Garnett punches Rickert

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilalum said:
At the risk of alienating even more people.

Doesn't KG also have a problem with Wally World and wasn't he instrumental in getting rid of Nesterovic and replacing him with Candy Pants?

I certainly don't know Kevin Garnett personally but he seems to have a problem with white players.

This may be a streotype but I've witnessed a lot of black players become quite angry when bested by a white guy.

Or maybe they were just shocked. :)

It's an interesting hypothesis, but I suspect it has more to do with guys who don't play hard all the time. I haven't heard Garnett had any trouble with Fred Hoiberg who plays very hard even though he isn't very athletic.

Nesterovic averaged only 6.5 rpg his last season in Minnesota while playing 30.4 minutes a game. This was less on a per minute basis than Voskuhl. Nesterovic improved to 7.7 rpg over 28.7 minutes, but this is still a far cry from Garnett who grabbed 13.4 rpg in 2002-03 and 13.9 rpg last season.

When healthy and in shape, Olowokandi has been a much stronger rebounder than Nesterovic, but that has not been the situation for several years. In any case, I suspect that Garnett will get on Olowokandi's case if hasn't already.

BTW, Nesterovic's history gives some hope for slow developing big men. He played in only two games his rookie year and has shown gradual improvement over the next five seasons.

Last edited:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I thought that KG and Rasho had problems with each other, but KG wanted him back. And to be fair, Kandi for the MLE was considered a steal when it first went down

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
It glorifies the most negative qualities in people, as in degrading women, drug use, praising violence, articulating through the most inappropriate language, embracing crime, you name it, if it's bad, Hip Hop pumps it up.

Ganster Rap is only part of Hip Hop. I hope you realize that. Like you, I think most of that stuff has already hit a steep decline, and should become much rarer in the next few years.

However, other brands of Hip Hop have since emerged. Lots of which doesn't represent many of the things you complain about. In fact, several artists dedicate entire albums to speaking out against violence and degredation. Pop in a black eyed peas or Kayne West album to get an idea of what I am talking about.

The same thing could be said for the thug personalities you hate in NBA players. For every player getting a DUI and flipping off the fans, there are another 2 players visiting the local children's hospital to make some deathly ill kids day.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Here is another report on this.
-------------------------------------------
NBA MVP reportedly punches player
Story Tools: Print Email
FOXSports.com

Kevin Garnett reportedly punched a former University of Minnesota player during a pickup game last week. The blow thrown at Target Center cut the man's face and chipped his tooth, according to a report in the Washington Post.

The Post, citing several sources with knowledge of the event, reported the NBA MVP swung at Rick Rickert, a second round pick of the T-Wolves last season. Rickert's mother reportedly said in a phone interview that seven stitches were necessary to close the cut on her son's chin.
It should be noted a report in the St. Paul Pioneer Press says Garnett's attack was not provoked.

The 21-year-old Rickert was thought to have scored several times with the 6-foot-11 Garnett guarding him. A source reportedly told The Post several players began to tease Garnett about being outplayed. And when Rickert scored again, Garnett punched him.

"Rick was surprised that Garnett reacted the way he did," said Rickert's agent, Mark Termini.

Garnett punched teammate Wally Szczerbiak in the head after an argument in November 2000.

---------------------------------------------------

I used to live in Mpls. and still follow the sports there. I have a brother that lives there and he tells me that Garnett is not liked that well. He thinks that die hard fans like him, but a lot of fans and the public in general do not like him. He says that the salary he makes and how he acts are what turns off most people.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mrs. Rickert is a jerk for naming her son Rick - I mean come on Rick Rickert - was she that exhausted that she couldn't even come up with a name?

Personally - I think Garnett's a bit of a reverse racist from what I've heard about him - that and he's still WAYYYYY overrated. IMO - he's still only played one Superman game - 7 against the Kings - and that Kings team was a mess with Peja dissappearing and Webber a shel of himself.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Mrs. Rickert is a jerk for naming her son Rick - I mean come on Rick Rickert - was she that exhausted that she couldn't even come up with a name?

My roommate had a fake ID from a kid names Robert Roberts

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW a friend who's connected to Minnesota(season tix for so long the players all know her by name and coaches too) says she read the following on a wolves list.

Rickert was playing dirty and had been warned twice to stop it, he and Kris Humphries had to be separated after an elbow from Rickert. he then hit KG with an elbow on his way to the basket, so KG punched him.

Doesn't justify it, but apparently there was a build up to it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I imagining things or did that story quote his mom? His mom? That is classic.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FWIW a friend who's connected to Minnesota(season tix for so long the players all know her by name and coaches too) says she read the following on a wolves list.

Rickert was playing dirty and had been warned twice to stop it, he and Kris Humphries had to be separated after an elbow from Rickert. he then hit KG with an elbow on his way to the basket, so KG punched him.

Doesn't justify it, but apparently there was a build up to it.

Kris Humprhies plays for the Jazz what would he do there?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Kris Humprhies plays for the Jazz what would he do there?

Because he's from Minnesota, and supposedly it wasn't an "informal workout" it was essentially a pickup game at the Target center involving NBA players.
She thinks the source is Keith McLeod.

> Rick was playing "dirty" using flying elbows in a pickup game and was
> warned twice to chill out before somebody gets hurt ....
>
> A problem started with Rickert and Kris Humphries.... They had to be
> separated.....
>
> Later on, he hit KG with a flying elbow, most likely not
> intentionally, and KG sucker punch ed him in the jaw...."
>