Flip Saunders next Suns HC?

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
In the AP article, Porter was mentioned, hell, even Avery. But yeah, I go with the guys here, I don't like Flip as HC. But Porter would be alot expensive now, I think.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
In the AP article, Porter was mentioned, hell, even Avery. But yeah, I go with the guys here, I don't like Flip as HC. But Porter would be alot expensive now, I think.

I don't see why. All reports indicate that it's Curry unless they go to the outside and there has been no contact with the Bulls.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't see why. All reports indicate that it's Curry unless they go to the outside and there has been no contact with the Bulls.

Our pal Stephen A. Smith is already reporting that Curry has been hired by Detroit. I'll wait until a credible journalist confirms the report before I believe it

nowagimp

Reaction score
Our pal Stephen A. Smith is already reporting that Curry has been hired by Detroit. I'll wait until a credible journalist confirms the report before I believe it

yeah and collins was reported as already hired by the bulls too!

Irish

Registered
Reaction score

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080603/SPORTS03/80603127/1048/

MICHAEL ROSENBERG • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • June 3, 2008

Michael Curry is the heavy favorite to be the Pistons’ next coach. This does not mean it’s a done deal. It definitely won’t happen this week.

Dumars will talk to Pistons assistant Terry Porter, the former Milwaukee Bucks head coach, and former Mavericks coach Avery Johnson, a fellow Louisianan who is interested in the job. But the job is clearly Curry’s to lose, and he is unlikely to lose it.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080604/OPINION03/806040362/1004

Bob Wojnowski - Detroit News

A remarkable era of Pistons basketball might be passing and a new one pending, with assistant Michael Curry probably stepping in as coach and a big-name player or two perhaps stepping out. Dumars says he wants his team's lineup to be much different, and I believe him. The problem is, what he wants and what he can pull off in a salary-cap world might not match.

This will be Dumars' toughest test in years because the coaching carousel can't spin forever. And if an experienced coach like Saunders didn't command the players' respect, might it be difficult for Curry, with just one season as an assistant, to do it?
Dumars said he'll talk to a few candidates and probably have his coach within a week. Sounds like he has someone in mind. It sounds like he's poised to take a gamble with Curry, considered a strong leader, but a young leader.

Last edited:

nowagimp

Reaction score
Two friends of mine, a pistons fan, and a lakers fan(the non arrogant variety, they do exist) are suggesting a trade between the suns and the pistons with the proposed hiring of flip as head coach in phoenix.

the suns trade
boris diaw
amare stoudemire

the pistons trade
rasheed wallace
tayshawn prince

These guys think the suns are too old to run anymore and that shaq and rasheed, and prince will defend the paint for the suns in a half court game that flip brings to town. They also p;oint out that prince will guard Nashs man and that if he gets by prince there is always 2 7 footers to shut down the easy scores int he paint. Add to that perhaps a draft of McGee @ #15, and the front court may be covered.

Im not sure I like trading amare, even though I have been an amare critic. their point is that it instantly makes the suns better defensively and that rasheed/ shaq complement each other outside/inside better than amare/shaq. Ughh, I dont like depending on shaq for the inside game, not sure he'll even play 50 games this year.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Two friends of mine, a pistons fan, and a lakers fan(the non arrogant variety, they do exist) are suggesting a trade between the suns and the pistons with the proposed hiring of flip as head coach in phoenix.

the suns trade
boris diaw
amare stoudemire

the pistons trade
rasheed wallace
tayshawn prince

These guys think the suns are too old to run anymore and that shaq and rasheed, and prince will defend the paint for the suns in a half court game that flip brings to town. They also p;oint out that prince will guard Nashs man and that if he gets by prince there is always 2 7 footers to shut down the easy scores int he paint. Add to that perhaps a draft of McGee @ #15, and the front court may be covered.

Im not sure I like trading amare, even though I have been an amare critic. their point is that it instantly makes the suns better defensively and that rasheed/ shaq complement each other outside/inside better than amare/shaq. Ughh, I dont like depending on shaq for the inside game, not sure he'll even play 50 games this year.

Only problem with this scenario is that Rasheed cannot stand Flip. The rift between them is well known. When the players openly took sides with Rasheed, Flip was essentially done in Detroit.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

the suns trade
boris diaw
amare stoudemire

the pistons trade
rasheed wallace
tayshawn prince

Thats not a good trade for the Suns, If Stoudemire is being traded, Suns will need an inside scorer back.

Throw Maxiel with Prince and Wallace and that will be the "base".... that should be the minimum before Kerr should even look at it.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Amare is not going anywhere. If they won't move him for Garnett, there is simply no one out there they'd take.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
While im a big prince fan, Amare is being stolen in that trade.

maybe wallace/prince/stuckey/1st rounder

MAYBE

nowagimp

Reaction score
While im a big prince fan, Amare is being stolen in that trade.

maybe wallace/prince/stuckey/1st rounder

MAYBE

Its a price that I dont like as well, and I expect that now is the wrong time to try to unload Diaw. The price of unloading Diaws contract is going to be steep.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
We seem to go through this process every year. Why do people think that they can get value for somebody they don't like, mostly because the guy is too expensive?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Thats a pretty watered down observation Irish. I havent seen that at all. In fact I see most people taking an objective approach to the Diaw albatross by pairing it with barbosa's contract and/or the draft pick.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a pretty watered down observation Irish. I havent seen that at all. In fact I see most people taking an objective approach to the Diaw albatross by pairing it with barbosa's contract and/or the draft pick.

I agree. Barbosa has one of the best contracts in the NBA from a value standpoint. If this was just a Diaw straight up trade type scenario I would agree with Irish. However, throwing in Barbosa and our pick changes everything.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I agree. Barbosa has one of the best contracts in the NBA from a value standpoint. If this was just a Diaw straight up trade type scenario I would agree with Irish. However, throwing in Barbosa and our pick changes everything.

But right now Diaws value is at a low spot, if they just would start the guy his stats would get better and his contract length would decrease each year. Dumping another #1 pick is just dumb.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score

I am not sure Barbosa has the tremendous trade value you think he has. My assumption is that Diaw is about $3 to $4 million a year overpaid (he would have had a MLE IMHO), but Barbosa is by no means underpaid by $3 to $4 million.

First, Barbosa has had two terrible playoffs against the Spurs in consecutive years.

Second, Barbosa is not really a starter type player. He's not a good defender, he's too small for SG, and not a very good playermaker to play PG. He's likely to be a career off the bench "instant offense" guy.

Third, he's apparently got an issue with his knee. Even if all he needs is rest, it is still disturbing to read he thinks he was overused.

So while I do not think he's overpaid, I do not think Barbosa's market value is as high as some people think nor will magically make Diaw's contract all that more attractive..

In any case, I think it is worth waiting to see if the new coach can get more productivity out of Diaw and Barbosa's heath questions are resolved.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
Its a price that I dont like as well, and I expect that now is the wrong time to try to unload Diaw. The price of unloading Diaws contract is going to be steep.

You know that's a ripoff, don't you? Whenever anybody comes with a trade for Amare, I'd like to ask them how much they think Amare be worth maximally to their respective team, for what they want to trade him for.

So, if it's worth only Rasheed or Brand or #1 overall for them, I say they don't appreciate his enough. With all his shortcomings, Amare is a franchise player. If you want to steal a franchise player from a team, you gotta gut out the most valuable core of your team, or else there is no deal, unless you expect Grizzs in Suns. Rasheed and Prince worn out their welcome in Detroit, they are not in position to rip off other teams as if they were franchise type of players. Get me an alternative trade for this package, you will see how ridiculous that proposal is. I see Piston fans talk about Rasheed for Chandler as if it was a favor to the Hornets! No, Rasheed has never been more than a good complementary player, just as Prince and Hamilton on that team. Their only true star is Billups.

nowagimp

Reaction score
You know that's a ripoff, don't you? Whenever anybody comes with a trade for Amare, I'd like to ask them how much they think Amare be worth maximally to their respective team, for what they want to trade him for.

So, if it's worth only Rasheed or Brand or #1 overall for them, I say they don't appreciate his enough. With all his shortcomings, Amare is a franchise player. If you want to steal a franchise player from a team, you gotta gut out the most valuable core of your team, or else there is no deal, unless you expect Grizzs in Suns. Rasheed and Prince worn out their welcome in Detroit, they are not in position to rip off other teams as if they were franchise type of players. Get me an alternative trade for this package, you will see how ridiculous that proposal is. I see Piston fans talk about Rasheed for Chandler as if it was a favor to the Hornets! No, Rasheed has never been more than a good complementary player, just as Prince and Hamilton on that team. Their only true star is Billups.

I agree with all of it except that I and my piston fan buddies think prince is their best player. Prince is the best wing defender -straight up and on help- in the NBA, including bowen and all the others.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all of it except that I and my piston fan buddies think prince is their best player. Prince is the best wing defender -straight up and on help- in the NBA, including bowen and all the others.

Prince is a very good player and plays defense rather than rollerball. That does not change the fact that he's not a franchise player.

BTW, if I wanted Rasheed's personality, I think the Suns could get Artest for less money. Artest is a great defender with some serious offensive skills, but he's pretty much the definittion of "loose cannon".

Haren

Veteran
Reaction score
If the Suns trade Amare Stoudemire, consider me no longer a fan.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
If the Suns trade Amare Stoudemire, consider me no longer a fan.

Players like Amare (all star, young, athletic) are only treded when they insist on being traded such what happened with KG and Gasol. The number of times that teams have gotten better after trading a superstar is pretty low. (Nance quite was good, but he was not at the Amare or Barkley level).

To make matters worse, if the Suns actually were prepared to trade Amare, everybody would assume his knee is bad and so wouldn't want him.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To make matters worse, if the Suns actually were prepared to trade Amare, everybody would assume his knee is bad and so wouldn't want him.

come on dude seriously? amare is probably one of the most 5 coveted players in the nba.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
come on dude seriously? amare is probably one of the most 5 coveted players in the nba.

The easiest way to think about it is to ask what players under 30 you would accept in a straight up trade. In the NBA, you can only put five guys on the court so trading quality for quanity is rarely a good move.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05