Fire Petzing now

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was the most horrific OC performance I've ever seen. And I've seen some bad after 23 years in the stands.

Shotgun passes on 3rd and 4th and 1? No designed runs or RPO for Kyler? Running the ball on 3rd and 34, down heavy? Squandering a rare pick by the inept defense to put them back on the field AGAIN? Running the ball well but not then incorporating play action and rollouts? Not drawing up plays to free MHJ? Just a horrible offensive playcalling strategy, and it isn't just this game. It's been constant. He isn't good at this. He's not even below average at this.

I can give Rallis a pass because this is the least talented defense in the league. By far. Exposed as hell today, but Petzing did them no favors. Kyler didn't either, but ffs Michael Wilson catch a ball. Even on his nice catch that he eventually fumbled, he bobbled the catch. Kyler has his flaws, but when the OC can't even use him correctly it becomes glaring. Malpractice.

We can't put a game together at all, and our offense can't keep the worst defense in the league off the field. Petzing needs fired, immediately. I can call a better game and that's only partly hyperbole.

It was embarrassing in the stadium today. Worst I've felt at a game in a long time. I'm rowdy, normally. But there was very little to cheer for. Very little. God bless my wife for still yelling for the defense late in the game while I just sighed over and over.

Gutted by this game.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This was the most horrific OC performance I've ever seen. And I've seen some bad after 23 years in the stands.

Shotgun passes on 3rd and 4th and 1? No designed runs or RPO for Kyler? Running the ball on 3rd and 34, down heavy? Squandering a rare pick by the inept defense to put them back on the field AGAIN? Running the ball well but not then incorporating play action and rollouts? Not drawing up plays to free MHJ? Just a horrible offensive playcalling strategy, and it isn't just this game. It's been constant. He isn't good at this. He's not even below average at this.

I can give Rallis a pass because this is the least talented defense in the league. By far. Exposed as hell today, but Petzing did them no favors. Kyler didn't either, but ffs Michael Wilson catch a ball. Even on his nice catch that he eventually fumbled, he bobbled the catch. Kyler has his flaws, but when the OC can't even use him correctly it becomes glaring. Malpractice.

We can't put a game together at all, and our offense can't keep the worst defense in the league off the field. Petzing needs fired, immediately. I can call a better game and that's only partly hyperbole.

It was embarrassing in the stadium today. Worst I've felt at a game in a long time. I'm rowdy, normally. But there was very little to cheer for. Very little. God bless my wife for still yelling for the defense late in the game while I just sighed over and over.

Gutted by this game.
I was totally blown away that he never called even one play fake rollout/bootleg.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there anybody on the coaching staff who has experience calling plays previously?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We can't go from "Petzing is great" to "Fire Petzing" in like 2 weeks.

There was lots on that game that was on Kyler. I'm not sure what an OC can do when your QB can't handle man coverage.

Nobody came out of this game with any credit, blame everywhere, not least of which was the staff for a weak game plan, but Petzing is still one of the better OC's in the league.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Gutted by this game.

It was a hope-destroying loss, certainly.

And I agree, if I were going to draw up a game plan that would minimize Murray's strengths, and give us the least chance to win, yesterday is what I would have come up with. Were we trying to lose that game? Are we tanking?

But yeah, if it came over the news-wire this morning that DP got canned, I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

Veteran
Reaction score
Petzing certainly deserves blame but don’t forget most QBs can change plays at the line of scrimmage. For good or bad.

If K1 wanted to call his own number on 3rd or 4th and short, I’m sure he has the authority to change the play at the LOS. At least he should. If he’s earned the coaches trust after being 6 years in the league.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The maddening thing also is every game they come out and look like world beaters on their first drive and then nothing after that. I just can't figure that one out. It's like he can put together a game plan, a very effective game plan, for 1 drive and that's it.

I guess it'd be a like a student that, if you give him a week to study, will ace the exam but will also fail every pop quiz handed to him.

Agree on Rallis too. He just doesn't have any talent to work with, but I think he has them playing hard and pretty much to their capabilities.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The maddening thing also is every game they come out and look like world beaters on their first drive and then nothing after that. I just can't figure that one out. It's like he can put together a game plan, a very effective game plan, for 1 drive and that's it.

I guess it'd be a like a student that, if you give him a week to study, will ace the exam but will also fail every pop quiz handed to him.

Agree on Rallis too. He just doesn't have any talent to work with, but I think he has them playing hard and pretty much to their capabilities.
I was going to highlight this. Petzing can obviously script the first plays correctly. That is something to build off of. I will go back to what I said when Kliff was here. I don't know that Kyler does a lot of the things to help out his OC throughout the game. I could be wrong, but he seems to be hit or miss when it comes to audibling play calls during the game. I felt like I saw him do it the most vs Buffalo and not much since.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I doubt it happens. Bidwill hired a bargain basement, blue light special HC and staff. After all he is paying a couple of previous coaches already. So far, this regime is not showing much promise of change.

The "They Try Hard Gang" is really not a panacea to me. I am not disappointed because I expect the team to be what it has been for 100 years. I look forward to the 2 or 3 outlier seasons each decade and that's about it.

I root for them because they are the home team but I am not blindly drinking the Kool Aid either.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Gutted by this game.
amen

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
By no means defending him, but once the anger has subsided ask yourself - who is going to call plays if you fire DP the rest of the season? We have a young defense minded coach.

Sorry dudes- the ship has left port this season with DP as its captain. Too late this season to make a change

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was going to highlight this. Petzing can obviously script the first plays correctly. That is something to build off of. I will go back to what I said when Kliff was here. I don't know that Kyler does a lot of the things to help out his OC throughout the game. I could be wrong, but he seems to be hit or miss when it comes to audibling play calls during the game. I felt like I saw him do it the most vs Buffalo and not much since.

Kyler is a very difficult QB to OC for.

The best analogy I can think of is that Kyler is a drag car. You give him a straight road and he'll beat the pants off most anything.

You give him any corners and he's getting beat every time.

Kyler can look fantastic in a very specific set of circumstances and when they come around everyone gets their hopes up again. But I think it's clear now that Kyler has some very obvious limitations in certain aspects of his game that keep showing up (man coverage, progressions, timing routes, ball placement on crossing routes).

I wish I still had All 22 access because I think it would show a bunch of missed open guys.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There at LEAST has to be a talk by Gannon on the 3rd and 4th and short play calls the last couple of weeks. I mean, this offense is supposedly hanging it's hat on a strong offensive line and RB. Yet, on 4th and 1 against the Lions we try to sneak Kyler around the corner against a fast defense who was expecting that call. 4th and 1 at the goal line yesterday, a high risk pass that actually worked. But, a bad call IMO. 3rd and 1, with Conner in, shotgun pass. No play action even. 4th and 1 later, shotgun pass, no play action even.

Now, you absolutely can also criticize Kyler on those last two plays. But, RUN THE DAMN BALL. Do you think the line is good? Then TRUST them. For better or worse. Go down with your strength if you are going down.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kyler is a very difficult QB to OC for.

The best analogy I can think of is that Kyler is a drag car. You give him a straight road and he'll beat the pants off most anything.

You give him any corners and he's getting beat every time.

Kyler can look fantastic in a very specific set of circumstances and when they come around everyone gets their hopes up again. But I think it's clear now that Kyler has some very obvious limitations in certain aspects of his game that keep showing up (man coverage, progressions, timing routes, ball placement on crossing routes).

I wish I still had All 22 access because I think it would show a bunch of missed open guys.
Can’t disagree more with this. Kykers greatest plays have literally been off script. That said, it’s his inability to read and react quickly enough that seems to be his true undoing. That and I think he’s got some panic in him. Both in the moment (of each play) and in a game (he allows bad to snowball).

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
It was absolutely abysmal yesterday...only made worse by the fact that i chose to spend my birthday making the 2 hour drive up and back to sit through that shellacking. I've seen a lot of bad Cards games in my life but that was in the top 5 of most painful...turrible

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
you coach murray - you give him all the weapons AND OPTIONS to be successful - he's never going to stick to the script and that's honestly what makes him dangerous

but when we combine a non stellar day by murray and some hamstringing playcall at the most inopportune times it becomes a double whammy

regardless - kyler was outplayed by a rookie making his fourth start on a team nobody expected - we've lost the shootout for the second week in a row - offense is all we got

but anyways - the playcall is absolutely a problem - Jayden thanked God after the game and kingsbury for keeping the pedal on the gas

petzing should've known kingsbury had an ax to grind yet he showed up with a knife - less creative than the post you're reading this very second

it's not unexpected if it doesn't work - there's a reason other teams don't call those plays on those downs - there's a reason the announcers keep poo pooing on our playcall - we're angry they're just shocked

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look across the football landscape and you see teams in shotgun in short yardage situations all the time. I am old school and simply find that inexplicable but it is the new reality. I admit it is much more commonplace in college than pros but you see it a fair amount in the NFL.

The problem is Kyler is not a physical QB (in fact I maintain he is actually soft) so my guess is the coaches see little value putting him under center in those situations.

Last edited:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Petzing certainly deserves blame but don’t forget most QBs can change plays at the line of scrimmage. For good or bad.
There was a play in the 2nd or 3rd quarter when I couldn’t believe we didn’t change the play. The defense put 9 guys in the box and had press on Harrison on the outside. Anytime you see 8 in the box you should usually audible out of the run play unless you’re playing clock. 9 in the box? Come on, we ran Conner directly into a wall for no good reason. Check out of it, get the ball in the air over all those guys. They’re giving you an opportunity, take it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake