Folks...What was your instant reaction when...

What was your reaction seeing the Matrix rolling around in agoney?

• Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Votes: 44 71.0%
  • Crap...there goes the Matrix for Kevin G. trade...

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Other...

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
You're not wrong - but your making a HUGE assumption (IMO) that Amare is Amare when he comes back - I'm very leary of holding that opinion. That's why I see KG as an insurance policy in a way. If the deal is made, The Nash/Bell/KG/Diaw/KT/TT team is better than what we have now - and if Amare DOES come back, we absolutely DEMOLISH everyone.

I'm certainly not arguing against that. But then again, substitute KG for virtually any other player and it doesn't look as good. In fact, if you take Marion off the team and put in almost anyone in the league outside of Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant, the advantage is negligible.

Like I said, if Amare is able to come back full bore next year, I really have no problem with Marion on the team and he'd be the perfect complementary player as that team likely WOULD demolish everyone, but that's a HUGE if on Amare IMO and thus the reason that if that deal we're to be available, you'd have to take it in a heartbeat - either way, the team is better and you have insurance in case Amare never becomes Amare again.

Sure there's risk, but a lot of that comes from people not understanding the problems that Amare was having:

1) Microfracture: For all intents and purposes, the knee with that surgery is doing great, and was doing great when he returned. There has been no talk at all from anyone that the microfractured knee was having any complications, then or now. People forget that.

2) The cyst removal: This is what made him miss the rest of the year, and it was essentially a basic surgery, but when it is mentioned in the same breath as microfracture, everyone freaks out about it (see: virtually all Skkorpion's posts on the Suns board).

There is a much bigger chance of him not coming back in shape then there is him coming back with major knee problems due to these surgeries. And I'll take those chances.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Sure there's risk, but a lot of that comes from people not understanding the problems that Amare was having:

1) Microfracture: For all intents and purposes, the knee with that surgery is doing great, and was doing great when he returned. There has been no talk at all from anyone that the microfractured knee was having any complications, then or now. People forget that.

2) The cyst removal: This is what made him miss the rest of the year, and it was essentially a basic surgery, but when it is mentioned in the same breath as microfracture, everyone freaks out about it (see: virtually all Skkorpion's posts on the Suns board).

There is a much bigger chance of him not coming back in shape then there is him coming back with major knee problems due to these surgeries. And I'll take those chances.

yeah - well, the history of the surgery definitely has me leery, as does the opinion of my father, who's a Orthopedic surgeon and my best friend who's an orthopedic surgeon, both of whom have a pretty solid undestanding of the knee and the surgery who beg to differ on how long and how strong a knee can be when taking that kidn of pounding for a professional athlete.

Seriously Chap - do you really think that if there WAS a problem, we'd be hearing about it? All we heard about Penny coming back from that surgery was that he's really getting back into it and it's just a matter of time yada, yada, yada, yada. This tam STILL has a bottom line and that's selling a product and a healthy Amare IS the product that have to sell.

As far as the cyst - fine - regular surgery - sorry, but there ain't nothing regular about a guy, who's game depends on explosiveness having two knee surgeries in one season - especially so early in his career - sure, on one hand you can look at it and say "he's young - he'll heal fast!", but on the other hand there's the idea that with this little wear and tear, this guy already has this many knee problems? That one bothers me a little more.

Like I said, I'd rather us cover our bases if we can, and the ONLY way we can accomplish that is by somehow pulling off a KG deal - otherwise, I've said repeatedly - but I guess I'll have to say it again - don't move Shawn Marion just to move him. I know people would LIKE for that to be what I'm saying because a lot of people have a problem with a nuanced opinion (and I'm NOT talking about you here), but it's easier agruing black and white points than wading into shades of grey.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
yeah - well, the history of the surgery definitely has me leery, as does the opinion of my father, who's a Orthopedic surgeon and my best friend who's an orthopedic surgeon, both of whom have a pretty solid undestanding of the knee and the surgery who beg to differ on how long and how strong a knee can be when taking that kidn of pounding for a professional athlete.

But it's not like you're talking down and being condescending or anything... :rolleyes: If I would have known that, maybe this conversation would be different.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
But it's not like you're talking down and being condescending or anything... :rolleyes: If I would have known that, maybe this conversation would be different.

Chap - you're way too sensitive man - all I was saying that post was that the history and conversations with doctors lead me to believe otherwise. How was that being condescending?

Actually - in re-reading my post - was it that "yeah, well" that made it sound like the entire statement was condescending? I guess things get lost in translation, but it wasn't my intent to talk down or anything - just to show where I was coming from, but I guess with our history of going back and forth, I guess I could see where you're coming there - again - not intended - just wanted to show why I think the way I do with Amare, and Marion for that matter.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
My first impression was, "Marion's milking it again". Shawn is a very durable player (who'll play through any minor injury), but he's not known to have a high pain threshold.

He was actually hurt worse than I initially thought. After seeing the replay, it wouldn't surprise me if Marion is limited in game 6.