Get Firefox!

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
krepitch said:
Can you guys help me with a Firefox problem?

I am fairly new to Firefox, but I do like it. I am having a problem, though. It seems as if there is no "Save Target As" option when I right-click a link to a file. If I open the same page in IE, I get that option.

I didn't think "Save Target As" was only in IE. Is that right? Do I need to download an extension or something into Firefox?

:confused:

It is called "Save Link As" in Firefox

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
CatBoxBackFan said:
It is called "Save Link As" in Firefox

Cool. Thanks. It's kind of odd how "Send Link" sends a location, but "Save Link" saves the actual file. But now I never have to worry about it again! :thumbup:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teen Is Co-Creator of Firefox Browser

Teen Is Co-Creator of Firefox Browser

Sun Jan 23rd

By JOHN PAIN, AP Business Writer

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -
By age 10, Blake Ross was designing Web pages on America Online. By 14, after mastering complex programming languages such as C++, he was fixing bugs in Netscape's Web browser from home, a hobby that landed him a job offer.

"What, at the local store or something?" David Ross remembered thinking when his son told him.

No, at Netscape Communications Corp.

Ross, now 19, a sophomore computer science major at Stanford University, has an even more impressive resume than most of his peers. Before graduating high school, he helped develop Firefox.

Colleagues who worked with Ross only online were surprised when they met him to find "a scrawny 15-year-old kid," recalled Chris Hofmann, engineering director at the Mozilla Foundation.

To take an internship at Netscape during the summer of 2001, Ross moved with his mother to a rented apartment near Netscape's offices in Mountain View, Calif. She drove him to work each morning.

He continued working on the browser on contract after returning to Florida to attend Gulliver Preparatory School. He breezed through computer classes, finishing projects in a day that took others two weeks, said Dean Morell, a former teacher and chairman of the school's computer science department.

Ross soon took on a much more demanding project.

America Online Inc., which bought Netscape in 1999, was trying to resurrect the once-mighty Netscape browser. AOL added features, but they bogged down the software and reduced performance, Ross said in recent interviews by e-mail and at his parents' condo in Key Biscayne, a Miami suburb.

At 17, Ross and another Netscape programmer, David Hyatt, started a side project that became Firefox. They wanted to strip down Netscape and the Mozilla suite on which it is based. By reducing the software to its browsing basics, they figured it would run more efficiently.

Ross and Hyatt created an early version of the browser. Because the project was open source, thousands of volunteers could examine the programming code and suggest ways to improve performance and fix bugs.

"I have fond memories of long nights spent at Netscape just poring over all the feedback people submitted about our programs," Ross said.

Hofmann, the Mozilla engineering director, said Ross dealt with the pressures of Silicon Valley quite well for his age.

"I don't think that he was intimidated or awe-struck at all," he said. "With open-source projects you rise to a level based on your skills. It is really a meritocracy. Anyone who has the skills rises quickly and Blake had all those skills."

AOL ultimately spun off the project and created the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation to develop Firefox and related software.

Hyatt left to design Apple Computer Inc.'s Safari Web browser, but Ross stayed and helped fix Firefox bugs from college.

Firefox was officially released Nov. 9. It was used by 4.6 percent of Web surfers in early January, and that number could reach 10 percent by mid-2005, according to WebSideStory, which tracks browser use. Microsoft's Internet Explorer has dropped to 90.6 percent this month from 95.5 percent in June.

Security experts like Firefox, saying it isn't as vulnerable as Internet Explorer to viruses, spyware and other malicious programs.

Ross has assisted with marketing, helping to place an ad in The New York Times paid for by thousands of Firefox users.

Ross will work with a team on Firefox version 2.0. He also gets calls from venture capitalists and has a startup with Joe Hewitt, another veteran of Netscape and Firefox. He said he can't talk about their work, but he's also interested in writing movies or children's fiction.

The downside of his success: "All my computer science professors are expecting straight A's, even in classes that have nothing to do with the Internet," he said.

And have his appearances in major newspapers posted on his eponymous Web site helped with those California girls at school?

"They're the ones that aren't impressed at all," he said with a laugh.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What do I have to change so I can see the images that people attach on this site? I can see them occasionally, but only rarely.

I am thinking it is a Firefox setting, but it might be something else. I appreciate any tips. Thanks!

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
krepitch said:
What do I have to change so I can see the images that people attach on this site? I can see them occasionally, but only rarely.

I am thinking it is a Firefox setting, but it might be something else. I appreciate any tips. Thanks!

Go to tools and options and then click on Web Features and see if the box is checked by load imagines,if it is then I'll do more searches on this :thumbup:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
CatBoxBackFan said:
Go to tools and options and then click on Web Features and see if the box is checked by load imagines,if it is then I'll do more searches on this :thumbup:

Yeah, it's checked. Let me know if you think of anything else. Thanks!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
CatBoxBackFan said:
I should have also asked you to see if the box for "for the originating website only" is checked,if it is,uncheck it,hope that works.

It is unchecked. Is it possible that it's not a browser setting, but one of my security programs or something?

Cool picture in your signature, by the way. :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...

Is everyone still tickled with Firefox? I'm sitting at an internet cafe using it, seems okay, but wondering if any problems have cropped up before I download it at home.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I've started using it for viewing most websites, I still use internet explorer for viewing Outlook Web Access since it activex for the main features of the app.

I installed the adblock extension today - it kicks arse!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I had one issue...once the new version came out, mine just wouldnt' work anymore...I had to reinstall it, and lost all my new bookmarks. Not a big deal, I remember all the important ones.

It was weird...the browser wanted me to create a new account with it or something, and when I did, I couldn't access the old one. Oh well. Still like it better than IE.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
green machine said:
I had one issue...once the new version came out, mine just wouldnt' work anymore...I had to reinstall it, and lost all my new bookmarks. Not a big deal, I remember all the important ones.

It was weird...the browser wanted me to create a new account with it or something, and when I did, I couldn't access the old one. Oh well. Still like it better than IE.

Remember to export your bookmarks next time before you reinstall :)

Mike

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone been getting popups? I go to one web site that always sneaks one through. I have ad-block but it doesnt stop it.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I tried to do the update on one of my computers. It locked up and didn't finish.

After that Firefox wouldn't open.

I uninstalled and reinstalled. Since I didn't delete the folder the bookmarks were preserved. It works fine now.

bratwurst

Reaction score
green machine said:

I had this same issue, it wanted to update to 1.01 and then froze up during the update. I tried to close and reopen, and it asked me for a profile.

It turned out that the process was still running, thats why it asked for a new profile. It couldn't access the normal one because it was still in use.

I ended up having to reinstall from scratch because it wouldn't work at all after that.

I have actually had to reinstall twice. The other time was last night, I had to change the domain on my laptop, so my profile changed directories. I use the "walnut" theme. When I opened up firefox, it couldn't access the right profile to load the walnut theme, and all the buttons and stuff at the top was screwey, on a white background and no buttons worked. I tried to go into the tools menu to change back but it was jet black and didn't work. Just had to reinstall again and it fixed it. I have a backup copy of my bookmarks saved so it was all good.

One really good thing about firefox is that if it messes up, you can reinstalll with basically no worries. If IE blows up, you're in deeper waters since it is an imbedded part of windows.

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Twist18 said:
Has anyone been getting popups? I go to one web site that always sneaks one through. I have ad-block but it doesnt stop it.

I'm getting pop ups in a new tab which has got Firefox gurus scratching there heads
You must be registered for see images

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
CatBoxBackFan said:
I'm getting pop ups in a new tab which has got Firefox gurus scratching there heads
You must be registered for see images

It was only a matter of time until the buttheads of the web decided to go after FireFox.

I've been getting a few pop ups too.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I like Internet Explorer, but I do think it's funny that all these open source freaks who hate Microsoft all blame it's security issues, how it gets hacked, etc, and that Linux, Mozilla, etc are all so secure...

Well, all it took was for Firefox to get popular and people start targetting it...

Any source, open or MS is vulnerable...

Mike

mkapp

CheesyPoof!
Reaction score
I read in an article that something like 85% of people use IE for browsing. That said, 95% of all viruses, pop-ups,spam,trackers, and various malware are designed to "work" with IE

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I stopped using firefox as of a few days ago, I was completely inundated with pop-ups.... the thing just sucks at this point

bratwurst

Reaction score
There are some features about FireFox that I really like. But there are some definite hangups with the program. It locks up quite a bit while loading pages, especially dealing with java I think most of the time. Only way I can get it to come back is to close the program, and then manually kill the process out of task manager. This really sucks when you have 10 or so tabs running. Plus, I am running into that ridiculously long wait between clicking the firefox icon and the program actually showing on screen.

Like I said, lots of cool stuff and I use it more than IE now, but when MS releases IE7 I think I will have to give it a long look. If the tabs work well, I will probably switch back. Firefox is going to go through some major growing pains as the black hats start to pay more attention to it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05