Flip Saunders next Suns HC?

corrado

Registered
Reaction score
If the Pistons cut Saunders loose after 3 straight post season failures, I would be shocked if the Suns don't at least interview him and possibly hire him. Vet coach that is much respected.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns wouldn't want to pay for a top HC... would they?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Still more interested in Porter, for some reason. Though I wouldn't be mad if they hired Flip.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still more interested in Porter, for some reason. Though I wouldn't be mad if they hired Flip.

I mention it only because in an interview with Sarver or Kerr (can't remember), there was some mention that the new HC would not be making as much money as D'Antoni. I'm not saying the Suns wouldn't hire Flip Saunders but it is also fair to ask would they?

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought we were still trying to pretend that we're a contender. So why would we want a guy who can't even get his team into the nba finals out of the east? :p

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we were still trying to pretend that we're a contender. So why would we want a guy who can't even get his team into the nba finals out of the east? :p

I'm not sure if Flip would consider leaving Detroit or know anything about his contract situation. However he is a veteran coach with a record of winning over the years and he emphasizes defense. Also the Suns are a veteran team that needs a veteran coach. The Suns could do far worse than consider him as a HC (if he were available). Also the Celtics are not pushovers although I don't think they will get by the Lakers. Anyway, I don't think Flip is going anywhere.

Here is a link regarding Flips Saunders from NBA.com:

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/flip_saunders/

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the Pistons cut Saunders loose after 3 straight post season failures, I would be shocked if the Suns don't at least interview him and possibly hire him. Vet coach that is much respected.
Please no. We just freed ourselves of one underachieving HC.
I don't want another rah rah pretender.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Flip has been a good coach for the Pistons. IMHO if he gets let go it will be more due to their losing to Cavs a year ago than this year's team. The Celtics have three superstars and a lot of talent. Last year the PIstons were a much better team than the Cavs and just did not play well.

My doubts about Sanders is not due to his playoff issues but that his style is totally different than what the Suns are pushing for.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Don't we have enough semi finals and finals trips? If he could not get over the hump with a good defensive team, how do you figure him to be successful with Suns?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Don't we have enough semi finals and finals trips? If he could not get over the hump with a good defensive team, how do you figure him to be successful with Suns?
Right. Better than D'Antoni should not be the criteria.

Skills to lead the '08-09 Suns to a Championship and change our reputation of being soft should prevail.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score

so who else is there?

you want a coach with championship experience and overall experience? the only options are poach from phil jackson's crew or popovich's crew.

the options are not many

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Most obvservations about Flip can be applied to Porter, since Terry has been the top assistant the past two years. 2007-08 the Pistons defense permitted shooters to hit only 43.7% during the regular season (3rd best) and 44.6% in the playoffs. 2006-07 opponents shot 44.5%

Who do you give credit to for this? Realistically, Carlise and Brown were the ones that put together that defense, so it's not clear if either guy should get full credit.

Actually, Id be a little bit concerned about either Flip or Porter based on their offense. During the season the Pistons averaged 97.5 ppg on 45.8% from the field and 36.6% for three.

In the ECF, the Pistons lost due to the offense or lack therof. In the EC finals the Pistons shot 45% from the field and 34% for three for an average of 89 ppg. In their last game they scored only 13 points in the fourth quarter, their overall offense was not very effective. (Againt the Spurs the Suns offense was terrible and the shot only 46.1%).

So can Porter teach offense? It's hard to say. His teams in Milwuakee were not very athleti. During Perter's time in Portland, his team never averaged less than 106 ppg. But he was part of the run and gun Blazers of the late 80's and early 90's, Their best years were 1989-90 through 1991-92

1989-90 114.2 ppg lost in finals
1990-91 114.7 ppg lost in WCF
1991-92 111.4 ppg lost in finals

Admittedly, Sanders teams in Minnesota had good stats (lots of points and good defensive hield goal percentage). However, he had 7 straight first round exits. Were his teams just overachieving?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Now that Flip Saunders is out, what are the chances he'll interview here?

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
This sorta throws a wrench into the Suns' situation, If Terry Porter is indeed their leading choice. He is also a leading candidate to replace Flip in Detroit. Surely he would move up with the Pistons rather than move and start from scratch with Phoenix.

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
LOL @ anyone who wants him here.

No, he doesn't bring defense here. This guy has horrible in game adjustments and he's just like D'Antoni, complacent. Please. NO.

nowagimp

Reaction score
LOL @ anyone who wants him here.

No, he doesn't bring defense here. This guy has horrible in game adjustments and he's just like D'Antoni, complacent. Please. NO.

Flip is worse than DA, he inherited a championship caliber team and went backwards. At least DA went forward(no where to go but forward with those suns). Now that the suns will not get porter, it looks like the better prospects may not have head coaching experience(thibodeau, other assistants of elite teams). The suns were outmaneuvered for carlisle by the mavs and now this. With the bulls having the most desirable open head coach position outside the pistons, it looks like the suns will have to wait for the leftovers, ughhh!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curry taking Saunders place per ESPN

Flip Saunders was fired as Detroit Pistons coach Tuesday, four days after his team was eliminated by the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals.

And ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reported that Pistons assistant Michael Curry will be named Saunders' successor, according to a source close to the Pistons. Curry is also a former Pistons player and official in the players' union.

President of basketball operations Joe Dumars said it's "time for a new voice to lead our team." Saunders had a year left on a four-year deal he signed in 2005. The decision comes three years after Saunders took over for Larry Brown, who led the Pistons to two straight NBA Finals.

"Decisions like this are difficult to make, especially with the success we have had throughout the last three regular seasons," Dumars said in a statement. "However, at this time, I feel it is necessary to make a change."

A message left for Saunders on Tuesday was not immediately returned.

In Saunders' three seasons, the Pistons were 176-70 in the regular season and 30-21 in the postseason, but they lost in the Eastern Conference finals each year.

The Pistons have appeared in six straight conference finals, the first franchise to do so since the Los Angeles Lakers in the 1980s. But they also are the second team in league history to lose in the round before the NBA Finals three years in a row, joining the Celtics from 1953 to 1955.

Dumars decided a year ago to bring back key players who have been together since the 2004 championship season, as well as Saunders, while infusing energy with rookies and young reserves. But after the loss in Game 6 of the East finals to Boston on Friday, the likelihood of change grew.

Before coming to Detroit, Saunders was 411-326 with the Minnesota Timberwolves from 1995-05. He led them to eight straight postseason appearances -- seven first-round exits and an appearance in the 2004 conference finals. After leading Minnesota to a franchise-high 58 wins, he was fired with a 25-26 mark in the 2004-05 season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Flip is worse than DA, he inherited a championship caliber team and went backwards. At least DA went forward(no where to go but forward with those suns). Now that the suns will not get porter, it looks like the better prospects may not have head coaching experience(thibodeau, other assistants of elite teams). The suns were outmaneuvered for carlisle by the mavs and now this. With the bulls having the most desirable open head coach position outside the pistons, it looks like the suns will have to wait for the leftovers, ughhh!

What are you talking about? Porter now has the best chance of being our coach than anyone.

nowagimp

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Porter now has the best chance of being our coach than anyone.

2+2=? the post time chronology was after saunders was out and before it was reported that curry was selected. But I guess that would have taken a more careful read to figure that out.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you bring another coach in here with a reputation of being out coached in the playoffs?!?!? No thanks. No Flip.

I am not that big on Porter either or any other assistant without a good amount HC experience. Porter has some. However, if he could get a solid staff in here I guess it would at least be worth a look.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
2+2=? the post time chronology was after saunders was out and before it was reported that curry was selected. But I guess that would have taken a more careful read to figure that out.

The first article that said the Saunders was out said that Curry was expected to take over. Porter wasn't mentioned in any article, early or late.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05