Free agency thread 2022

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup this is how you take care of a franchise QB. Trade Kyler - there’s zero sense in any of this. AZ doesn’t deserve a talent like this
Apparently, Bengals believe Burrow is a franchise QB, and Cardinals don't see Kyler in the same way. and the sad thing is that I don't disagree with Cardinals.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Im starting to think Keim is just banking on Justin Murray to play RG.

Also if Keim didn't have a contract would he be more active? Everything seems to point towards just riding this year out and implement the plan for 2023.

Lets see if healthy Watt/Hopkins really does change everything. If not then pivot the following year. Thats how it looks.
Great thoughts, it does seem Keim now realize that he has to plan for the future, instead of throwing all the money in one year and dig more holes for himself, like what he did in the past two offseasons.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Apparently, Bengals believe Burrow is a franchise QB, and Cardinals don't see Kyler in the same way. and the sad thing is that I don't disagree with Cardinals.
Solution is very simple then. You trade him, and that very may be why no moves have been made… and this isn’t a Baker situation where there isn’t trade value.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Being logical isn't defending Keim. Not shouting "Why haven't we signed anyone yet!! Keim sucks" after a few days of FA isn't defending Keim.

In fact, I've barely mentioned his name.
75% of free agents don't approach the production from their past team, if I remember the number correctly.

That's why when Cardinals fans complain about GMs bringing in a free agent that don't work out, I don't tend to get too pissed off about it. It's just like the draft...a lot of projecting of how a player will do on your team.

There are still quite a few players out there that can fill out this team. I'm not worried yet, but I don't buy the cap excuses. Bidwill just isn't willing to spend like some owners will.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thoughts, it does seem Keim now realize that he has to plan for the future, instead of throwing all the money in one year and dig more holes for himself, like what he did in the past two offseasons.
I mentioned this a long time ago in a thread I title where’s the urgency.
I think he has resigned himself to the fact we can’t do enough this year to truly compete.
We went “ all in “ last year and that was a weak battle cry.

What will be the theme this year? “2022…we were pretty good in 2021”?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
75% of free agents don't approach the production from their past team, if I remember the number correctly.

That's why when Cardinals fans complain about GMs bringing in a free agent that don't work out, I don't tend to get too pissed off about it. It's just like the draft...a lot of projecting of how a player will do on your team.

There are still quite a few players out there that can fill out this team. I'm not worried yet, but I don't buy the cap excuses. Bidwill just isn't willing to spend like some owners will.

The Colts have the most cap space.

They have no QB, no LT, no RG, no starting WR outside Pittman, a hole at DT and CB.

And the only move they have made was the Ngakoue trade.

Ballard is considered one of the best GM's in the league.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This guy was a very good lb some seasons a go, he is 28
2.6 a year and we invested in two ilb in round 1

Was he good or was he just good in that scheme? That's the issue with FA's and why so many don't work out.

There are players that are just talented and can adapt and play in any system, but most players are scheme dependent. They play well being asked to be specific things. Like Littleton was at the Rams. Or De'Vondre Campbell or Rasul Douglas has at Green Bay. How Jordan Philips was for a season at the Bills and trash everywhere else.

Douglas is a prime example. Cut 4 times in the last year, couldn't make a 53 then thrived at GB. Did he suddenly get good or did he just find the right role?

That's one thing Keim/coaching hasn't been good at since BA left. The Keim time signings under BA worked because they suited how we played. We haven't been as good at that since.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was he good or was he just good in that scheme? That's the issue with FA's and why so many don't work out.

There are players that are just talented and can adapt and play in any system, but most players are scheme dependent. They play well being asked to be specific things. Like Littleton was at the Rams. Or De'Vondre Campbell or Rasul Douglas has at Green Bay. How Jordan Philips was for a season at the Bills and trash everywhere else.

Douglas is a prime example. Cut 4 times in the last year, couldn't make a 53 then thrived at GB. Did he suddenly get good or did he just find the right role?

That's one thing Keim/coaching hasn't been good at since BA left. The Keim time signings under BA worked because they suited how we played. We haven't been as good at that since.

Yeah what we know right now is almost every players use to underperform behind Vance Joseph schemes and this show our management credibility in terms of wanting really compete
They are paid like professionist but they act like an amateur
What a joke of organization

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah what we know right now is almost every players use to underperform behind Vance Joseph schemes and this show our management credibility in terms of wanting really compete
They are paid like professionist but they act like an amateur
What a joke of organization

Well yes, this is an issue too. When your scheme is complicated or unusual it doesn't help. It narrows the window.

On saying that, the defense has been well ranked vs DVOA the last 2 years with people questioning the talent we have on that side so Vance must be doing something right. And it was top draw through the first 10-12 games.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well yes, this is an issue too. When your scheme is complicated or unusual it doesn't help. It narrows the window.

On saying that, the defense has been well ranked vs DVOA the last 2 years with people questioning the talent we have on that side so Vance must be doing something right. And it was top draw through the first 10-12 games.
Except it's not a 10-12 game season. Like someone else today said, all the "but through the first 10 games" posts are just so much fluff, especially compared with the last 5-7 games. You (not you specifically, @BritCard) can't base anything moving forward on "just" the first part of last season. It doesn't hold water.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except it's not a 10-12 game season. Like someone else today said, all the "but through the first 10 games" posts are just so much fluff, especially compared with the last 5-7 games. You (not you specifically, @BritCard) can't base anything moving forward on "just" the first part of last season. It doesn't hold water.

I'm not. Over the whole season I believe they were 6th in DVOA this past year. 9th the year before. So it's not like they are ghastly. There's someone here that has Football Outsiders access, I think it's @kerouac9, so they might be able to correct this.

There are aspects that need to improve but it's not like the D is trash.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not. Over the whole season I believe they were 6th in DVOA this past year. 9th the year before. So it's not like they are ghastly. There's someone here that has Football Outsiders access, I think it's @kerouac9, so they might be able to correct this.

There are aspects that need to improve but it's not like the D is trash.
The run D WAS trash, and it isn't improving as of yet. The pass rush failed down the stretch, and it's about to be significantly worse, even if Chan was on a downswing. We're going to get a lot less "bend but don't break," which is bad enough as it is a horrific defensive scheme, and we're going to get a lot more "bend AND break" next season. The only way we avoid this is through spectacular hits in FA or a major trade, AND VJ suddenly changing his scheme, AND our ILBers really stepping up, AND...yeah, it's not pleasant to think on.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There’s plenty of humor available that doesn’t come at the expense of someone else.
What people fail to distinguish is humor about what someone does, not who they are. Its simple really. Theres plenty of source material out there to avoid making jokes about someones accent.