Fox Sports Team Report

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Offensive coordinator Keith Rowen made an immediate impression with players during minicamp with his enthusiasm and attention to detail. Much is riding on Rowen, who is in his first year as coordinator. The offensive staff was in disarray for much of last year, partly because coach Dennis Green fired his line coach and added two assistants during the season. Green is comfortable with Rowen, a former assistant of his in Minnesota. Rowen's background as an offensive line coach and in the running game should help. The Cardinals line needs to play much better than it did last year. . . .

Anquan Boldin's absence because of a contract dispute can't be underestimated. He's the team's best offensive player by a large margin, and the club doesn't have anyone who can match his production. Larry Fitzgerald has the ability but has yet to reach that level. Bryant Johnson is a solid third receiver but hasn't become a big-play threat. And there is no young receiver ready to emerge. . . .

Orlando Huff, signed as a free agent in the offseason, is playing outside linebacker on the weak side instead of middle linebacker, where he played in Seattle. Huff runs well, and the hope is that he's athletic enough to hold down that spot. The move is surprising, however, because he replaces James Darling, who played well there last year.

SCOUTING REPORT: FB Obafemi Ayanbadejo is not the prototype lead blocker, although he does an adequate job of it. But his versatility makes him a valuable player. Ayanbadejo has some running ability and he has excellent hands. That made him an increasingly important factor in the team's red zone offense last year. He scored four touchdowns, including three on the ground. With him in the game, teams can't just lock in on the tailback. They have to account for Ayanbadejo's running and receiving ability. He is also an excellent special teams player, recording 16 tackles last year.

MINICAMP MAYHEM: The offensive line must make great strides if it's going to adequately protect Kurt Warner. That group struggled at times in pass rush drills during the team's minicamp. The absence of left tackle Leonard Davis (knee) can't be blamed because his replacement, Jim Newton, was a pleasant surprise. . . .

WR Larry Fitzgerald had his way with CB Antrel Rolle, the team's first-round pick, in the first two days of camp. But Rolle seemed to adjust in the last practice and was better in coverage. . . .

WR LeRon McCoy, a seventh-round pick, dropped several passes over the three days. He had better show improvement if he wants to be the team's fourth receiver.

DEFENSIVE ENDS ANALYSIS: Grade: A. Right end Bertrand Berry proved to be one of the team's best free agent signings ever. New left end Chike Okeafor solidifies what should be an excellent front four.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
DEFENSIVE ENDS ANALYSIS: Grade: A. Right end Bertrand Berry proved to be one of the team's best free agent signings ever. New left end Chike Okeafor solidifies what should be an excellent front four.

How freaking sweet is that! when was the last time our DE's graded out as an "A"? It's nice to have a pass rush, isn't it? And when was the last time anyone said we have an excellent front four? Still a bit concerned with our run defense, but overall, our defensive line should be very good, and we'll deff. be able to get a lot of pressure on the QB. We have the makings of a top 10 defense. IF we can shut down the run, I think we will have a top 5 defense this year.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
yeah

1DirtySanchez said:
How freaking sweet is that! when was the last time our DE's graded out as an "A"? It's nice to have a pass rush, isn't it?

We don't need no stinkin' Simeon Rice:D

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
Totally_Red said:
We don't need no stinkin' Simeon Rice:D

Simeon rice can burn in hell. I didn't care for the guy after all the years of avoiding contatct with the RB, calling our team the "armpit of the NFL" and generally bad mouthing our organization. But when he came out with the negative Tillman remarks, I personally wanted to kill the guy.

Hey Simeon, who's team drafted first this year?

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
1DirtySanchez said:
Simeon rice can burn in hell. I didn't care for the guy after all the years of avoiding contatct with the RB, calling our team the "armpit of the NFL" and generally bad mouthing our organization. But when he came out with the negative Tillman remarks, I personally wanted to kill the guy.

I'm gathering that you're not fond of him? Tell us how you really feel.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1DirtySanchez said:

uh - not to defend Simoron - but don't you think that Super Bowl ring on his finger kind of validates him more than just last year's record?

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
uh - not to defend Simoron - but don't you think that Super Bowl ring on his finger kind of validates him more than just last year's record?

I'm not saying he isn't a great player, he is. And, he is certainly playing better in Tampa than he ever did in Arizona. He's actually learned to play the run somewhat in Tampa, which he never did while in Arizona. My dislike for him is as a person. A superbowl ring doesn't make him a better person. And, he was ONE PART of one of the best defenses in the leauge the year they won it all.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Simeon is a good player, but he had a bad attitude and went public with his issues with the Cardinals.

In the end, Simeon was partially right because the Cards were cheap and not committed to winning. On the other side, he could have handled his situation with more class.

Good luck to him because I think Berry is 10x better for the Cards organization.

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
1DirtySanchez said:
How freaking sweet is that! when was the last time our DE's graded out as an "A"? It's nice to have a pass rush, isn't it? And when was the last time anyone said we have an excellent front four? Still a bit concerned with our run defense, but overall, our defensive line should be very good, and we'll deff. be able to get a lot of pressure on the QB. We have the makings of a top 10 defense. IF we can shut down the run, I think we will have a top 5 defense this year.

Last week our Defensive Tackle's were rated a B, and the blurb stated that Dockett is a rising star in the league. It is nice to see our teams ranked at the top in many of the categories.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
Codeofhammurabi said:
Last week our Defensive Tackle's were rated a B, and the blurb stated that Dockett is a rising star in the league. It is nice to see our teams ranked at the top in many of the categories.

I agree with Dockett, he is most deff. a rising star and he played extremely well as a rookie. If he can continue to make progress and develope, i don't see why he can't be a pro-bowler in the near future.

I'm still concerned with Davis as a starter. He is average at best. Our Run defense hasn't really improved much since last season when we let a bunch of no names have 100 yard games. Who was the 4th string RB for Carolina that had over 100 yards? I don't even remember his name. The additions of Griffith/huff and Chike should help, but the best way to stop the run is with a big beefy DT, which we are still lacking. Regardless, we should have a a very nice defense that will be able to put serious heat on the quarter back.

cdex99

Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing that just two years ago our d-line was considered the weakest link on a very unstable chain. I love this defense and can't wait to see them in action this year. More sacks from Berry. Dockett's helmet flying off after a great play. Crushing hits from Adrian. Hayes and Dansby taking out the running backs. The best part, they'll be together for the next couple of years. They're going to be so devistating.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
1DirtySanchez said:
I agree with Dockett, he is most deff. a rising star and he played extremely well as a rookie. If he can continue to make progress and develope, i don't see why he can't be a pro-bowler in the near future.

I'm still concerned with Davis as a starter. He is average at best. Our Run defense hasn't really improved much since last season when we let a bunch of no names have 100 yard games. Who was the 4th string RB for Carolina that had over 100 yards? I don't even remember his name. The additions of Griffith/huff and Chike should help, but the best way to stop the run is with a big beefy DT, which we are still lacking. Regardless, we should have a a very nice defense that will be able to put serious heat on the quarter back.

It's not about our starters, Davis can be subbed out and we can put in Wendell or KK who can give it their all for a few downs. This will keep fresh bodies in there and keep the push on constantly. It's all about the depth brotha'.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
cdex99 said:
It's amazing that just two years ago our d-line was considered the weakest link on a very unstable chain. I love this defense and can't wait to see them in action this year. More sacks from Berry. Dockett's helmet flying off after a great play. Crushing hits from Adrian. Hayes and Dansby taking out the running backs. The best part, they'll be together for the next couple of years. They're going to be so devistating.

Don't forget about King and maybe even Griffith and Shazor. Shazor might have been a real steal. It'll be fun to see where he ends up.

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
Oran said:
Don't forget about King and maybe even Griffith and Shazor. Shazor might have been a real steal. It'll be fun to see where he ends up.

Shazor can't cover. THats his issue.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Rams4evah said:
Shazor can't cover. THats his issue.

Yep , he is just as good as Archuleta in Coverage and that isnt a good thing. :D

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I'd rather go small and disruptive on the DL with King and Dockett in the middle. Yeah, we may give up some YPC, but I think it puts our best players out on the field, and the penetration would be more disruptive and cause more big plays than we expect.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
I'd rather go small and disruptive on the DL with King and Dockett in the middle. Yeah, we may give up some YPC, but I think it puts our best players out on the field, and the penetration would be more disruptive and cause more big plays than we expect.

I like King, but other than in the pre-season of his first year... if seen nothing yet to justify this "love in" for the guy.

He's a vitual rookie and until proven differently will likely be a backup for Dockett.

I'll venture a gentleman's bet that Russell Davis will be starting tackle with Dockett game one and throughout the season.

If his play was a real issue for the team they probably would have made some effort to upgrade in the offseason given what they did to improve quality at other positions.

Some have ventured that Davis played "over his head" last season.

I'm more inclined to believe that he finally played in a system that best used his talents.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
MINICAMP MAYHEM: The offensive line must make great strides if it's going to adequately protect Kurt Warner. That group struggled at times in pass rush drills during the team's minicamp. The absence of left tackle Leonard Davis (knee) can't be blamed because his replacement, Jim Newton, was a pleasant surprise. . . .

Did this bother anybody?

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

As far as Shazor goes, he's a player, players make plays, and Green/Pendergast will find a way to best utilize his obvious strengths while hiding his shortcomings!! So he can't cover, that hasn't stopped Archuleta from making the pro Bowl, has it? Shazor is a steal, since we got him for what, a cheeseburger and a plane ticket?
GoCards!!! :thumbup: :newcards: :cheers:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
As far as Shazor goes, he's a player, players make plays, and Green/Pendergast will find a way to best utilize his obvious strengths while hiding his shortcomings!! So he can't cover, that hasn't stopped Archuleta from making the pro Bowl, has it? Shazor is a steal, since we got him for what, a cheeseburger and a plane ticket?
GoCards!!! :thumbup: :newcards: :cheers:

Archuleta made the Pro Bowl, what the hell happened there. I guess he was playing like Adrian Wilson.