Game Thread: Lakers @ Suns

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I hope the Suns can get thier offense together for the game tonight. Lakers were tough on Amare last season trapping him in the post and forcing turnovers. Marbury and Marion are going to have to step up big. I think Zarko could get some good matchups.

Shaq will get plenty of points and fouls on the bigs. I think you go after Kobe on offense to try and get him out of the game.

I think the defense could come up with some plays, it is the offense I worry about this early in the season.

GO SUNS!

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need Marbury to play like Starbury tonight.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers are big and old.

To win this game, we've got to be hell bent on rebounding, and then run like there is no tomorrow.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
For once, I'd like to see JJ come out and light the place on fire.

I'm sick of seeing him pull the string on his J and lose his handles while looking straight at the defender.

If he comes out and produces right away, PHX has a chance.

If we have to rely on Marbs/Stoudamire and a quiet 20 from Marion, then it's going to be a Laker LoveFest come 4th quarter.

SOMEONE STEP UP AND TAKE IT RIGHT AT GP AND THE MAILMAN.

dyle_ph1

Registered
Reaction score
I expect an ugly game for the suns later on. The bigs are going to foul out one by one and amare would have to play shaq most of the time. Shaq is going to get his calls, as well as malone down low. Steph should hopefully have a good game. I seem to recall him having great games against payton recently. JJ or Penny will be the key, either on defense (if kobe plays) or offense. Anything out of the SG spot will be huge. Suns might have a chance with the 2nd team to get it going. Hopefully zarko settles down a little bit and gives us some nice minutes.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Phoenix Suns don't get blown out I'll be surprised and somewhat content. The only good thing about this matchup is that the Suns are likely to be in foul trouble early and often, so we might actually get to see Trybanski for more than 30 seconds.

Lakers 115
Suns 89

Joe Mama

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trybanski actually might be a player that is able to frustrate Shaq some, especially coming off to double team.

I would love to play Trybanski against Malone, and Amare against Shaq. Let Amare body him up, but then see if Trybanki can drop down and block a few. Can't say it would work, but it would be fun to try.

I think I'd also like to see a line up like this:

Steph
Shawn
Zarko
Amare
Jake

That line-up has both size and speed and would match up well defensively with the Lakers lineup.

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
The advantage the Suns will have is flexibility. They can switch players around and have a decent second string. After the Lakers big 4 they are pretty thin.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
My mind is telling me "Lakers by 20" my heart is telling me "Suns by 5."

I want to see Stoudemire posterize Shaq and/or Mailman.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirStefan32
My mind is telling me "Lakers by 20" my heart is telling me "Suns by 5."

My mind is telling me "Lakers by 15" and my heart is telling me "Lakers by 25." :cool:

<marquee>Go Lakers!!!</marquee>

matt_whitlock

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think everybody here is forgetting something very key. This team plays up, and down, to the competition. When we're playing the Miami Heat, who will most likely go 0-82 this year, we have a great chance of losing. When we play the Clippers, who are without Brand, we have a very good chance of losing. However, when we play the Kings, Twolves, Spurs, or Lakers, we may lose, but we'll be in the game. Of course, this is all based on last year's team, but considering we have the same core of players, why would this year be any different?

Shaq will have his way tonight. We don't have a 7'2 guy who will guard him, but we didn't have that last year either. We had Lakavos Tsakalidis, and sometimes he'd play a little against the Lakers, but did the 3 minutes he was in there, slovenly lumbering around while picking up quick fouls really make a difference? Maybe, but not much.

LA has Payton now, who is a great player and I don't think he's lost a step in his moderately more than young age, but we have Stephon Marbury. Payton's a great defender, but that only matters to guys like Shawn Marion or his blind supporters who make up excuses for their poor play. A guy like Steph? He's a baller; he's a gamer. If anything, seeing a top-tier point guard will only motivate Stephon that much more to will his team to win. If it means turning into Starbury, or turning into MJ, or turning into a guy who simply gets his teamates involved, he'll do it.

Malone is tough. To me, he's the real x-factor in here. Stoudemire does have a tough time against the Lakers because they're so big and Phil Jackson and his staff are very intelligent defensive coaches. Let me rephrase this. The power forward position is the x-factor in the game. If Malone barrels into Stoudemire twice, blatantly picking up 2 offensive fouls, then we're going to be in trouble because the refs are going to suck and assign the fouls to Amare. If Malone does that once, and Amare comes down all excited playing against his childhood idol, Shaq, and who many say is the best pf ever, Malone, he might be in foul trouble all night. Of course, seeing Malone out there may remind Stoudemire all the more to get out and run the floor, and he might have 5 dunks in the first quarter, getting the crowd energized and the Suns starting to think we can really win this game. In that way, the game really hinges on this position.

X factor number 2 is Kobe Bryant. If he comes out on fire, that will probably surprise us, and then Shaq will do his thing and Payton will push the ball down our throats and Malone will do the offensive foul thing and the Lakers might run us off our own court. But Kobe could also hurt his team somewhat. The people who say Kobe will do this in the long run are wrong, because Kobe is a great player and knows how to win. But in his first game back, after he hasn't had the preseason or the first 2 games of the season for him to get acclimated to the vastly changed Laker game, it might cause some chemistry problems. Problem is, unless the Suns blow the team out, if the four hall-of-famers are on the court in the late fourth quarter and the game is close, it'll be hell to win the game.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Well no the Suns really didn't have someone that could guard Shaq (like the rest of the league). What is needed againt Shaq is someone strong enough to keep him from setting up to low on the block or in the paint. Once he catches it to close to the basket it is over. Big Jake did as good a job as anybody in putting a body on Shaq and keeping him from catching it to low. If you can make him catch it further out the double team has a chance to be effective.

Point taken about the Suns playing up or down depending on the competition. If they are sharp on offense they will be right in this game.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I think they should just let shaq go for 50. Don't double him, there is no longer anyone we can leave.

Amare needs to be very aggressive on the offensive end. If he can get a couple early foul on either Malone or Shaq it could help huge.

I honestly don't expect a win, but if they can get JJ to play like he did in pre season, and Marion to step it up another notch they have a decent chance

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think they should just let shaq go for 50.

This is an excellent idea, because I need a big game from O'Neal tonight for my fantasy team. 60 would be better.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns will have a worse matchup than this one all year. The Suns are still trying to get organized, and the Lakers are still fresh and healthy. Worst, there's nothing the team can do with Shaq.

I would be happy with anything beyond 20 min. from Jake, and Shaq defenders #2 and #3 are both on IR. Trybanski is a shorter, much-less-experienced Shawn Bradley at this point--If he's on the floor at all tonight, things will get ugly quick.

I see Googs guarding Shaq for a lot of minutes (unless he fouls out quickly), and Zarko trying to match up with Karl Malone, which is nearly as bad.

On the other end of the court, the Lakers are vulnerable to the Suns' speed, and if Shaq or even Karl Malone gets into foul trouble, the Suns' chances suddenly look a lot better. I don't think the Suns can hold on defense well enough to take advantage of their opportunities on offense, though.

I think the Suns' best chance is to win tonight is if Kobe takes a lot of shots--not that he can't beat the Suns, but at least the team might stay out of foul trouble. If Jake has to check out after two minutes, it's going to be a long, long night. :(

I hope I'm wrong, of course. I would feel encouraged by anything less than a blowout, and the big three give me a little hope, even though I feel the deck is stacked against us this evening...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It would be better drama for the league if the Lakers lost tonight, after having won so convincingly without Bryant in Game 1. I don't think that factor will be enough to make a difference, but it should keep the game competitive, provided the Suns are up to their part in the charade.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like it's going to be a long, tough night for the Suns. I think we've got the advantage at PG & SF and PF should be a wash, but we are outmanned at SG & C even if Kobe only plays half the game. I can see us in foul trouble really quickly. Has any team ever had to forfeit a game because there are only 4 players that haven't fouled out yet?

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
I think if Amare can steer clear of foul trouble whilst gaurding Malone, and vice versa get some fouls on Malone we'll stay in touch. Malone knows all the tricks so amare will have to be prepared to take whatever dirty sh$t he dishes out and not get frustrated.

Penny needs to really contribute. overall we can';t rely on Marbs and his one on one plays. Get the other guys going early. And Amare should really take it too malone.

I think we can win it.

Trybanski needs to log some minutes in gaurding shaq. Try Googs on him also. Maybe a big challenge will light a fire under his ass and he'll actually do something.

Suns by 9

or Lakers by 30

Trying to figure which one i'll go for.

:confused:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I kinda hope Googs gets knocked out by a Malone elbow and Malone gets ejected so we have a better chance of winning. :) I also wouldn't mind having Googs out for a few games because it will give Zarko more time.

matt_whitlock

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I kinda hope Googs gets knocked out by a Malone elbow and Malone gets ejected so we have a better chance of winning.

Aww, isn't that sweet. I'm sure he'd say the same about you. :mad:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Aww, isn't that sweet. I'm sure he'd say the same about you.

Better than making sex jokes about his mother and animals. :thumbdown