Grant Hill Reportedly Leaning Toward Knicks

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am all for tanking the season and landing a High Lottery pick, I want to see Perry Jones as a Sun, time to blow it up and add 2 max free agents. I hate this Suns team, There old and Soft!!!!!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217076/Grant_Hill_Reportedly_Leaning_Toward_Knicks

Grant Hill’s interest in joining the Knicks and being slotted as their starting shooting guard on a potential Eastern Conference contender is growing by the day, and there is a sense he is leaning toward that option.

The Bulls and Clippers have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Hill, who has played the past three seasons with the Suns.
Hill would be playing in the New York spotlight, where a basketball renaissance has taken place.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...eportedly_Leaning_Toward_Knicks#ixzz1frziE8A0

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I like Perry Jones but I like some guys better than him. (Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, Brad Beal and maybe Jeremy Lamb and Kidd-Gilchrist)

That said yh if they lose Grant Hill there is no point in trying to be mediocre this year at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOOD!

He should go there and that would pretty much force us to trade Nash IMO.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is potentially good news. Let's hope Grant is in Steve's ear. This is the perfect year to suck.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The place to be this summer is the draft, with as many lotto picks as possible. Outside of the top few FA's its not that enticing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Hill goes to NY I could see Nash wanting to follow. Does NY have anything to offer for Nash?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The place to be this summer is the draft, with as many lotto picks as possible. Outside of the top few FA's its not that enticing.

Even in the 20s there will be better players than Morris next year.

I have a list of about 20 prospects that I would be excited about having them on the Suns. I see many potential allstars in college basketball right now. More than I can remember in a long time.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Even in the 20s there will be better players than Morris next year.

I have a list of about 20 prospects that I would be excited about having them on the Suns. I see many potential allstars in college basketball right now. More than I can remember in a long time.

If there are 20 amazing players in the draft, doesn't that mean that we and 19 other teams will greatly improve? That puts us in the same situation as before.
There is no advantage in tanking in a super rich draft that you are describing.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Beats the heck out of rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there are 20 amazing players in the draft, doesn't that mean that we and 19 other teams will greatly improve? That puts us in the same situation as before.
There is no advantage in tanking in a super rich draft that you are describing.

Well there is something to be said for skimming the cream off the top. However, if the Suns are really bad they won't have to tank. Anyway I don't think tanking is in their DNA.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keep in mind, this is the NY Post. It usually isn't reliable enough to line a canary cage.
It seems to me that the NY reporters are purposely distorting the truth here. The latest NY article's title had "Hill on the verge of signing with Knicks" but sources outside of NY reiterate that Hill has not made his choice yet. For what it's worth, Hill continued to work out with the Suns players yesterday.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So much for Hill being "on the verge" of signing with NY. NY is now trying to free up cap space to sign Chandler, so Hill is no longer in their picture.

Reportedly, Hill will choose between the Suns and the Spurs and make his decision today. The Suns are likely only offering a one-year deal whereas Spurs are probably offering an option for a second year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/33962/spurs-or-suns-for-grant-hill

If I were the Suns management and really wanted to keep Hill without hurting next year's cap space, I'd give him a one-year $5M deal. This way he could choose to re-sign next year for the minimum and still get paid what he would over the course of a two-year contract. From the Suns perspective, they can afford it this year without going into LT and without lowering their cap space for next season.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were the Suns management and really wanted to keep Hill without hurting next year's cap space, I'd give him a one-year $5M deal. This way he could choose to re-sign next year for the minimum and still get paid what he would over the course of a two-year contract. From the Suns perspective, they can afford it this year without going into LT and without lowering their cap space for next season.

Sounds reasonable.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So much for Hill being "on the verge" of signing with NY. NY is now trying to free up cap space to sign Chandler, so Hill is no longer in their picture.

Reportedly, Hill will choose between the Suns and the Spurs and make his decision today. The Suns are likely only offering a one-year deal whereas Spurs are probably offering an option for a second year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/33962/spurs-or-suns-for-grant-hill

They said on the 6:00 pm channel 12 news broadcast that the Suns offer reportedly was a 2 year deal at $5 million a year. :shrug:

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They said on the 6:00 pm channel 12 news broadcast that the Suns offer reportedly was a 2 year deal at $5 million a year. :shrug:

why the **** would we tie up 5 million dollars in cap space on Grant Hill next year?!

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't imagine that the Suns would offer that unless the second year is a team option. And I can't imagine Hill would walk away from that if it wasn't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the love of God, Grant! Please, go play somewhere you have a chance to WIN and enjoy the last couple years of your career by playing meaningful games. You're one of the good guys! Go chase a ring dude!

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
In the Coro article it basically says that if Grant goes elsewhere, working for the Suns club after retirement is taken off the table as well.

IMO, if Grant signs elsewhere, then we might as well entertain trade offers for Nash and try to get the startings of a rebuild to help attract better FA's next summer. Nash and Grant are very close friends and Nash has been imploring the Suns to re-sign him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Coro article it basically says that if Grant goes elsewhere, working for the Suns club after retirement is taken off the table as well.

this seems odd, doesn't it? I mean, if you like the guy... but aren't willing to give him market rate and he goes to get that and a chance to win, why wouldn't he be welcomed back if you think he brings something to the table after he retires?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure Grant Hill is disappointed about the job thing. Not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake