenders.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
WE are not out of the running until Finley signes with another team. IT is really about what Michael Finley wants. If it is money he could go to the Hawks. He is a winner and can be a bigger part of bring a team a championship then he could in Miami or Detroit. Plus he will get a 51 million payout from Cuban. So money really isnt an issue. He likes Phoenix andhis best friend was MVP. Nash is working on him just as he did Brian Grant.
I understand why Hunter left. Finley already has had the big payday. So I thinnk we got a good shot at getting him

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
I found this on a Pistons forum ... but don't get too excited. His agent said it could take a week or two for Finley to decide.

Rob Parker's "moles" told him that Finley is going to Phoenix.

I googled Parker and he is a Detroit reporter, someone else said he does not have the most reliable moles.

djohnson

Rookie
Reaction score
Finley likely to pick Heat

Sprewell, Davis next on Pistons' shopping list
August 22, 2005

BY KRISTA LATHAM
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Michael Finley's decision should come today, and insiders expect it will be Miami, not Detroit.

The shooting guard is the hottest commodity left on the NBA free agent market and Detroit's No. 1 target since Dallas waived him last week under the new amnesty clause. And though the veteran has shown some interest in joining the Pistons as a backup for Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton, a league source said it looks like Finley wants to join Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in sunny south Florida.

Both teams have a full, $5-million mid-level salary-cap exception to offer as well as good chances to win an NBA title. Miami lost to the Pistons in the Eastern Conference finals last year. Minnesota, San Antonio, Phoenix and Denver also wish to snag Finley.

But Finley's feelings are still somewhat a guessing game. He hasn't spoken publicly since the Mavericks waived him Aug. 15 to save nearly $60 million in luxury taxes, and his agent hasn't returned phone calls seeking comment.

The NBA free agent market slowed to a trickle last week as other players and teams waited for Finley to make a decision.

Once he signs, the race will begin for teams to sign the remaining free agents. That list includes Indiana big man Dale Davis and Minnesota small forward Latrell Sprewell, both of whom the Pistons have spoken with.

Davis' agent Chubby Wells said Davis will wait for Finley's move before deciding between Detroit and Cleveland. The Cavaliers intensified their interest in the veteran over the weekend, and the Pistons also have an offer on the table should Finley choose another team.

"Detroit's the front-runner," Wells said. "Everything is stuck right now as we wait for Michael Finley."

Indiana doesn't have the money to compete with the offers from either team, Wells said.

Should Davis end up in Detroit, the Pistons will still have a portion of the $5-million exception to spend. The team's primary off-season focus was to sign a backup small forward or shooting guard, and Davis, a power forward, doesn't fill that bill.

That's where Sprewell enters the picture. Although he is 35, Sprewell is still a solid defender and scorer and could help solidify the bench.

And though Detroit appears to be Sprewell's No. 1 choice, it's unclear whether the Pistons return the affection. One league source said the interest comes from new coach Flip Saunders, who coached Sprewell at Minnesota, not from the front office.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few days ago one of these articles quoted one of these "league officials", who just used the same reasoning the rest of us have used to explain why he thought Michael Finley was leaning towards Miami. In other words you really didn't have any inside information. He was just supposing that Michael Finley wanted to go to Miami because of the Florida weather and the money.

I agree that the Phoenix Suns on account of the running until Michael Finley comes out and says they are, or he signs with another team.

If he has to go somewhere else I'm hoping it's with Detroit. I don't see them making it to the finals again with or without Michael Finley.

Joe Mama

scotsman13

Reaction score
i think that finley will sign with the suns. there are a couple reason for that. first if he goes to miami he will be in a lockerroom with walker and jason williams, 2 class "A" cancers. he has played with walker. and from what i heard he was almost uniformly disliked in the dallas lockerroom because he didnt think he should change the way that he played. second, he wont start at his position (shooting guard) heck he may not start at small forward. for the pistons he goes to the bench and i think the chances that the pistons even make it to the ECF are not that promising. with brown gone they will be moving back to just another playoff team.

again i think we will hear that finley will sign with the suns.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
i think that finley will sign with the suns. there are a couple reason for that. first if he goes to miami he will be in a lockerroom with walker and jason williams, 2 class "A" cancers. he has played with walker. and from what i heard he was almost uniformly disliked in the dallas lockerroom because he didnt think he should change the way that he played. second, he wont start at his position (shooting guard) heck he may not start at small forward. for the pistons he goes to the bench and i think the chances that the pistons even make it to the ECF are not that promising. with brown gone they will be moving back to just another playoff team.

again i think we will hear that finley will sign with the suns.

No offense scotsman but you (and the rest of the board) have no idea what you are talking about....You are trying to rationalize something that you want to take place and make it seem like it is an inevitable prospect. Sure there are some pros that Phoenix has that others dont, but read the writing on the wall. Finley to Phx. isn't likely to happen (unless my email changed his thought process:) )

Dont get your expectations up and please dont speak like you have some kind of base knowledge about Finley's descision making process because others reading might think you know something they dont.and you dont. In fact as unreliable as these writers could turn out to be, you have to concede that wherver they maybe getting their info, its a unamed "source" neither you and I have. Now if Folster with his roomate connection has something to say, I am all ears......

scotsman13

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
No offense scotsman but you (and the rest of the board) have no idea what you are talking about....You are trying to rationalize something that you want to take place and make it seem like it is an inevitable prospect. Sure there are some pros that Phoenix has that others dont, but read the writing on the wall. Finley to Phx. isn't likely to happen (unless my email changed his thought process:) )

Dont get your expectations up and please dont speak like you have some kind of base knowledge about Finley's descision making process because others reading might think you know something they dont.and you dont. In fact as unreliable as these writers could turn out to be, you have to concede that wherver they maybe getting their info, its a unamed "source" neither you and I have. Now if Folster with his roomate connection has something to say, I am all ears......

that is why i stated that "i think" not i know or i have sources that tell me, but i think he will sign with the suns.

as far as rationalize it goes i gave my reasons why i think that he will sign with the suns over the heat or the pistons. all of the reporting at this point comes down to a bunch of reporters doing the samething i am doing. every last one of them is counting out the suns, spurs, nugs because we are in the west and report that cuban will pay the money that is owed to finley faster if he signs for a team in the east. every reporter out there is looking for lines of connection between finley and other teams (i.e. heats coach being finley's college coach). in the end well know soon enough.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Please, lose the ego, will you? My God, is there really a need to talk down to scotsman like that? If he believes Finley will come here, then he's entitled--who are you to insult him like that?

Hey kettle...you're black...

Mike

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Please, lose the ego, will you? My God, is there really a need to talk down to scotsman like that? If he believes Finley will come here, then he's entitled--who are you to insult him like that?

No ego chaplin and the condescending talk (if that is the case) was unitended. When i read these message boards, i take it that most of you have done research on the subject and have something to add that I do not already know. What doesn't interest me is opinion based on what you think is going through a players mind (as you chaplin were also guilty of a couple weeks back when you insinuated that you knew JJ's playing preferences in Atlanta) and then making comments speaking as if it is a no-brainer.

I realize people come to the message board to spread their opinion on subjects but i take quite a bit of what is said literally in the hope that you have gleaned inforamtion I have not from half way across the country. I guess i wish their was more accountability for what people said and I would'nt have to rifle through and determine what is based on evidence from actual people in the know and what is the opinion that someone has convinced them self of because it suits their purposes (in this case Fins coming back). Trust me I want this guy on our team more than anyone (and this is why i check the board frequently for updates) but i consider myself a realist and the evidence from everyone who is credible has shown to be otherwise. I hope im wrong and you are right scotsman because i will eat that crow with a smile until the sun comes up. But i apologize if that previous post came out harsher than i intended.

As for you chap, thanks for being the peoples champion:thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
No ego chaplin and the condescending talk (if that is the case) was unitended. When i read these message boards, i take it that most of you have done research on the subject and have something to add that I do not already know. What doesn't interest me is opinion based on what you think is going through a players mind (as you chaplin were also guilty of a couple weeks back when you insinuated that you knew JJ's playing preferences in Atlanta) and then making comments speaking as if it is a no-brainer.

I realize people come to the message board to spread their opinion on subjects but i take quite a bit of what is said literally in the hope that you have gleaned inforamtion I have not from half way across the country. I guess i wish their was more accountability for what people said and I would'nt have to rifle through and determine what is based on evidence from actual people in the know and what is the opinion that someone has convinced them self of because it suits their purposes (in this case Fins coming back). Trust me I want this guy on our team more than anyone (and this is why i check the board frequently for updates) but i consider myself a realist and the evidence from everyone who is credible has shown to be otherwise. I hope im wrong and you are right scotsman because i will eat that crow with a smile until the sun comes up. But i apologize if that previous post came out harsher than i intended.

First off, apologies for the post--it's been deleted.

Second, I'm curious, just curious, what you are referring to in your first paragraph about my insinuation about JJ's playing preferences in Atlanta.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
First off, apologies for the post--it's been deleted.

Second, I'm curious, just curious, what you are referring to in your first paragraph about my insinuation about JJ's playing preferences in Atlanta.

apology accepted. Im glad even w/o knowing each other face to face we can still be accountable for mistakes...

I was reffering back to one of our many debates (i wouldnt even know how to go look for the thread) about how i said JJ would play the three in Atlanta if they were not so loaded there ,and you countered that no matter where Joe went his preference was to play the point. It was the whole Celtics,Kings, Suns three way trade thread that we were consistently miscommunicating about. Kind of contrived looking back at it.

No matter what our differences though chap, i know we have two things in common. Mike Stoops football and Lute Olsen basketball. Nuff said

:cheers:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
apology accepted. Im glad even w/o knowing each other face to face we can still be accountable for mistakes...

I was reffering back to one of our many debates (i wouldnt even know how to go look for the thread) about how i said JJ would play the three in Atlanta if they were not so loaded there ,and you countered that no matter where Joe went his preference was to play the point. It was the whole Celtics,Kings, Suns three way trade thread that we were consistently miscommunicating about. Kind of contrived looking back at it.

No matter what our differences though chap, i know we have two things in common. Mike Stoops football and Lute Olsen basketball. Nuff said

:cheers:

Sho nuff. :notworthy:

I do still think that no matter where he went, he'd want to play the point, but that's just an opinion and it is totally possible that he said he wanted to play the point in Atlanta just as a tactic to make it look like he really wanted to be there.

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
How does the compensation work? If an amnesty player signs with another team, and their contract is guaranteed by their previous team, what difference is it who can offer the more money? My understanding was that the previous team compensated the player with difference.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
yotes1921 said:
How does the compensation work? If an amnesty player signs with another team, and their contract is guaranteed by their previous team, what difference is it who can offer the more money? My understanding was that the previous team compensated the player with difference.

The previous team does pay the contract amount. The difference is that the money is spread out over a period of time. The amount Finley will be making this year will be much less then if Dallas didn't waive him.

Miami and Detroit can offer more money then the Suns can, so if Finley's decision has to do with money, then you can count Phoenix out.

sunsfn

Reaction score
First JJ, now Finley.........FINLEY, MAKE UP YOUR D.... MIND!! :soapbox:

This waiting sucks.........:mad:

Don't mind me, I am just having a bad day again! :bang: :(

Time for a home brew......:beer:

-

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
So your saying its like defered payments? if so, is it a defined amount of time?

fordronken

Reaction score
ESPN News said today that he's expected to sign with the Heat. I'm not sure how much stock I put in that, though. In the end, going to Miami gives him a shot at a championship, more money(especially if it's a longer deal), and almost zero expectations.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
big article on espn.com about how finley is interviewing teams in chi-town. they said there is NO stipulation from Cuban about the deferred payments changing if he goes east. interesting. suns visit him tomorrow btw.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
From the latest Finley article, I'm starting to realize that the guy has kept his mouth shut this whole time and everyone is trying to use logic to determine where he will go...Its all specualtion at this point...

Although the money aspect worries me....

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:

sorry, I'm not letting this go as quickly and easily as Chaplin did. The point of this post in the previous one is lost on me. Scotsman is clearly giving his opinion in that initial post when he says "I think" several times, and then he gives his reasons for his thinking. What more do you want? If you mistakenly take that as fact you are simply an idiot.

This message board is as good as it is because there are a lot of good, informed opinions . If you want only facts and credible news you should stick to reading the hoops hype summaries each morning. Be careful for the editorials that are summarized. They are someone's opinion as well.

Joe Mama

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake