OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Since you obviously think that RG was running this draft as it was his decision to trade down, why would you think he would draft Q if he was against it. Either he ran this draft or didn't. Make up your mind.

Lets just say he had to be persuaded to take Q. I think that most people know that Q was not the guy he wanted but he succumbed to the pressure of the coaching staff after botching the first round.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
Lets just say he had to be persuaded to take Q. I think that most people know that Q was not the guy he wanted but he succumbed to the pressure of the coaching staff after botching the first round.

Who'd he want?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
To put the blame on Mac for trading down was ridiculous. I know that he didn't want to draft Leftwich because he had to win the next year to save his job but he wanted Suggs. He was highly pissed when RG traded down and made the two infamous picks.

How do you "know" that Mac was pissed? To be quite honest I don't know who was responsible and just blame the whole organization. From scouts to ownership to GM to position coaches, everyone was to blame. I hated the trade then and still don't like it but if Bryant Johnson turns in to a good WR I will be able to live with it a little better.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
RG wasn't responsible for drafting Q, as a matter of fact RG was against drafting Q and had to be convinced by the coachig staff.

This years draft of Fitz, etc was DG not RG's.
How do you know this ? You want to blame Rod for everything you think was bad and yet give him no credit for what went well.

It's clear you have a massive bias again RG with no actual information, it's also clear that your mind is closed on this subject.

At ASFN we do have some information as Skkorp has tried to tell you but you decide that we know nothing, mostly as it contradicts your dislike of RG. Do we know the whole story, of course not but I do know Rod is not the bumbling fool you think he is.

The difference here is that some of us have had the pleasure of talking to Rod on an extended basis. You can chose to believe or disbelieve what Skkorp says but that won't change two facts.
  1. What Skkorp said is the truth
  2. The reason we have had extended conversations with Rod and other staff mermbers is that we don't blast everything they say over the web.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
Why can't you tell us who was responsible for the pick, it would give you more credibility if you told us who was responsible. Especially when people in the media contradict what you are saying.

Skkorps got all the credibility he needs around here, foolish newbie! Be lucky he even replied! I h :mad: nestly doubt he's losing sleep over knowing that you don't find him credible. He's had an access pass to countless practices, and mingles more with the Cards then YOU EVER WILL!!! If he promised someone that he wouldn't talk about this, then you should applaud him for being A MAN OF HIS WORD!!!! Those kinds of people are hard to come by.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
I know that he didn't want to draft Leftwich because he had to win the next year to save his job but he wanted Suggs.
How do you know this, like Skkorp on the draft, I have said a number of times here, that ASFN has a very good idea why the Cardinals didn't draft Leftwich.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Zeno said:
How do you "know" that Mac was pissed? To be quite honest I don't know who was responsible and just blame the whole organization. From scouts to ownership to GM to position coaches, everyone was to blame. I hated the trade then and still don't like it but if Bryant Johnson turns in to a good WR I will be able to live with it a little better.

Did you see the interview with Mac after the Cards made their selection in the first round? I did, he looked like he saw a ghost and the wind was taken out of his sales. He went into the draft thinking that he was going to get an impact player and came out with....

I don't think that RG did anything in his football career to merit being put in the position that he was with the Cards. By hiring DG and basically giving him free reign shows that others agree with me.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nidan said:
How do you know this, like Skkorp on the draft, I have said a number of times here, that ASFN has a very good idea why the Cardinals didn't draft Leftwich.

If you or ASFN have a very good idea why the Cards didn't draft Leftwich then why don't you tell us. Don't you think that alot of people would like to know?

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nidan said:
How do you know this ? You want to blame Rod for everything you think was bad and yet give him no credit for what went well.

It's clear you have a massive bias again RG with no actual information, it's also clear that your mind is closed on this subject.

At ASFN we do have some information as Skkorp has tried to tell you but you decide that we know nothing, mostly as it contradicts your dislike of RG. Do we know the whole story, of course not but I do know Rod is not the bumbling fool you think he is.

The difference here is that some of us have had the pleasure of talking to Rod on an extended basis. You can chose to believe or disbelieve what Skkorp says but that won't change two facts.
  1. What Skkorp said is the truth
  2. The reason we have had extended conversations with Rod and other staff mermbers is that we don't blast everything they say over the web.

All I'm saying is that if you have the facts you should report them, you don't have to divulge your source. Don't you think that if you know who was responsible for something and someone is unjustly taking a hit for it, you should report it. What is so bad about saying who was responsible for the draft?

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
" If you or ASFN have a very good idea why the Cards didn't draft Leftwich then why don't you tell us. Don't you think that alot of people would like to know?"

Get over it. He told you as much as he said he would. I respect the man for not saying what he knows. That is probably why he has the access he has.

Do you really think that Suggs would've had the kind of season he had w/Baltimore here with us? I don't think so. There defense was loaded w/talent and he was in a no lose situation. The same can't be said in Arizona.

Go Big Red
JD

C-MACK

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know what happened at the draft but I do know that Rod gave Brian Gilmore :rolleyes: a half million dollar signing bonus and contract extension midway through last season. That in itself casts a shadow of doubt over him.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
If you or ASFN have a very good idea why the Cards didn't draft Leftwich then why don't you tell us. Don't you think that alot of people would like to know?
Because I was specificly asked not to, so all I can do is give you a hint.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
All I'm saying is that if you have the facts you should report them, you don't have to divulge your source. Don't you think that if you know who was responsible for something and someone is unjustly taking a hit for it, you should report it. What is so bad about saying who was responsible for the draft?

RF,

Skkorp, et el, should report and share the facts. But only those that were on the record. As much as I would love to know it is important that confidences are kept.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C-MACK said:
I don't know what happened at the draft but I do know that Rod gave Brian Gilmore :rolleyes: a half million dollar signing bonus and contract extension midway through last season. That in itself casts a shadow of doubt over him.

Yeah but Gilmore dropped the check on his way out of the office so it's back in Graves' hands as we speak.

I will never understand what convinced us to extend Gilmore like that, I don't care if your OC is telling you how good the guy is, look at what he did on the field, nothing.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oran said:
Skkorps got all the credibility he needs around here, foolish newbie! Be lucky he even replied! I h :mad: nestly doubt he's losing sleep over knowing that you don't find him credible. He's had an access pass to countless practices, and mingles more with the Cards then YOU EVER WILL!!! If he promised someone that he wouldn't talk about this, then you should applaud him for being A MAN OF HIS WORD!!!! Those kinds of people are hard to come by.

I never said that Skkorps wasn't credible, I said that it would give him more credibility if he said what he knew rather than just telling me I'm wrong.

This web site provides more info on the Cards than any site I've seen. I'm not trying to PO Skkorps, I think he and the ASFN staff do a great job and I applaud them.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
Don't you think that if you know who was responsible for something and someone is unjustly taking a hit for it, you should report it. What is so bad about saying who was responsible for the draft?
We have been trying to tell you exactly that but you are not listening. Reread Skkorp's post.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nidan said:
Because I was specificly asked not to, so all I can do is give you a hint.

If you are implying that Mac didn't want to draft Leftwich I agree. If that's the case why not just say, Mac didn't want to go in that direction and RG didn't want Suggs.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
I never said that Skkorps wasn't credible, I said that it would give him more credibility if he said what he knew rather than just telling me I'm wrong.

This web site provides more info on the Cards than any site I've seen. I'm not trying to PO Skkorps, I think he and the ASFN staff do a great job and I applaud them.

I'm glad you like it here, but F.Y.I, if Skorrp isn't talking about something, there's a good reason, so leave it be.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Graves is the GM.He's responsible,plain and simple.That's the way it is.If he let Mac make the decision then Graves has to live with it.It sounds to me like Graves gives alot input to his HC's.Green is just better at talent evaluation than Mac.Name 1 good personnell move the Cards made prior to Green's arrival.You may find some good(average,at best) moves but the blunders far outnumber anything good.I've said for over a year that Graves needs to go.But if he stays in the background and let's Green do things his way then i would have no problem with him staying. Also,according to the report,the Cards were afraid of a holdout.If that's the case,it's even more stupid to trade down.The salaries are pretty much slotted and why would last years holdout be any different than the previous half dozen holdouts the Cards drated?

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Come ON!

What are you waiting for? Give "finger-of-fury" some time to think...instead of type.
:banned:

You know you want to...

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
I think we extended a bunch of guys last year because we HAD TO, or we'd need to write a check to the NFLPA because we didn't end up spending enough salary cap money, (because no players wanted to come here) remember?

I heard Jureki too. Sounded to me like the first reason to pass on Suggs, was because one of our scouts had him rated 3rd or 4th round, and that evaluation skewed the overall rating on him. Then there were the off field questions from the basketball tournament, and the prospect of a local hero holding out at #2 for reasons.

Then the 3rd reason was the high price of a high pick in general.

I personally think management knew we were going to have another high pick THIS year too, so combine all these FEARS ... and add in the "surprise" at the run on pass rushers, and there you have the eventual decision in a nutshell.

Water under the bridge.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vince56 said:
It was not Rod Graves. Don the thinking cap for a minute. If the Cards really want to move forward, would the person(s) who was responsible for the Suggs/Leftwich trade down disaster still be with the team?

Check the recent history. Since becoming GM of the Cards, Graves has gotten all the draft picks signed during the first week or so of training camp, he's changed how the Cardinals do contracts (incentives, escalators, etc.), and lured a BIG TIME head coach and real NFL staff here.

Not bad a year and a half.

My educated guess is the one who botched the 2003 draft was the same one who ran vanilla schemes, didn't prepare players, never changed audibles in 5 years, and used a playbook/strategy that couldn't win a game on Madden.

Who could that be? hmmm... :shrug:

Have you noticed the Cardinals decisions miraculously getting better since January? Yeah, me too. Look at this years draft. 4 starters, right out of the box. :thumbup:

Good post suddenly Mac is gone and things actually start happening positive. Macs past drafts were questionable, along with attitude, cemented depth charts and horrible play calling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Good post suddenly Mac is gone and things actually start happening positive. Macs past drafts were terrible, along with attitude, cemented deoth charts and horrible play calling.

I think the positives has more to do with DG than anything else. You can't blame Mac, RG was the one who was in charge. Why would you let a lame duck coach dictate your draft? That wouldn't be real smart would it?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does the phrase "for the last time" mean? Does it mean one post on the subject and the author is done posting on the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.