Game Thoughts: Cardinals 21 Rams 13

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
7. DRC, despite playing in a tuxedo, which he really needs to change

Thanks Mitch, enjoyed the read.

This comment kinda went over my head, I think you might be calling him soft, can anyone confirm this.

Just not exactly sure what that means.

Thanks.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch, enjoyed the read.

This comment kinda went over my head, I think you might be calling him soft, can anyone confirm this.

Just not exactly sure what that means.

Thanks.

Playing soft as you stated. Doesn't want to get any dirt on his uniform so doesn't try to make a tackle or put himself in the middle of a bunch of sweating dirty players.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Warner now has a 135.2 qb rating over the last 3 games. Things are starting to click for he & his receivers. The addition of the run game is going to make things very interesting for defenses for the rest of the year. I would love to have a re-do w/ the Colts now. I think Whis is starting to settle into a groove w/ the play calling as well.

How would February 7, 2010 work for you?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What might have been interesting---and I think we are all glad it didn't have to happen---was whether Warner would have returned to the game had the Rams tied it up. The fact that he was still dressed suggests that may have been an option. One has to wonder whether Whiz is trying to do all he can to get Leinart meaningful snaps, as he has in other games. What these performances from Leinart are doing, however, is creating less and less confidence within himself and less confidence in him from the coaches and team. There's nothing sharp about his game, and this is now his 4th year. He does not have the hungry look one would expect. Whiz needs to do something about this. The offense bears not even an inkling of a semblance of what it is with Warner when Leinart is in there.

Unfortunately this is an accurate assessment of Leinart's performance. We all want Leinart to do well but he hasn't. There have been many threads this week on this but the reality is that Leinart's performance has been mediocre.We can make all the excuses we want but that is the bottom line.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
People,

The coaches will dump Matt if they want or keep him if they want and the difference in all the years we've yacked about these guys is that this staff has zero loyalty to Matt other than maybe his contract which soon would mean he'd be gone not staying.

Why is everyone so uptight about Matt?

I think people have Warner goggles now, as if every passer is that good or crisp.

How'd you like to get thrown into a game after the QB just posted some obscene rating and all you could do is lose the game and end up sucking?

The play calling was conservative, Whiz will decide Matt's fate and rate his performance, as if the guy hasn't already picked Warner over him in a QB battle and been proven right.

Chill out on the Matt bashing jeez if he stinks he'll be gone.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The play calling was conservative, Whiz will decide Matt's fate and rate his performance, as if the guy hasn't already picked Warner over him in a QB battle and been proven right.

The play calling was not that conservative. Matt's choices to throw only to the check down on almost every play is what is conservative not the play calling. On 3rd down and 1 rolling Matt out on a bootleg for a pass is not conservative.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't great by any stretch but I don't see how anybody can fault him for the fumble by Becht which very possibly cost us points, and basically gave the Rams a lifeline back into the game. It actually looks to me like someone ran the wrong route because Becht, Boldin and Fitz were all in the same general area. Boldin was deeper than Becht right behind him, and Fitz was deeper off to the left of Becht which is how he was able to knock the recovering guy out of bounds saving a TD.

The play was a rollout right which seems odd, and I suspect this was the one call a game we seem to do for Becht that's a total surprise when we really want a completion. It was 2nd and 11 from the Ram 45, I suspect Whiz was figuring get 6-8 yards to make 3rd down manageable. I actually wonder watching the replay several times on NFL.com if the reason Boldin was so mad is that someone(maybe him) ran the wrong route? 3 guys reacted to Becht and I can guarantee you that they weren't there out of fear of Becht they were there because Fitz and Boldin were in the same general area and Matt was rolling out.

But if Becht just holds on to the damn ball at that point in the game it's 21-6 with 12 minutes left. Even if we don't get into FG range on the 3rd down, we're punting with another chance to pin them inside the 20 as Graham has done so well all year.

But Becht fumbles and they start their drive on our 44 yard line. That play is what actually changed the game, not Leinart's performance. If Becht doesn't fumble this game very likely is not remotely close the 4th quarter.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The play calling was not that conservative. Matt's choices to throw only to the check down on almost every play is what is conservative not the play calling. On 3rd down and 1 rolling Matt out on a bootleg for a pass is not conservative.

Actually it somewhat is Shane. When the guy rolls out like that, especially to his right for some reason, you're basically cutting the field in half, he's not going to be able to roll right and throw back to the left(and if he does bench him immediately).

The whole idea is get him out of the pocket where he has the choice of dumping the ball off, or running for the first down. The key to that play is if the QB gets rushed he can throw the ball out of bounds with no fear of a grounding call because he's outside the tackle.

I think you're talking about the one to Beanie that was incomplete? The one to Becht the only guy open on that side was Becht, as I said elsewhere I suspect someone ran the wrong route because Fitz, Boldin and Becht were all bunched together, Matt took the open one which of course is Becht, and he fumbled it.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I just trust this coaching staff to make the call here on Matt and everyone else should too.

They didn't draft Matt, his contract is comming to a head to where it will more than likely force him out of town and yet everyone worries about his play.

However after he's gone and if Warner ever gets hurt we have no plans as of yet to fill that void, this year it's Matt.

I pretty much trust Whiz here, I highly doubt he'll be talked into keeping Matt or make a bad call on this, if Matt stays it's because he feels he will be the QBOF and if he goes that dosen't mean he won't ever play again, I bet he will.

I just don't see why people have to rush and label a QB a bust, there's not much I see out of Matt that says to me he'll bust out, maybe he won't fit here but I bet he ends up being pretty good.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see why people have to rush and label a QB a bust, there's not much I see out of Matt that says to me he'll bust out, maybe he won't fit here but I bet he ends up being pretty good.

Top 10 QB drafted in round 1. Was considered to be most NFL ready QB to come into NFL in a decade by most NFL scouts. He was considered a surefire franchise QB. If MAtt had been and done what he was supposed to do Warner wouldn't even be on the team.

He is relegated to back up duty and looks horrible when called upon in games that there should be ZERO pressure.

So far in his young career he most certainly is a BUST. He may turn it around one day but I wouldn't put any $$$ on it. Not even 10 bucks.

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Top 10 QB drafted in round 1. Was considered to be most NFL ready QB to come into NFL in a decade by most NFL scouts. He was considered a surefire franchise QB. If MAtt had been and done what he was supposed to do Warner wouldn't even be on the team.

He is relegated to back up duty and looks horrible when called upon in games that there should be ZERO pressure.

So far in his young career he most certainly is a BUST. He may turn it around one day but I would put any $$$ on it. Not even 10 bucks.

Your opinion is valued.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

So far in his young career he most certainly is a BUST. He may turn it around one day but I wouldn't put any $$$ on it. Not even 10 bucks.
Those descriptions pretty much pertain to this guy as well except he wasn't a top 10 pick,but still a first rounder, did you consider Aaron Rodgers a bust? Because once he was handed the reins and settled in, he's been pretty good. I could easily see the same thing with Leinart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05