Game Thoughts: Cardinals 21 Rams 13

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Plenty O' Positives:

1. Warner and the offense have been dominating the first halfs of the away games and this was another clinic in the first half, even overcoming Wells' fumble of the sweep toss that thwarted the first drive. And despite Leinart's struggles, and the fact that the offense with him at QB scored 0 points, he gets the save. That is a positive.

2. The combo of Hightower and Wells continues to impress. Hightower's career long 50 yard run sparked the first TD drive, and Wells' nice smashmouth running, especially on his TD was excellent. For a while there they seemed to be gaining ten yards per clip.

3. Fitz and Q had very good games and each had nice TDs.

4. Early Doucet made the big catch late, and he threw some nice blocks on some of the wide runs. Ben Patrick had a very nice open field catch.

5. Save Brown's early whiff on Little, the o-line played good, physical football. How about Brown's and Lutui's down blocks on Wells' TD? Wow.

6. The defense did a much better job versus the run, save the one long Jackson gallop. Hayes was huge...and was plugging today! How about the play where he stood up Jackson short of the first down, and then the play Dansby made stuffing him on 4th down. Dansby was good today. Campbell and Iwebema were solid throughout. Will Davis gave the team a good sack and several good tackles.

7. DRC, despite playing in a tuxedo, which he really needs to change, took Donnie Avery out of the game...period. That was bigger than most realize. Avery is the Rams' best WR and has been playing very well. Antrel Rolle had a nice sack and was not as much of a factor in forcing the run today because the front seven did their jobs. Adrian Wilson was used much more wisely and productively today...and he had a great pick and some real good hits on Jackson to show for it. But, the real surprise was Michael Adams (filling in for an injured BMF, getting the nod over R. Brown), who battled tooth and nail out there. Yes, he had the one hold on a key 4th down, but it's good he was playing super aggressive...that's how you play to win. He made a great force tackle on a screen to his side...he also sprinted across the field to catch Jackson on his long run...the fact that he caught up to Jackson from that distance was extraordinary...Adams looks like the best tackling CB on the squad. And, best of all, he worked his hand into the fade to Gibson just enough to get a slight piece of it. That was huge. Plus he saved a potential KO return TD in the first half.

8. Ben Graham is extraordinary in all aspects of his craft...Rackers too....and man, LSH gets to the football on STs, especially on those pooch punts.

9. Wow. 5-0 on the road. What an accomplishment.

10. The penalties were few. Pretty clean game. Good flow to this game.

The Not So Positives:

1. What looked strange about Leinart was how zoned out he looked in the face going into the game and all throughout the second half especially as he was standing in the huddle (was he emulating DRC?...boy at times you wonder if the lights are on, don't you?). His decision to throw a shuffle pass under pressure for his first throw in that situation was absurd...and he really got away with that one. Clearly, the coaches do not have the confidence in Leinart, which was clear in how much they dumbed down the play calling. But, the coaches should be scrutinized for rolling Leinart on bootlegs to the right and not to his left. For the element of surprise, do you suppose? Listen, the Rams did nothing all week to prepare for Matt Leinart. Nor did they do anything to prepare for bootlegs. Bootlegs would have worked to either side. But Leinart clearly looked awkward rolling to his right, and he did not make crisp reads or throws that way.

2. Becht's fumble in that situation: inexcusable. He's been good this year, but as a veteran he knows better.

3. The Rackers on-side kick. Not so much that it didn't work, but the timing of it having all the momentum in the game at 14-3 was not good at all.

4. DRC's lack of effort in tackling.

5. Bertrand Berry and Ralph Brown. Been saying it since TC and nothing's changed.

6. Clark Haggans has been having a good year...but he does some crazy stuff out there. On plays where Jackson was able to bounce outside for bigger gains (once even in a 3rd and 20), Haggans crashed down the line of scrimmage and dove into a teammates back and left his whole side open with no one on the edge or no one to contain. Okeafor does this too at times. Are they being coached to do this?

7. Dan Kreider...two poor, unnecessary penalties.

What might have been interesting---and I think we are all glad it didn't have to happen---was whether Warner would have returned to the game had the Rams tied it up. The fact that he was still dressed suggests that may have been an option. One has to wonder whether Whiz is trying to do all he can to get Leinart meaningful snaps, as he has in other games. What these performances from Leinart are doing, however, is creating less and less confidence within himself and less confidence in him from the coaches and team. There's nothing sharp about his game, and this is now his 4th year. He does not have the hungry look one would expect. Whiz needs to do something about this. The offense bears not even an inkling of a semblance of what it is with Warner when Leinart is in there.

Last edited:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All good points.

I mentioned this in another post, did you catch Leinart giveing a ram player a small hug and laughing along with him just after they had inserted him into the game and there was a break in the action? He seemed like a frat boy playing a pick up game with his mind on the kegger afterwards. Honestly.

Dude is thinking about making movies. Not leading a football team through the battle of an nfl season.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch. Agreed on Haggans as he had a horrible game. Adams can tackle but thought our pass D really suffered after McFadden went out. Don't like Kreider but thought the holding call on him was crap. DRC drives you crazy but what a talent. He looked like Deion on that one tackle attempt or lack of an attempt.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good points.

I mentioned this in another post, did you catch Leinart giveing a ram player a small hug and laughing along with him just after they had inserted him into the game and there was a break in the action? He seemed like a frat boy playing a pick up game with his mind on the kegger afterwards. Honestly.

Dude is thinking about making movies. Not leading a football team through the battle of an nfl season.

It's amazing how you and mitch can watch the same game on TV that I watched and know exactly what's going through a player's mind. How do you do it? And, why are you wasting that talent on a goofy Cardinals message board? :p

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Good summary Mitch. As many know, I continue to be the pilot of the Matt is a BUST bandwagon. But, as I've said all season long, I'm gonna ease up on him until he actually has a camp where he's the starter. We'll see what he does then. However, until that time arrives, Matty has done nothing to change my opinion of him. BUST... period.

Adams is a gutty little player. Very nice backup. DRC is infuriatng to watch. He just won't tackle. Pathetic.
Haggans has indeed played great all year, but today he screwed up on several occasions.
Graham should be starting in Hawaii in February! Wow!!!

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's amazing how you and mitch can watch the same game on TV that I watched and know exactly what's going through a player's mind. How do you do it? And, why are you wasting that talent on a goofy Cardinals message board? :p

can't speak for mitch, but for me, it's just that i'm a charitable soul. appreciate your recognition, though. you always struck me as a decently smart guy. thanks cowboy. :D

Cards232

Registered
Reaction score
Warner now has a 135.2 qb rating over the last 3 games. Things are starting to click for he & his receivers. The addition of the run game is going to make things very interesting for defenses for the rest of the year. I would love to have a re-do w/ the Colts now. I think Whis is starting to settle into a groove w/ the play calling as well.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good summary Mitch. As many know, I continue to be the pilot of the Matt is a BUST bandwagon. But, as I've said all season long, I'm gonna ease up on him until he actually has a camp where he's the starter. We'll see what he does then. However, until that time arrives, Matty has done nothing to change my opinion of him. BUST... period.

You do realize that Matt just had an ENTIRE camp as a starter just last season right? He followed that up by promptly going out and throwing 4 Int's in one half agaisnt a terrible Raiders team and lost the job. That was the most important audition of his professional career and he blew it! So I dont get the "I'm gonna ease up on him until he actually has a camp where he's the starter." comment?

Then this season he has had two occasion to come in as a back-up during blow outs. Both times we had to put Warner back in because he blew so bad. Then he goes in because of injury and has a whole halftime to warm up and get mentally prepared and he still was pretty bad.

A player that has been coached up by Warner and has had three season in the exact same system should at some point in his 3 opportunities this year at least look serviceable!

Dude just doesn't have it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Adams does play with effort but the talent is not there, Bulger didn't hesistate to throw his way time and again, they rarely even looked at DRC's man. Its to be expected as he is a back up but it does show a glaring weakness, depth in the secondary, Brown & Adams both were below average in coverage. I'm not questioning his desire to throw himself in to tackles but he just doesn't match up well with most WRs.

I absolutely agree with Mitch on the Leinart bootlegs, made NO sense to me. He kept having to stop reset his body and throw, had he gone to his left it would have been more crisp I imagine..caoches should know better.

Kreider is a waste of a roster spot.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You do realize that Matt just had an ENTIRE camp as a starter just last season right? He followed that up by promptly going out and throwing 4 Int's in one half agaisnt a terrible Raiders team and lost the job. That was the most important audition of his professional career and he blew it! So I dont get the "I'm gonna ease up on him until he actually has a camp where he's the starter." comment?

Then this season he has had two occasion to come in as a back-up during blow outs. Both times we had to put Warner back in because he blew so bad. Then he goes in because of injury and has a whole halftime to warm up and get mentally prepared and he still was pretty bad.

I should have said "another" camp as the starter. Shane, c'mon man... I've been piloting the anti-Matty ship since the very second we drafted him. I know he had a camp already, and I know full well what he did with that opportunity. However, I am willing to give him another camp to come in as the starter and prove me wrong. I really don't believe he will of course, which would seriously suck as, unless Graves and Whiz work some magic, the post-Warner era could be very, very ugly...

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch...

I agree that Kreider's penalties were inexcusable, but I thought the holding call was a little weak.

As far as Leinart goes...
There are 2 things that are obvious to me...
1) He obviously doesn't see the field as well as he needs to. He is pretty quick to check down and is a bit jumpy (doesn't seem to let things fully develop). Really the only thing that helps this is game time reps, and getting more comfortable. That isn't to say that he will for sure get it, I am simply say that IF it is to be fixed it will be a growing process through in-game reps.

2) It is obvious that the offense is severely adjusted when Warner is out. I am sure the dink-and-dunk passing game was partially due to us having a decent lead, but there is no doubt that the play calling is changes when Warner is out.

These things said, I don't think Leinart played awful. He didn't make plays, but he didn't make many mistakes either. That one completion to Doucet on third down was a good job of escaping the rush and making something happen.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Thx Mitch.

1)Dansby had a great game & Hayes proved how "underappreciated" he is by fans

2)I still question our lack of consistant pass rush (any pressure)

3)Why isn't Branch seeing much playing time the last few games?

4)Can we quit running bubble screens against tight man coverage (2 weeks in a row w/o success)

5)Warner's head injury was a product of holding the ball too long

6)With the running game getting better each week & a healthy Warner we have a legit shot a the trophy no doubt in my mind!!!

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

A player that has been coached up by Warner and has had three season in the exact same system should at some point in his 3 opportunities this year at least look serviceable!

It happenned only once against Bears... otherwise I agree with you fully.

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
How quickly everyone forgets.

Warner had two horrible games this year, playing QB in the NFL isn't easy and is even harder cold off the bench.

He didn't throw a pick or do anything bad in the face of pretty bland play calling called for by the situation.

If we were behind or tied then that's an entirely different story.

Anyone on here ever had to come into a no win situation? IE it was going great before you and all you could possibly do is screw it up?

Well I'd like to see what you'd do in situations like that, if you're smart not screwing up is the first thing on your mind and it's a lot different than if the game rides on you or if you have to dig out of hole the other guy made.

Totally different scope of work.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many times did the old Cardinals knock out the starting QB only to have the back-up QB come in and tear up the field with them? Any team who has a competent reserve QB should at least be able to score some points?

I too am worried that our QBOF might not be up to snuff.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations on the divisional road win, your defense played well and that ground game with Tower/Wells was something i didn't expect.
Hopefully Kurt can come back next week and keep it rolling for ya'll.........at least till Dec 27th.;)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
another few things to add:

1) I think Breaston hurt his knee again on recovering Quans fumble (down) on the goaline

2) unlike last year, THT is running the ball quite well out of the shotgun & has all year

3) our short yardage defense has been oustanding all season

DS_Whit

Rookie
Reaction score

Adams is a gutty little player. Very nice backup. DRC is infuriatng to watch. He just won't tackle. Pathetic.
Haggans has indeed played great all year, but today he screwed up on several occasions.
Graham should be starting in Hawaii in February! Wow!!!

Matt will be a lot better once he gets his timing in synch with the first team. We have all seen his brilliance in years past and what he needs most is the support from the fans that Kurt gets. I am not saying that Matt does not make me nervous when he is under center but he will be a lot better when he gets his work in.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
How many times did the old Cardinals knock out the starting QB only to have the back-up QB come in and tear up the field with them? Any team who has a competent reserve QB should at least be able to score some points?

The old Cardinals are the only team I've ever seen that happen to, most of the time if you knock out the starting QB you're going to win the game.

Sure sometimes it flukes into people comming in and doing great but then there is Scott Mitchell who made millions off that kind of thinking.

Look it's just not indicative of much of anything IMO.

The play calling was called so as not to lose the game, and it worked, he didn't lose the game.

The Bears game was bad, this was just boring, in terms of his duty, I don't see much here one way or another, it's a pretty big yawner from anyway you look at it IMO.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope... Warner was never inserted again against Jags. We all were tossing and turning with anxiety as Jags were putting together a comeback but Whiz stuck with Leinart.

You are right. But he blew in both games. :)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

i'm going to guess that those teams were behind and had to throw to get back in it. They probably didn't have an 18 point lead to protect.That kind of changes things around a bit, don't you think? I'm not going to get in a pissng match again about Leinart. I'll just say listen to Whiz's post game press conference and i'll let it go at that. He pretty much said exactly what i thought he would about Leinart, reps, and play calling. I'm not calling you out but i'd venture to guess that Whiz knows more about Leinart than any of us "experts" on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05