Good News Red Stripe! Looks like purple is OUT next season...

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If this is true - i think the chances of me purchasing a jersey and hat go up exponentially! The new color scheme sounds real nice....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060831&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

A highly classified communiqué arrived at Uni Watch HQ the other day, courtesy of an anonymous source with the Arizona Diamondbacks. After extensive decoding by the Uni Watch cryptographers, here's the full text of the message:

"I work for the Arizona Diamondbacks Team Shop, and I've got a juicy tidbit I know you'll be interested in: The DBacks are losing the purple for 2007. Their color scheme is apparently going to be a sandy type of red with black trim. Former DBack Matt Williams (who's now with the front office) modeled the new uniforms for a group of season ticket holders. They were told to keep it under their hats, but I guess they have as hard a time keeping their mouths shut as I do."

Uni Watch was excited but suspicious. Might this be an enemy spy, or perhaps a merry prankster, looking to have a bit of fun at Uni Watch's purple-averse expense? (Don't scoff -- just last week, longtime Uni Watch pal/antagonist the Rev. Nørb showed up at a Uni Watch gathering in Milwaukee with a seemingly endless supply of purple jerseys -- and brought along some additional purple party favors for good measure. But Uni Watch digresses …)

"No, it's for real," the source insisted. "Our bosses put a stop on all orders of DBacks merch back in April. We all thought it was weird to stop ordering merchandise in the first month of the season. Then we started hearing the rumors about the meeting with Matt Williams. At first I thought it was bogus, but we started hearing it from a whole lot of people. They were all saying the same thing: The uniform was red, white, and black, and the main logo was a 'D' that was similar to the current D/snake logo, but more realistic-looking."

A jubilant Uni Watch happily counts this as the latest in an encouraging string of defeats for the sports world's most loathsome color. As most of you probably know, the Bucks recently banished purple from their logo (new uniforms, presumably based on the updated color scheme, are set to debut shortly), and images of a purple-free Raptors uni, taken from the new NBA 2K7 video game, have been circulating, as well. Of course, a few teams will always be hopeless, but it's now clear that victory, dear comrades, is within our grasp.

AZZenny

Reaction score
OH NO! What the hell is a 'sandy red?'

Idjits -- there's a lot more important things to fix than uniform color, and purple is NOT a bad color.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
OH NO! What the hell is a 'sandy red?'

Idjits -- there's a lot more important things to fix than uniform color, and purple is NOT a bad color.

Im thinking like the astros new hats (brick red) from a couple years ago which i think are $$$$$

HooverDam

Reaction score
Lame, lame, lame, lame. If this is true, Ill be writing a lot of complaints to the Dbacks front office. This sounds like they are changing to the Coyotes color shceme/logo, very bland and boring.

Purple is a bad ass color, it looks awesome for sports (Suns, Lakers, Washington Huskies, etc) and it represents the area well. I wouldn't mind a simplified "A" logo, but changing the colors is lame, we won a World Series in purple, why change it?

EDIT: And if they HAVE to change a color, why not ditch the teal? Its not very vibrant and seems different on each uni, and rarely used. Maybe just replace it w/ copper since they seem to use that more anyway.

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
If this is true - i think the chances of me purchasing a jersey and hat go up exponentially! The new color scheme sounds real nice....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060831&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

A highly classified communiqué arrived at Uni Watch HQ the other day, courtesy of an anonymous source with the Arizona Diamondbacks. After extensive decoding by the Uni Watch cryptographers, here's the full text of the message:

"I work for the Arizona Diamondbacks Team Shop, and I've got a juicy tidbit I know you'll be interested in: The DBacks are losing the purple for 2007. Their color scheme is apparently going to be a sandy type of red with black trim. Former DBack Matt Williams (who's now with the front office) modeled the new uniforms for a group of season ticket holders. They were told to keep it under their hats, but I guess they have as hard a time keeping their mouths shut as I do."

Uni Watch was excited but suspicious. Might this be an enemy spy, or perhaps a merry prankster, looking to have a bit of fun at Uni Watch's purple-averse expense? (Don't scoff -- just last week, longtime Uni Watch pal/antagonist the Rev. Nørb showed up at a Uni Watch gathering in Milwaukee with a seemingly endless supply of purple jerseys -- and brought along some additional purple party favors for good measure. But Uni Watch digresses …)

"No, it's for real," the source insisted. "Our bosses put a stop on all orders of DBacks merch back in April. We all thought it was weird to stop ordering merchandise in the first month of the season. Then we started hearing the rumors about the meeting with Matt Williams. At first I thought it was bogus, but we started hearing it from a whole lot of people. They were all saying the same thing: The uniform was red, white, and black, and the main logo was a 'D' that was similar to the current D/snake logo, but more realistic-looking."

A jubilant Uni Watch happily counts this as the latest in an encouraging string of defeats for the sports world's most loathsome color. As most of you probably know, the Bucks recently banished purple from their logo (new uniforms, presumably based on the updated color scheme, are set to debut shortly), and images of a purple-free Raptors uni, taken from the new NBA 2K7 video game, have been circulating, as well. Of course, a few teams will always be hopeless, but it's now clear that victory, dear comrades, is within our grasp.

Thank you God.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the colors, but what bothers me the most os the multiple schemes and whopping differences betwen home and road.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
In the words of Johnny Drama, "Victory!"

:cheers: :beer::thewave::band:

Seriously though this was a good move by the organization and not a surprising one. The ownership group is different from the original Colangelo group. With Gonzo potentially being gone next year, it will signal the end of an era. As fans I think we tend to associate jerseys with an era. The mid 90's Suns teams and jerseys were different from the 80's and 70's jerseys and squads respectively. Old school Coyotes jerseys with the Tkachuk and Roenick years differ mightly with our image now. Organizations change direction frequently, as do players and the overall identity. As much as I am glad to get rid of purple, I will miss it because of the era it represents. After all we did win a World Series in the current duds. However it is time to move on and usher in a new generation of Dbacks. The team will have a completely new identity to shape so why not give em new uniforms? I just can't wait to see them. Maybe I will be able to represent my own squad instead of someone else's.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Im thinking like the astros new hats (brick red)

Please no barbeque sauce-colored jerseys. :|

I really like our road uniforms. Just emphasize the black and copper, go with the snake-D logo exclusively, use purple as a secondary color, and ditch the teal.

I hope it isn't true that we're changing EVERYTHING a whopping 9 years after joining the league.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I dont like purple too much and love red, so I should be happy.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Purple was pretty lame.... I like the changes for the coyotes, hopefully these will look good too

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Its official

D-Backs changing their colors
Team expected to dump the purple, bring on the red

Nick Piecoro
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 1, 2006

Red is the new purple.

The Diamondbacks are expected to unveil new colors and uniforms at the end of this season, replacing the organization's signature purple with a brick red and tan color scheme that will give the team a makeover heading into its 10th season in existence.

Specifics of the club's new look, first reported by ESPN.com earlier this week after a team shop employee apparently leaked word of the changes to the Web site, could not be confirmed by the organization because of baseball's regulations.

“Major League Baseball rules prohibit us from providing any details regarding proposed uniform or branding changes,” Diamondbacks Executive Vice President Derrick Hall said. “But I can confirm that there will be some changes for next season and that we are extremely excited about those changes.”

Rules prevent an unveiling from taking place before the end of the World Series.

The club's current colors date to 1995, when Arizona was granted an expansion team and announced that its colors would be turquoise, copper, black and purple.

Turquoise and copper are Arizona colors, while purple was a favorite of Jerry Colangelo, the Suns president who was then the Diamondbacks' managing general partner.

The club is expected to tie in the new red color to the state, according to a league source. The red will be a “Sedona red,” conjuring images of the area's picturesque red rocks.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
This is good and bad. The color change hopefully will be good and the fact that all the old merchandise will be on sale big time. The bad is the new merchandise is gonna be expensive.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Also, for the sake of continuity, the team's "A" logo is not expected to change much, though, the secondary "D" logo will receive an update and be more modern looking. It's not known for sure which logo will appear on the team's hats or what color the hats will be. Currently the team wears purple caps with the "A" logo at home and black caps with the "D" logo on the road."

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...t_id=1640230&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm stoked... If it's a brick red like someone before said about the Astros hats and unis, these are gonna be sweet. I hate the purple and teal with a passion. I'm thinking brick red, sandy brown and block is going to look very nice. I may even bring myself to actually buy a Dbacks hat now that they won't be horrid looking. I'm not a huge fan of the snake D on the hats and I wish they would just do away with it. But it would definitely be an upgrade nonetheless.

Patriot24

Reaction score
Colors

I couldn't help but open photshop and screw around for a few minutes. I really didn't spend a lot of time on this, but you'll get the idea.

**NOTE: THESE ARE MY CONCEPTUAL COLOR SCHEMES**

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I'd say at least give it a chance...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Black and red, how freakin' creative! Puke.

You shouldnt go changing your brand this early in the game, colors and logos are part of a tradition. The purple and current logos are part of a winning tradition, why change that?

Now, if you are a team like the AZ Cards who have done nothing but lose for all eternity and now play in an area sans Cardinals, maybe you should change it up.

Ug, so lame, stupid macho guys afraid of purple. At least I still have the Suns.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Love the move.

The current color scheme is horrid. Except if you're into that kind of stuff. Half the gear looks like it was purchased off the clearance rack at Wal-Mart.

Hopefully, the new uni's will be simple. Get rid of the "artistic" designs and go traditional.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
I agree sly. Get rid of the black and the pinstripes while they're at it. Put a stripe down the pants and be done with it....

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Black and red, how freakin' creative! Puke.

You shouldnt go changing your brand this early in the game, colors and logos are part of a tradition. The purple and current logos are part of a winning tradition, why change that?

Now, if you are a team like the AZ Cards who have done nothing but lose for all eternity and now play in an area sans Cardinals, maybe you should change it up.

Ug, so lame, stupid macho guys afraid of purple. At least I still have the Suns.

:biglaugh:

.....And don't talk trash about my cards:mad:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05