For the last time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never really wanted Suggs. Trufant was the guy I wanted the Cardinals to draft.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
Better yet, look at the Cards latest drafts and you'll see why they are struggling.

'96 Rice - gone
'97 Knight - gone
'98 Wadsworth - gone
'99 Boston - gone
'00 Jones - gone
'01 Davis - ???
'02 Bryant - soon to be gone
'03 Pace - soon to be gone

No one can be 100% on their drafts but when you annually are picking in the top 10 you have to hit a few.

What year do you want to start in?

You did a good enough job proving that tarding down for 2 1st rounders is smart. :)

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
You did a good enough job proving that tarding down for 2 1st rounders is smart. :)

No, it just shows how inept the Cardinal drafts have been the last 10 yrs. Like I said before, what year do you want to start with.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
No, it just shows how inept the Cardinal drafts have been the last 10 yrs. Like I said before, what year do you want to start with.

Dont have to start with a year name a stud top 10 guy and Ill name a non stud top 10 guy. So start. It wont last long.

Edit: to save time do like 10 at a time. And pick PROVEN studs.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's 10 for me

Leonard Davis - OT Texas
Gerard Warren - DT Florida
Michael Vick - QB Virginia Tech
Tim Couch - QB
Andre Carter - DE California
David Terrell - WR Michigan
Jamal Reynolds - DE Florida State
DE Penn State Courtney Brown
RB Virginia Thomas Jones
NT Florida State Corey Simon

None of these guys performed at a level for which they were paid. Top 10 should be pro bowl or a serious contributer.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Dont have to start with a year name a stud top 10 guy and Ill name a non stud top 10 guy. So start. It wont last long.

Edit: to save time do like 10 at a time. And pick PROVEN studs.

Start with the 96 draft, I think more made an impact than not.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Here's 10 for me

Leonard Davis - OT Texas
Gerard Warren - DT Florida
Michael Vick - QB Virginia Tech
Tim Couch - QB
Andre Carter - DE California
David Terrell - WR Michigan
Jamal Reynolds - DE Florida State
DE Penn State Courtney Brown
RB Virginia Thomas Jones
NT Florida State Corey Simon

None of these guys performed at a level for which they were paid. Top 10 should be pro bowl or a serious contributer.

Off the top of my head, I know that Davis and Vick have been to the Pro Bowl so you can take those two off of your list. I'll have to check on the others.

Funny thing though, most of these guys would be starters for the Cardinals, including Thomas Jones.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
Off the top of my head, I know that Davis and Vick have been to the Pro Bowl so you can take those two off of your list. I'll have to check on the others.

Funny thing though, most of these guys would be starters for the Cardinals, including Thomas Jones.

So if Vick and Davis never do another thing again they were worth breaking the bank? Maybe I should not have gone to so soon a draft. Ill cancel them out. Ill only go from 1999 down.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:

Davis to now is a huge disappointment, and although I blame Mac, Jones couldn't hold the starting job here.

Vick is a great player but he's played in 28 of a possible 48 games in his 3 years so I would assume that's the argument for being overpaid.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Davis to now is a huge disappointment, and although I blame Mac, Jones couldn't hold the starting job here.

Vick is a great player but he's played in 28 of a possible 48 games in his 3 years so I would assume that's the argument for being overpaid.

thx Russ thats what i was thinking. You have to remember. Top 5 is literally breaking the bank on one guy. He better be a hall of famer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
thx Russ thats what i was thinking. You have to remember. Top 5 is literally breaking the bank on one guy. He better be a hall of famer.

Well I wouldn't go that far because HOF is pretty special. You can't expect 5 guys each year from the draft to be HOF material.

But I would certainly agree that the guys on your list of 10 are virtually all highly overpaid based on what they've done so far.

Jones, Terrell, Davis are all guys who reportedly are on the verge of breakouts. Simon is a good player I think he should be off your list, 2 missed games in 4 years from a guy who was an injury question coming out of college.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Jones, Terrell, Davis are all guys who reportedly are on the verge of breakouts. Simon is a good player I think he should be off your list, 2 missed games in 4 years from a guy who was an injury question coming out of college.

Then you can look at it this way as well. If you get a top 10 guy, sign him to 4 years. His 4th year is his breakout year you just flushed a lot of money down the drain. Better to let other teams do the preparing and then sign them to big $ in free agency.

Still shows that trading a top 10 down for 2 first rounders is a much better option.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Then you can look at it this way as well. If you get a top 10 guy, sign him to 4 years. His 4th year is his breakout year you just flushed a lot of money down the drain. Better to let other teams do the preparing and then sign them to big $ in free agency.

Still shows that trading a top 10 down for 2 first rounders is a much better option.

No question Jones, Davis and Terrell were highly overpaid early in their career.
Jones couldn't hold off Pittman and Shipp, Terrell's foot kept him out a lot, and Davis started but just wasn't good enough to justify his salary.

There's no question you pay high draft picks too much early in exchange for hopefully keeping their rights later when they're really good.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
So if Vick and Davis never do another thing again they were worth breaking the bank? Maybe I should not have gone to so soon a draft. Ill cancel them out. Ill only go from 1999 down.

I'm just using your criteria, both guys have been to the Pro Bowl.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Maybe so, if you are a team that can attract the high profile players.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
Cheap shot. Has no relevance (or basis in fact) other than trashing the Cards :trout:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
I'm just using your criteria, both guys have been to the Pro Bowl.

Ill concede those 2 but you cant use them either. We will put them in the limbo category right now.

We will make it, at least 1 pro bowl and cosistantly contributed to the team in a positive way. Davis was garbage last year.

Im still waiting for your 10 lol. I have like 80 more to go just off the top of my head :thumbup:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Red Fury said:

he had about 30 chances to stay our starter and couldnt cut it so that would make this statement false.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nidan said:
Cheap shot. Has no relevance (or basis in fact) other than trashing the Cards :trout:

Not a cheap shot, just a statement of fact, it says where the Cards have been but not where they are going. I think that DG can get the job done as long as everyone stays out of his way and lets him go to work.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
he had about 30 chances to stay our starter and couldnt cut it so that would make this statement false.

That was then, he would be the starter with the RB's that the Cards have in camp now. Shipp is a better RB but he is out for the season.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I cant beleive I just went through this whole thread. That is 15 minutes I will never get back. ;)

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
Not a cheap shot, just a statement of fact, it says where the Cards have been but not where they are going. I think that DG can get the job done as long as everyone stays out of his way and lets him go to work.
Of course it was a cheap shot. You said

Red Fury said:
Where are there any facts in this. By definition (as non of these players are on our roster) you are stating your opinion. You are stating your opinion on a hyperthectical (and never to happen) situation. Speculation pure and simple.

The only fact is that Jones couldn't hang on the starters spot with the Cardinals, so you can hardley class him as a starter.

If want to believe that all these players would start for us fine, but that's your oipinion not a fact. In reality you said it in the first place for no other reason that to put an emphsis on how bad you think the Cardinals are.

Hence its a cheap shot with no basis in fact, but don't try to pass off your opinions as facts. Your opinions may or may not be correct but they are not facts.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Ill concede those 2 but you cant use them either. We will put them in the limbo category right now.

We will make it, at least 1 pro bowl and cosistantly contributed to the team in a positive way. Davis was garbage last year.

Im still waiting for your 10 lol. I have like 80 more to go just off the top of my head :thumbup:

Davis was lousy last year mainly because he was allowed to be lazy. Hopefully we'll see a different LD for years to come.

Now I'm not ready to give up on Carter or Simon either.

Status
Not open for further replies.