Gambo says JJ is in the mix for McGrady

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Except that Kobe and Shaq couldn't get along.

And Kobe and Shaq won 3 rings. I think the Suns would be happy with a good chance at just one before Colangelo completely steps down.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
(Marion and Eisley for Artest, Harrington, and Croshere? Just a thought.)

I don't think many people would do Marion for Artest, much less that kind of deal.

Which side are you saying wouldn't do it? I'm just not sure what you mean.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And Kobe and Shaq won 3 rings.

Only when they had a much better supporting cast.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Who were the other players before TMac to score 60+ in a game?

Delk scored 53. Does that make him close to a superstar? 53 isn't that much less than 60.
...no, but Delk didn't exactly lead the NBA in scoring.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
elindholm said:
If the deal included Howard for Eisley I would feel better about it. Without that, though, the Suns have basically two quality players and a huge number of question marks.

This might be one of the things that they are talking about now. I think the Magic would do it since Eisley's contract is much shorter than Howard's and the Magic are rebuilding.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I don't want McGrady at this price. The team is just too decimated if they have to give up three quality players (Marion, Johnson, #7) for one. That's a huge price for a borderline superstar with a questionable attitude.

Iverson has won some scoring titles and even an MVP award. Does anyone think we should give up that much for him? Of course not. McGrady is better than Iverson, but there's more to the game than putting up big numbers on the offensive end.

If the Suns have their heart set on trading Marion (and I think they might), there has to be a better deal out there. They can use their cap room to take on a bad contract along with one or two really good players. I'd rather have Artest on this team than McGrady, for instance. (Marion and Eisley for Artest, Harrington, and Croshere? Just a thought.)

man, i want some THAT crack!

mcgrady a "borderline" star? are you kidding me? at the beginning of the season he was considered one of the top 5 players in the league. he may still be considered that. and he's only 25!

and marion and our anchor of an eisley contract for artest and harrington and croshere? no way in hell do the pacers even consider that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Agreed. If getting Tmac is the only thing that we were going to do this offseason we would once again be stuck in neutral, but he's not. For some reason people keep looking at the potential of JJ (which I agree has tons of), the problem though is he hasn't shown consistency on the floor yet.

I think trading a good player, a potentially good player, and a draft pick in a year that the prospects aren't considered all that great is worth a superstar to me.

Oh and as far as far as Tmac's back injury goes, when he comes to town we'll have him see Randy Johnson's trainer/chiropractor. Remember people said he would never be the same due to his back and they were very WRONG! I know its a different sport but the point is still valid

RIGHT THERE WITH YA MAN!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
and marion and our anchor of an eisley contract for artest and harrington and croshere? no way in hell do the pacers even consider that.

Really? Bird is pissed at Artest. Harrington says he wants out. Croshere's contract is much worse than Eisley's. And the Pacers lacked a solid secondary scorer in the playoffs.

I think Indiana would take that offer pretty seriously.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gone back and forth on this in my mind - but here's my final statement - Make the deal - Marion is not an impact player, JJ has good potential - not great because I think he lacks a killer instinct and needs to be coddled somewhat - something that always scares me - especially if we're talking about him being the second main man on the club and the #7 pick in a relatively weak class? If we didn't have all the cap room in the world, I'd say no way to this deal, but McGrady and Amare - both babies as far as development - I mean neither one is even in their prime yet - plus additions from a buttload of cap space - along with Zarko - who I think will be a very good player and Voskhul as the dirty work guy off the bench would be set for years to come.

Make the deal.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
elindholm said:
And Kobe and Shaq won 3 rings.

Only when they had a much better supporting cast.

Who did they have in those years?

Derek Fisher ,Rick Fox and Devean George or Horace Grant?!?!?!?!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I guess you've forgotten about Horry, who was still able to make shots back then. And Fox was a much better player a few years ago also.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
elindholm said:

I guess you've forgotten about Horry, who was still able to make shots back then. And Fox was a much better player a few years ago also.

It is not like those are guys the Suns couldn't get with their caproom...

In fact the Suns might have some of those guys already. We still have Barbosa, Lampe, Zarko and Vujanic. One of them is probably going to be a very good role player at least.

And TMac is 5 years away from his prime. He might very well be better in the future than Kobe during the 3-peat.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I've gone back and forth on this in my mind - but here's my final statement - Make the deal - Marion is not an impact player, JJ has good potential - not great because I think he lacks a killer instinct and needs to be coddled somewhat - something that always scares me - especially if we're talking about him being the second main man on the club and the #7 pick in a relatively weak class? If we didn't have all the cap room in the world, I'd say no way to this deal, but McGrady and Amare - both babies as far as development - I mean neither one is even in their prime yet - plus additions from a buttload of cap space - along with Zarko - who I think will be a very good player and Voskhul as the dirty work guy off the bench would be set for years to come.

Make the deal.

JJ is younger than T-Mac and still can develop that killer instinct and is a much much better defensive player. Not only that but Aldridge just reported that the Magic want Amare and Marion... thats too steep...

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
B-Dogg said:
JJ is younger than T-Mac and still can develop that killer instinct and is a much much better defensive player. Not only that but Aldridge just reported that the Magic want Amare and Marion... thats too steep...

They want Amare and Marion. :biglaugh:

Keep dreaming Magic....... :)

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
B-Dogg said:

either Aldridge is out of the loop or that's an old report. I guarantee that the Phoenix Suns made it very clear from the start that they absolutely would not trade Amare Stoudemire.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does Orlando seriously think they are in this kind of godlike position? Technically, any team they trade with is doing them a favor.

Cog

Reaction score
Hey, eric, how do you build a house? Foundation first, right? Big time players are the foundation. You choose complementary players around the foundation, not other way around. I don't know why I am getting into this. Oh, well... :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And TMac is 5 years away from his prime.

Come on, slinslin. As soon as any player reaches his late 20s, you want to dump him for a teenager with "potential." I'm a little surprised you don't already think McGrady is too old.

With his back issues, he will not peak at 30. My guess is that he will peak in only a year or two, if he hasn't already. Vince Carter (a similar case, although not with his back) is already on the downside of his career.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
B-Dogg said:

you don't develop the killer instinct. by the time you reach the nba you either have it or you don't. jj will never be a top flight star. a nice complimentary player? yes. a once or twice all-star? maybe yes. but he ain't never reaching the level that mcgrady is at. it starts with confidence and jj still looks feable in that regard. so it's the ultimate complimentary player (marion), another very good complimentary player (jj), and a draft pick that could be exciting, but how exciting are devin harris, childress, beidrins, and pavel really? i'm not stoked about any of 'em. the 7th pick this year just doesn't equate to past 7th picks (and i'm just assuming here 'cuz i haven't gone and done my homework). i'd be a bit stoked about livingston or ben gordon, but i don't think we have a shot at 'em. so it's that package for a superstar. a necessary double team every time down the court. i do it.

MAKE THE DEAL.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
At the risk of quoting espn boards sources...

This comes straight from an Associated Press store with Magic officials indicating they are not going to rush into anything.

I do not have a link but I work for a newspaper that has access to the AP wire and this is legit. No trade before the draft per the Magic.

Indication of the #7 possibly involved as a hold up in the trade talks between Phoenix and Orlando?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
slinslin said:
At the risk of quoting espn boards sources...

Indication of the #7 possibly involved as a hold up in the trade talks between Phoenix and Orlando?

Maybe the Magic will accept the #7 as part of a deal only if a certain player is available.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
you don't develop the killer instinct. by the time you reach the nba you either have it or you don't. jj will never be a top flight star. a nice complimentary player? yes. a once or twice all-star? maybe yes. but he ain't never reaching the level that mcgrady is at. it starts with confidence and jj still looks feable in that regard. so it's the ultimate complimentary player (marion), another very good complimentary player (jj), and a draft pick that could be exciting, but how exciting are devin harris, childress, beidrins, and pavel really? i'm not stoked about any of 'em. the 7th pick this year just doesn't equate to past 7th picks (and i'm just assuming here 'cuz i haven't gone and done my homework). i'd be a bit stoked about livingston or ben gordon, but i don't think we have a shot at 'em. so it's that package for a superstar. a necessary double team every time down the court. i do it.

MAKE THE DEAL.

well, it certainly seems like JJ improved that killer instinct after the trade last season. And frankly one of the knocks on Tracy McGrady has always been that he doesn't have that killer instinct like someone like Kobe Bryant or seemingly Amare Stoudemire have.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Look at JJ's monthly breakdown in his statistics.

He had a a great january and february. When Amare was back in the lineup JJ's production decreased a lot as did his shooting.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Look at JJ's monthly breakdown in his statistics.

He had a a great january and february. When Amare was back in the lineup JJ's production decreased a lot as did his shooting.

And you think that if Orlando had another star on their team with Amare's ability his stats wouldnt have declined.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake