Game 5 Lakers at Suns

jibikao

Reaction score
Laker is at its best when using Lamar as the main weapon. He can pass, shoot and post up. His size wears our big guys down (Marion mainly). I am glad Kobe hasn't figured it out.

Somebody brought it up the best. As the series gets closer and closer, Kobe will feel less comfortable giving the ball to his teammates. Little did he know, it's his teammates that are playing ABOVE season average.

Oh well, we got game 5. I don't care about the rest. I am sure we'll see some BS in game 6 at Laker's home court. Later guys.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched a little of the game here and there just enough to make sure we kept that lead. Great effort by the Suns!

I did happen to catch the Raja foul. It wasn't the initial reach and wrap up of Kobe, it was the extra effort to help her to the floor. I'll be bummed if he is suspended, especially after the stuff L.A. has gotten away with, but I loved watching every bit of it! It's about time one of the Suns showed some fire.

L.A. brought this type of play, it was about time the Suns start playing their game.
:rockon:
Go Suns!!!!!!

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Laker is at its best when using Lamar as the main weapon. He can pass, shoot and post up. His size wears our big guys down (Marion mainly). I am glad Kobe hasn't figured it out.

Somebody brought it up the best. As the series gets closer and closer, Kobe will feel less comfortable giving the ball to his teammates. Little did he know, it's his teammates that are playing ABOVE season average.

Oh well, we got game 5. I don't care about the rest. I am sure we'll see some BS in game 6 at Laker's home court. Later guys.

I am very happy with D'antoni's decision to throw double teams at Lamar to throw him out of his comfort level. Sure it's resulted in a few easy buckets for the Lakers but all in all I believe it's saving Marion a lot of wear and tear and it's part of the reason for Marion's semi-resurgence.

I don't know if we can keep doing this, as Phil is sure to counter that strategy but it's paid off so far.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Those doubles on Odom were brilliant, Shawn was terrific at being exactly where he was supposed to be and Thomas and James Jones did a great job of closing off the baseline--Odom didn't know what to do with the ball a lot of the time.

mribnik

Reaction score
Who else is a big fan of James Jones? I hope we hold on to this guy. His shot has been inconsistent at times, but he battles all game.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
They'd been doing the same doubles in each of the past couple of games. The difference is that tonight, J.R. and Diaw did a better job getting there before Odom made his move.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mribnik said:
Who else is a big fan of James Jones? I hope we hold on to this guy. His shot has been inconsistent at times, but he battles all game.

I was mad at those turnovers he had...but he did play good defense and made a few shots...good hustle by him.

jibikao

Reaction score
KloD said:
I watched a little of the game here and there just enough to make sure we kept that lead. Great effort by the Suns!

I did happen to catch the Raja foul. It wasn't the initial reach and wrap up of Kobe, it was the extra effort to help her to the floor. I'll be bummed if he is suspended, especially after the stuff L.A. has gotten away with, but I loved watching every bit of it! It's about time one of the Suns showed some fire.

L.A. brought this type of play, it was about time the Suns start playing their game.
:rockon:
Go Suns!!!!!!

Exactly. I hate that Brown starring down at Diaw the most. If I were Diaw, I would punch him. That's extremely rude.

jibikao

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed from the boxscore. Coach D used Skita and Burke before using Grant. Something happened to Grant or he is just too old?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jibikao said:
One thing I've noticed from the boxscore. Coach D used Skita and Burke before using Grant. Something happened to Grant or he is just too old?

I thought I saw him in street clothes earlier in the game.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Those doubles on Odom were brilliant, Shawn was terrific at being exactly where he was supposed to be and Thomas and James Jones did a great job of closing off the baseline--Odom didn't know what to do with the ball a lot of the time.

There was only one time where that double didn't come, and Lamar had an easy dunk.

I think the right play is to keep him guessing. Double sometimes, play him straight up at others and keep him from reading it too easily because his main problem is that he's holding the ball a touch too long and letting the suns rotate effectively. If he starts passing out right away it'll be a constant rain of open 3 pointers which wouldn't sit well with me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Suns_fan69 said:
There was only one time where that double didn't come, and Lamar had an easy dunk.

I think the right play is to keep him guessing. Double sometimes, play him straight up at others and keep him from reading it too easily because his main problem is that he's holding the ball a touch too long and letting the suns rotate effectively. If he starts passing out right away it'll be a constant rain of open 3 pointers which wouldn't sit well with me.

If we do single coverage out in 3-point range, then I have no problem giving them to him--he's rebounding like a monster in this series, and he can't get the ball 22 feet away.

mribnik

Reaction score
We obviously didn't need him as much today, but Tim Thomas only played 18 minutes. I could see him limp a couple of times during the game. Hopefully he'll be fine for game 6.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'll tell you what though, I've been really impressed with Lamar's defense. I always knew he's an above average defender but his length and quickness have resulted in a lot of deflections, blocks and altered shots. I almost want Shawn to stay out on the perimeter to make it easier for Nash and Boris to get their shots off down low.

jibikao

Reaction score
Suns_fan69 said:
I'll tell you what though, I've been really impressed with Lamar's defense. I always knew he's an above average defender but his length and quickness have resulted in a lot of deflections, blocks and altered shots. I almost want Shawn to stay out on the perimeter to make it easier for Nash and Boris to get their shots off down low.

I agree. Lamar has blocked Barbosa and really changed Marion's shots a few times. He got quite a few "key" blocks during clutch time.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns_fan69 said:

Yeah, I've never seen Marion miss so many close to the basket shots before...Odom makes him change his shot, or blocks it on a regular basis.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is that Shawn isn't really that used to having someone contest his shot at his peak. Face it, most of his points around the rim are alleyoops (which he's been blowing a lot more of as well) or fairly easy layups/dunks resulting off smart cuts and creative passing by Nash. This is the first time I can think of where someone has routinely challenged him at the rim and he hasn't been able to find the net as a result.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05