Free agency thread 2022

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's obvious with the Cardinals are doing. They are waiting to bargain shop after the first wave of free agents. Very soon the Cardinals are going to have a ton of cap space.

I have no problem with this strategy. A whole bunch of teams are doing the same thing.

I only wish that when they shop for deals they don't always sign them to one year prove it deals. I know you can often get them for a little less this year but it's not much use if you have to replace them next year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I have no problem with this strategy. A whole bunch of teams are doing the same thing.

I only wish that when they shop for deals they don't always sign them to one year prove it deals. I know you can often get them for a little less this year but it's not much use if you have to replace them next year.
I have a huge problem with this strategy. It's going to leave us with either gaping holes at important positions or subpar talent starting at those position. Not to mention the depth problems. Feels very much like the Dollar Bill era, sadly.

Reactions: PJ1
Reaction score
Yes, stupid Keim. He creates situations where he has to plug holes and puts us in position to have that "dead money down the road" by his awful drafting. So, yes, you're accurate: "Stupid Keim."
Then which way do you want it because you can't have it both ways? You can't bitch about him not signing a player showing an example of a contract that's pushing dead money down the road & also complain about the dead money down the road because of said contract. You just can't have it both ways.

Stout

Reaction score
Then which way do you want it because you can't have it both ways? You can't bitch about him not signing a player showing an example of a contract that's pushing dead money down the road & also complain about the dead money down the road because of said contract. You just can't have it both ways.
LOL why not? You're literally trying (failing) to argue that Keim bears no responsibility for his failures. Add on that you're attributing to me statements I haven't really made (I've been all over the board bitching about dead money?), although the problems he's created for the team with dead money are absolutely valid.

So, which way would you like it? Is it his problems drafting that creates holes that have to be filled through FA and contracts that hurt us on the back end, or is he somehow blameless in the quagmire that is our current roster/cap situation?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I have a huge problem with this strategy. It's going to leave us with either gaping holes at important positions or subpar talent starting at those position. Not to mention the depth problems. Feels very much like the Dollar Bill era, sadly.
See this is why I don't in a vacuum:

The cost of free agents is significantly more expensive AND the hit rate is about the same as the draft...if not lower.

This is why I wanted to move on from Keim though. I think he's actually pretty good at projecting NFL talent, but his draft record is pretty bleh. That means Keim will be stuck chasing free agents, and because the Cardinals are pretty conservative on spending, the team is going to go through consistent painful rebuilding periods.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Lots of teams playing it the same way, including those that are considered to have some of the best GM's in the league. Colts and Pats.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dollar Bill was totally different. He was just cheap and kept his purse strings tightly closed. The Cards spend money now under Michael. Maybe they are a little too loose on what they spend their money on now?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dollar Bill was totally different. He was just cheap and kept his purse strings tightly closed. The Cards spend money now under Michael. Maybe they are a little too loose on what they spend their money on now?
They spend more but they still don't go all out. Before FA the Cardinals potentially could have freed up $80 million in cap space.

Where the Cardinals are different under Michael is that they aren't in the business of starting UDFAs. The overall quality of the rosters have improved dramatically from top to bottom. Even the dreadful 2018 squad wasn't as talent poor as the early 00's Cardinals teams that were routinely starting UDFAs at multiple positions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is an oxymoron.

His draft record isn’t “pretty bleh”, it’s pretty atrocious. That’s not being good at projecting NFL talent.
You must not understand what I'm saying.

There is a difference in projecting pro talent and college talent. Keim isn't bad at the pro talent side.

Stout

Reaction score
Lots of teams playing it the same way, including those that are considered to have some of the best GM's in the league. Colts and Pats.
Colts are so far away from competing that they're in a re-build and so it is understandable. The Pats will probably turn a few miracles because Bellicheck. Whereas we have...please, I don't want to remember what we have.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They spend more but they still don't go all out. Before FA the Cardinals potentially could have freed up $80 million in cap space.

Where the Cardinals are different under Michael is that they aren't in the business of starting UDFAs. The overall quality of the rosters have improved dramatically from top to bottom. Even the dreadful 2018 squad wasn't as talent poor as the early 00's Cardinals teams that were routinely starting UDFAs at multiple positions.
I agree in a way. I remember the days when the Cardinals would easily have 3-5 UDFA make the team every year. Now drafted players are not even a lock to make the team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See this is why I don't in a vacuum:

The cost of free agents is significantly more expensive AND the hit rate is about the same as the draft...if not lower.

This is why I wanted to move on from Keim though. I think he's actually pretty good at projecting NFL talent, but his draft record is pretty bleh. That means Keim will be stuck chasing free agents, and because the Cardinals are pretty conservative on spending, the team is going to go through consistent painful rebuilding periods.

The prevailing sentiment on this board for years have been we need to play and develop our draft picks more and sign pricey FA's less.

We have some good young players that I am interested to see develop. I think Collins, Wilson and Moore are going to be good players. Simmons can be good if we use him right. We have added Gladney who was a 1st round pick in 2020 who has a bunch of potential. Josh Jones has the potential to improve. Eno looked like he had some potential in spells last year.

We are short of young talent on the D line and O line and would like to see Keim draft there. Especially Edge and Interior O line.

The Gladney signing possibly indicates a change in strategy from Keim to develop young talent rather than sign over priced 30 year olds.

We do need to do some FA work simply because we have more holes than draft picks but I'm fine with not spending tonnes in FA.

The Ram's have shown this works by generally not doing much in FA and building their roster through trades and the draft. The Ram's as far as I can see have no signed a free agent from another team in the off season since Eric Weddle and Clay Matthews in 2019.

In 2018 they only signed Suh.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Colts are so far away from competing that they're in a re-build and so it is understandable. The Pats will probably turn a few miracles because Bellicheck. Whereas we have...please, I don't want to remember what we have.

The Colts have the most cap space in the league. If they are "so far away" surely that's all the incentive to splash the cash?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
From someone who knows things! Hey - this team is in a terrible position, and it's all self created!

Most important point, which some here don't seem to get...

"The Cardinals are unquestionably worse than they were at the end of the season, and that iteration of the team wasn’t a contender, anyway."

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05