GM Blanks out

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You obviously haven't been to the World Sports board. It's quite entertaining reading what he writes over there.

Do you have a link? I have never visited this site and Google seems to be sending me everywhere.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link? I have never visited this site and Google seems to be sending me everywhere.

I think he's talking about The World Sports board here on ASFN. I don't frequent it so I could be wrong but that's the way I took it.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about The World Sports board here on ASFN. I don't frequent it so I could be wrong but that's the way I took it.

Steve

Thanks. It shows how infrequently visit other forums besides the Suns and the Arizona Cardinals.

It's amazing to know other posters have another life. :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It shows how infrequently visit other forums besides the Suns and the Arizona Cardinals.

It's amazing to know other posters have another life. :D

Yeah, you really should check out all of ASFN. There's a board for just about everything. Well, I haven't been able to find the Amy MacDonald forum but most everything else is covered.:D

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And when does a coach evaluate talent? He is given a roster to work with and practices and puts the players through drills and then plays his guys properly.
At no time does a coach have to evaluate long term talent, future prospects etc.
A coach works to win the next game. Even more so a coach like Phil Jackson that has never been part of a rebuilding process.

I have no interest in getting between you and your arguments, but that comment above shows a total lack of awareness. Every coach in every American professional league is intimately involved in personnel and player evaluation. Conversations between a coach and a GM are on-going year-round. Conversations between coach, GM and scouting staff are continuous. Once the season ends, coaches spend all their energy evaluating talent in person, on film and in interviews.

This role of a head coach is heightened in the NFL and the NBA, where coaches are de facto asst. GMs, whose opinions carry great weight on draft picks, free agent acquisitions and trades. In many situations, a coach's opinion is the primary opinion, which is what we saw early in the D'Antoni era.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This role of a head coach is heightened in the NFL and the NBA, where coaches are de facto asst. GMs, whose opinions carry great weight on draft picks, free agent acquisitions and trades. In many situations, a coach's opinion is the primary opinion, which is what we saw early in the D'Antoni era.

Understandably so. As a wise man once said, "If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries.”

(Hint- it wasn't Lindsey Hunter)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no interest in getting between you and your arguments, but that comment above shows a total lack of awareness. Every coach in every American professional league is intimately involved in personnel and player evaluation. Conversations between a coach and a GM are on-going year-round. Conversations between coach, GM and scouting staff are continuous. Once the season ends, coaches spend all their energy evaluating talent in person, on film and in interviews.

Thank you. I was wondering if I was losing my mind or something.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you really should check out all of ASFN. There's a board for just about everything.

I will make it a point to check out the other forums.

Well, I haven't been able to find the Amy MacDonald forum but most everything else is covered.:D

Darn. I listen to Amy Macdonald every day. Her albums never get old. Her first album may have gotten the most publicity and is great, but her second and third albums are downright addictive. I wish she would do a tour in the United States.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, you really should check out all of ASFN. There's a board for just about everything. Well, I haven't been able to find the Amy MacDonald forum but most everything else is covered.:D

Steve
If only they one to talk about NFL teams other than the Cardinals....

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only they one to talk about NFL teams other than the Cardinals....

You could always start a Chargers thread in The Smack Shack although it probably wouldn't draw a lot of traffic. It might draw a little attention because of Whiz but unfortunately (for you), it's the wrong conference, the wrong division and THE WRONG TEAM. :D :newcards:

Steve

HooverDam

Reaction score
So apparently the Bucks Assistant GM is our top candidate, because Milwaukee is a model franchise.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So apparently the Bucks Assistant GM is our top candidate, because Milwaukee is a model franchise.

Where did you see that Weltman is the "top candidate"?
I've seen that he is a candidate, along with Morway and Lester, with some mentions of other Assistant GMs (including Weaver of OKC), but I haven't seen anything that said Weltman is the top candidate.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The GM search began this week with the Suns considering Milwaukee assistant GM Jeff Weltman (a finalist in 2010 when Blanks was hired), former Indiana Pacers GM and Arizona graduate David Morway and former Lakers assistant GM Ronnie Lester. Assistant GMs Ryan McDonough (Boston), Wes Wilcox (Atlanta) and Troy Weaver (Oklahoma City) are potential candidates too.

Babby said a promotion from inside the organization was unlikely and that he would prefer not to combine the coach and GM roles for one person. He said that GM experience was not a requirement because of how his three years on the job can fill the gaps. He also said he “can’t imagine a circumstance that a first-rate talent evaluator would not have front-office experience.”

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...-necessary-for-next-suns-general-manager.html

Wow I'm actually impressed with what I'm hearing. That's pretty nice list of possible candidates. I hope they bring in Lester, McDonough and Weaver in for interviews. We really can't do much better than any of those 3.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Been reading this thread; Slin it's your turn to respond. Lol! Slin, I like your devotion to your opinion. It makes for a good discussion board. But I really gotta disagree with you on almost everything in this thread.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Phil Jackson has already spoken to 3-4 teams apparently and it's stressed that he wants control of the coaching situation as well. Are there any teams besides us that has a GM and possible coach vacancy? I know there are a few places with coaching vacancies, but are they missing GMs too?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phil Jackson has already spoken to 3-4 teams apparently and it's stressed that he wants control of the coaching situation as well. Are there any teams besides us that has a GM and possible coach vacancy? I know there are a few places with coaching vacancies, but are they missing GMs too?

This place seems perfect for him. 6 picks over three years. Control over bball decisions. Cap room. Already hit bottom.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Jackson said he would be interested in a developing team "where you'd have the influence in (selecting the) coaching staff and the kind of culture that goes along with it. It goes all the way down to - not down to, but includes - trainers and the people who are doing the hands-on work with players, that have to be really embedded with how you put a team together. ... The support group is important; guys who get an opportunity to hear and talk and influence the players.

"It would be a real opportunity to implant the game, a culture that I believe in - that's the intriguing part."

That sure sounds intriguing but his Lakers ties still worry me.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would the Suns be willing to pay Jackson a high salary in order to bring him over here? A while back I read reports that he may be looking for $10M/year. I don't think the Suns would come anywhere near that. Would he accept much less?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This place seems perfect for him. 6 picks over three years. Control over bball decisions. Cap room. Already hit bottom.

Can we all agree to stop talking about how many picks we have? Not ragging on you specifically, but what's the hit rate on 2nd rounders? 10%?

If we get any value out of a 2nd rounder with our FO, it'll be a gigantic upset.

Regarding Jackson, I'd give him a shot. Look at what we've been doing instead and consider the kinds of people that would be interested in working for Sarver.

We're getting punked by Mike Freaking Brown these days...not good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Can we all agree to stop talking about how many picks we have? Not ragging on you specifically, but what's the hit rate on 2nd rounders? 10%?

If we get any value out of a 2nd rounder with our FO, it'll be a gigantic upset.

Regarding Jackson, I'd give him a shot. Look at what we've been doing instead and consider the kinds of people that would be interested in working for Sarver.

We're getting punked by Mike Freaking Brown these days...not good.

Think about it--on one hand, it makes sense that they may want a "yes man". But the reality is that Robert Sarver has always wanted this to be a moneymaker--like any businessman would. Even with a high salary, imagine what having Phil Jackson does for the Suns--just having him as a GM would do wonders to our financial profile around the league and in the sporting world. At least for the first year, the Suns would make a ton more money just based on name recognition. We would instantly become top story fodder for ESPN. Isn't that what Sarver really wants? To make a ton of money with pretty much no work--with a hire of Phil Jackson, you've got an instant moneymaker.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Think about it--on one hand, it makes sense that they may want a "yes man". But the reality is that Robert Sarver has always wanted this to be a moneymaker--like any businessman would. Even with a high salary, imagine what having Phil Jackson does for the Suns--just having him as a GM would do wonders to our financial profile around the league and in the sporting world. At least for the first year, the Suns would make a ton more money just based on name recognition. We would instantly become top story fodder for ESPN. Isn't that what Sarver really wants? To make a ton of money with pretty much no work--with a hire of Phil Jackson, you've got an instant moneymaker.

I just wish Sarver would realize he sucks at being an owner, and he can make a ton of money by selling the team now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake