Fire Petzing now

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Apropos the subject of this thread, I think Warner's analysis almost completely exonerates Petzing. Much as in Kingsbury's offense, plays are well designed and guys are getting open.

Warner points out some tweaks that could improve the play design or execution, the responsibility for which falls on coaching.

A big flaw seems to be that Murray is setting to throw before routes have developed enough to let him see who's about to come open. Coaching him to slow down his backpedal or add a step seems as though it would be a lot more effective than shortening the routes.

I felt as though Kingsbury kept on simplifying the offense and limiting the playbook to plays that Murray was able to execute properly, resulting in playcalling that was too predictable and horizontal. Seems as though the same might be happening with Petzing. Not much pew-pew is going on.

Both play designers / callers were effective for a while, then went downhill. Murray is the common denominator.
If that is what Kurt thinks then I owe Drew an apology. Not that Drew cares but it's the principle of the thing.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apropos the subject of this thread, I think Warner's analysis almost completely exonerates Petzing. Much as in Kingsbury's offense, plays are well designed and guys are getting open.

Warner points out some tweaks that could improve the play design or execution, the responsibility for which falls on coaching.

A big flaw seems to be that Murray is setting to throw before routes have developed enough to let him see who's about to come open. Coaching him to slow down his backpedal or add a step seems as though it would be a lot more effective than shortening the routes.

I felt as though Kingsbury kept on simplifying the offense and limiting the playbook to plays that Murray was able to execute properly, resulting in playcalling that was too predictable and horizontal. Seems as though the same might be happening with Petzing. Not much pew-pew is going on.

Both play designers / callers were effective for a while, then went downhill. Murray is the common denominator.

So after watching this it does appear to me the problem is mostly Kyler.

Guys are open, but he seems to always be rushing to get the pass off before the route that forces the defense to commit is occurring. I am not sure how much of this is him not trusting his pass blocking (somewhat understandable) and how much is him simply not understanding what he needs to be waiting for.

i wish I could say I thought this was correctable, but this is year 6 and he should not still be having these kind of issues.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after watching this it does appear to me the problem is mostly Kyler.

Guys are open, but he seems to always be rushing to get the pass off before the route that forces the defense to commit is occurring. I am not sure how much of this is him not trusting his pass blocking (somewhat understandable) and how much is him simply not understanding what he needs to be waiting for.

i wish I could say I thought this was correctable, but this is year 6 and he should not still be having these kind of issues.
Here’s what I can’t get out of my head. Last year, with Dobbs, we were all really excited about the offense and guys were getting open downfield and we were taking shots… Dobbs just couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.

Everyone to a man thought that Kyler could lift the offense simply because he was definitely a better passer than Dobbs. But now, with Kyler and the same passing options or better, no one is getting open and Petzig is obviously horrible… despite him scheming a better offense than we thought and coming into the season with some heat … and despite the fact that last guy (Kingsbury) blamed for Kyler’s woes is lighting the league up with a rookie QB everyone here thought would bust, one good WR and a middling core everywhere else that had no success last year.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here’s what I can’t get out of my head. Last year, with Dobbs, we were all really excited about the offense and guys were getting open downfield and we were taking shots… Dobbs just couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.

Everyone to a man thought that Kyler could lift the offense simply because he was definitely a better passer than Dobbs. But now, with Kyler and the same passing options or better, no one is getting open and Petzig is obviously horrible… despite him scheming a better offense than we thought and coming into the season with some heat … and despite the fact that last guy (Kingsbury) blamed for Kyler’s woes is lighting the league up with a rookie QB everyone here thought would bust, one good WR and a middling core everywhere else that had no success last year.
Uh, how many games did Dobbs actually win?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach