For once, Cards seem right in contract flap

CardsGuy

Registered
Reaction score
For once, Cards seem right in contract flap

By Scott Bordow, Tribune Columnist

The Cardinals begin voluntary team workouts in June. Here’s guessing wide receiver Anquan Boldin won’t be one of the volunteers.

Boldin’s contractual dispute with the Cardinals has reached the uh-oh stage.
Training camp doesn’t open until Aug. 1, but the seeds of a nasty and prolonged holdout have been planted.

Here’s the deal, or in this case, the lack of a deal: Arizona is willing to
renegotiate Boldin’s rookie contract — a four-year, $2.47 million accord that will pay him $380,000 this season. But Boldin’s new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, wants not an extension but a completely new deal.

Complicating matters is the fact Rosenhaus also represents Philadelphia’s Terrell Owens, Green Bay’s Javon Walker, Washington’s Sean Taylor and Cleveland’s Reuben Droughns, all of whom have at least two more years left on their contracts but seek new financial arrangements.

If this is about Rosenhaus’ testosterone level, and not what’s in the best interests of his clients, the Cardinals are in for a long and prickly summer. Usually, it’s easy to distinguish right from wrong in contract squabbles. Owens wants Philadelphia to tear up his $46 million deal? Go cry in the river, fella. But the issues separating Boldin and the Cardinals aren’t so easily defined. Boldin deserves a new deal. He caught 101 passes as a rookie in 2003 and might have hit triple figures again last year had a knee injury not sidelined him for six games.

He’s terrific in the community and arguably the Cardinals’ most popular player. When Arizona put up billboards across the Valley to promote its new uniform, Boldin was the model.

Remember, too, that Boldin isn’t following Owens’ selfish lead. It was the Cardinals who first broached the possibility of a contract extension.

This was vice president of football operations Rod Graves last December: "Anquan is a winner, and we are hoping to have a long-term relationship with him."

There are justifiable limits to the Cardinals’ largesse, though. Graves declined comment Thursday on the negotiations, other than to say Arizona has offered Boldin a fouryear contract extension, which would take him through the 2010 season.

But press your ear to the ground, and this is what you hear: The Cardinals’ offer included a signing bonus of between $8 million and $10 million, and the total deal would be worth approximately $40 million.

It’s an incredibly generous offer for a player who has had one great season.

Rosenhaus, however, seems to think Boldin is Randy Moss (without the baggage), for he wants superstar money.

News flash: Boldin may be a superstar one day, but he’s not one today.

Larry Fitzgerald’s rookie deal also has put a crimp into the negotiations.

Is it fair that Fitzgerald — who has yet to prove himself Boldin’s equal on the field or in the locker room — will have $16 million in his pocket when he reports to training camp this summer, and Boldin’s signing bonus was $1.2 million?

Of course not. But that’s life in the NFL. Fitzgerald was the No. 3 overall pick in 2004; Boldin a second-round choice the year before.

If Rosenhaus and Boldin are holding out for Fitzgerald money, they’re in the wrong, not Arizona.

Boldin should call Rosenhaus today and tell him to accept the Cardinals’ offer. If Rosenhaus fights him on it, here’s Boldin’s cue card:

"Fine, then I’ll find myself another agent and he’ll get your cut of $40 million."

It’s not often the Cardinals wear the white hat in contract disputes. But, if their purported offer is true, this is one of those times.

They’re willing to make Boldin a very rich man and, it should be noted, open the door for other players to ask for extensions should they make the Pro Bowl their rookie year.

Take the deal, Anquan.

For it’s a short walk from being the public’s favorite player to Public Enemy No. 1.

Contact Scott Bordow by email, or phone (480) 898-6598

Reaction score
Nice article...he's exactly right, Boldin may be a superstar one day, but he's not one right now!

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Wow, 40 million. I'm one of them that is firmly in the resign Boldin group, but not even I think he deserves that, unless at least half is incentive laden on plays, Tds, and PBs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's the offer, Quan should take it, I agree.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Take the Canoli, Anquan.
You must be registered for see images attach

:wave:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I think I'm not liking Anquan...

Deacon Jones was on NFL network talking about he said this (I'm summarizing)
"Ya can't change cuz ya think ya deserve more money, everybody deserves more money, play out the contract then bring up a new contract. Honor your contract. There's gonna come a time when you won't live up to your contract" When they broaught up players making strong statements on the way they play and deserve a new contract he said " It doesn't matter, you inked the contract, play it out. "
He was right on...

CardsRep03

Registered
Reaction score
Man, I'd jump on his BASE salaries! Much less a guaranteed $8 mil.... But pro atleletes are different than regular joes like you or I. Man, if his contract calls for $40 mil total...he's CRAZY not to sign it. I wonder how much Quan is seeking?

You know, it was bad enough when you have to deal with superstars who are Unrestricted free agents who are demanding more money and holding everyone hostage until they get it. But, guys who are under contract placing a black clould over the whole team and it's fans is just wrong.

Having said all this Quan is still my favorite player and still hope he shows up for camp--with a NEW contract in hand. Come on Q...do the right thing--Spike Lee.

seesred

Reaction score
I'm a strong Quan backer. But if all the numbers are true I hope he smart enough to sign and seal this deal. I don't know if Quan or any of his friends read our stuff, But if you do Talk with him. We want him, like him and need him on this team. BUt he can't do what he is doing without getting hurt. SIGN IT!

GBR

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I don't understand this. How could he have been offered $40 million over four years. That is superstar money. He would be making more than Terrell Owens on a yearly basis with his seven-year $49 million contract. No player in the NFL would turn down $10 million per year. Well, except Peyton Manning. What am I missing here? That can't be true.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
wilycoyote24 said:
I don't understand this. How could he have been offered $40 million over four years. That is superstar money. He would be making more than Terrell Owens on a yearly basis with his seven-year $49 million contract. No player in the NFL would turn down $10 million per year. Well, except Peyton Manning. What am I missing here? That can't be true.

It's 40 million over six years, the two years left on his contract and a four year extension.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Azlen said:
It's 40 million over six years, the two years left on his contract and a four year extension.

Ah, well then if Boldin doesn't accept that deal I hope he has played his last game as a Cardinal.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
wilycoyote24 said:
1. Four year extension. That's the remaining two years + four extra years = 6 years.
2. We don't know the details of the deal. It's a six year deal potentially worth $40M. We don't know how much money is garanteed and what the incentives are to reach the full $40M.
3. The structure. My guess this is the hold-up. Q wants a lot of money up front, but given his knees I'm certain the Cards are reluctant to give him the entire signing bonus on day one.

Last edited:

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like Mr. Anquan Boldin has found "old man greed ". I hope they have a happy life where ever that is. Oh well, break a leg.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
I say play hardball with Quan if he is "THIS" kind of greedy, the way Rosenpuke is greedy. If they won't be reasonable, don't negotiate, he can play for what he signed, and then we can let him go or Franchise him after TWO YEARS! He has no leverage IMHO. If he sits, he still doesn't gain that year back on his contract, and we don't have to pay him.

Hey Quan, FIRE YOUR AGENT ALREADY!

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Wouldn't this deal be basically a new contract as opposed to an extension? He would either be making $10 million per year over the extended portion of the contract, which is ridiculous, or he would be making about $6.5 million over the final two years of his current contract, which is a HUGE raise over what he is making currently.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
wilycoyote24 said:
Wouldn't this deal be basically a new contract as opposed to an extension? He would either be making $10 million per year over the extended portion of the contract, which is ridiculous, or he would be making about $6.5 million over the final two years of his current contract, which is a HUGE raise over what he is making currently.

Total value of the extension: $40 million
Signing bonus of $9 million. (Splitting difference b/t 8 and 10)
Leftover value: $31 million
$31 million over six years: $5.16 million per year.
$31 million over four years (the extended life of the new contract, which wouldn't have to be guaranteed and put the Cards at lower risk): $7.75 million.

I'm guessing that Quan would get somewhere between $1.5 and $2 million raises for the two remaining years on his original contract, but the salaries would escalate as they enter the new period on the deal, which would probably necessitate a new contract in year 5 of the new contract (maybe a listed $8 million salary in 2009).

What will be interesting is if Rosenhaus tries to force the Cards into more roster bonuses and such instead of the straight salaries that the Cards like to do.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
This is the kind of crap...

... that turns so many people off to professional sports. These athletes and their agents just do not have grip on reality. If the numbers that Bordow is reporting are even close to what was offered...my opinion of Q has just done a 180.
Might be time to start practicing in front of the mirror with the paper hat Q... "did you want fries with that?"

Get real Rosenhaus and Q... get your spoiled, misguided ARSE back in the game!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing of note, I read a blurb on Rosenhaus and his brother on another site. One thing is Rosenhaus always tells his clients up front he needs almost TOTAL control of contract talks. The reason is Rosenhaus doesn't want to have a player feeling guilty just say well that's ok I'll take that offer. Rosenhaus wants to get the MAX deal because that makes HIM more money in agent fees. And he knows that when players emotions get involved they sometimes lose their nerve and just cave.

So when we say Quan rejected a deal, it's not only possible, it's quite likely, that Quan never saw the deal. The article I read said that more than once Rosenhaus has been burned by other agents who tell his clients that Drew rejected a deal they would have considered fair. Drew says this is a strategy agents use to steal his clients, tell them that he's holding you out and finally taking deals that have been on the table all along he just finally gave in after rejecting them before.Other agents want players to believe they can get comparable deals without the holdout so they won't hire Rosenhaus.

apparently one of the ways Moorad convinced Sean Taylor to fire Drew after the draft was by telling him that he would have been picked higher but the team that was going to pick him (presumably the Raiders since it wasn't us , and likely not the Giants or Chargers who both wanted QB's) chickened out because talks with Rosenhaus convinced them Taylor was going to be too hard to sign. He fired Rosenhaus, hired Moorad, signed, and now has fired Moorad and rehired Rosenhaus.

Who knows, if I were a player I'd want to know every offer made for me, but apparently some of DR's clients don't, they simply trust that he knows the market and will get the best value for them.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
One thing of note, I read a blurb on Rosenhaus and his brother on another site. One thing is Rosenhaus always tells his clients up front he needs almost TOTAL control of contract talks. The reason is Rosenhaus doesn't want to have a player feeling guilty just say well that's ok I'll take that offer. Rosenhaus wants to get the MAX deal because that makes HIM more money in agent fees. And he knows that when players emotions get involved they sometimes lose their nerve and just cave.

So when we say Quan rejected a deal, it's not only possible, it's quite likely, that Quan never saw the deal. The article I read said that more than once Rosenhaus has been burned by other agents who tell his clients that Drew rejected a deal they would have considered fair. Drew says this is a strategy agents use to steal his clients, tell them that he's holding you out and finally taking deals that have been on the table all along he just finally gave in after rejecting them before.Other agents want players to believe they can get comparable deals without the holdout so they won't hire Rosenhaus.

apparently one of the ways Moorad convinced Sean Taylor to fire Drew after the draft was by telling him that he would have been picked higher but the team that was going to pick him (presumably the Raiders since it wasn't us , and likely not the Giants or Chargers who both wanted QB's) chickened out because talks with Rosenhaus convinced them Taylor was going to be too hard to sign. He fired Rosenhaus, hired Moorad, signed, and now has fired Moorad and rehired Rosenhaus.

Who knows, if I were a player I'd want to know every offer made for me, but apparently some of DR's clients don't, they simply trust that he knows the market and will get the best value for them.

If that is the case, then that is EVEN DUMBER.. If I was a player I would want to know EVERY offer so I am the one making the decision. oh well....

ThunderCard

Reaction score
I think this should be around the time the Cards pick up As Hakim. I know he is not Boldin, but it will give us better depth at WR. If all the B.S continues I agree with the earlier poster and make him play out the final two years on his deal and DO NOT trade him. If he is as good or better then franchise him after the two years and either trade him away or get some type of compensation. We need everyone on board for training camp and mini camps and he is being a cancer right now.

If 40 million is not enough than the Cards should seriously think about walking.

What other Wr's are out there that can make a impact besides Az Hakim. Also what I hate about Hakim is is fumble problems, but for cheaper dough then oh well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
If that is the case, then that is EVEN DUMBER.. If I was a player I would want to know EVERY offer so I am the one making the decision. oh well....

Totally agree.

Anybody who thinks you can trust agents forgot the case in the USFL with Gary Anderson the illiterate kid from Arkansas. Anderson signed a deal with the USFL that was smaller than the NFL offer he had, the reason he signed is his agent told him the USFL deal was better. Since Anderson couldn't read, he trusted his agent and signed it. The agent was part of a group trying to get a USFL franchise so he figured by bringing in a big name guy away from the NFL, he would help his bid process, which is why he lied to Anderson.

I think he got brought up on criminal charges when the truth came out.

Not that Rosenhaus is doing that of course but the implication is other agents are telling players you don't HAVE to hold out to get the deals he's giving you, his holdouts are more about getting his name in the paper (to attract more players) than actually getting contracts faster. But unless you're aware of every offer you get, you just assume the holdout worked and increases the offer.

NOte, Taylor fired moorad so it may have been Moorad was lying to Taylor.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still don't get how a player could NOT know what is going on. I mean you would think they would want to be on the field as soon as possible so if their agents are just rejecting offers all the time then they should know.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
I still don't get how a player could NOT know what is going on. I mean you would think they would want to be on the field as soon as possible so if their agents are just rejecting offers all the time then they should know.

Oh we agree, if I were Anquan Boldin I'd sit in on every meeting and conference call. But apparently that's NOT how Rosenhaus works and he tells clients this upfront. His argument is I'll get you a better deal if you're not around, because I won't cave like you might. Other agents are telling players that's not the real reason he doesn't want you around, he doesn't want you to know the offers being made and rejected he wants you to think that your offer went from 25 to 35 million because he made you holdout.

Let's face if if I were an agent and I could guarantee a player I could get them just as much as Rosenhaus, with NO holdout, most players would choose me because holdouts hurt their reputations. Maybe some lazy guys who want to skip minicamp anyways would choose Drew, but not many.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan