GREAT Tim Tebow article...it's a MUST READ for anyone interested in the draft

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tebow was a great college QB. That's the last time you will hear great and football next to his name.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
really kind of worthless - no one is going to say jamarcus russell is an amazingly accurate QB - the guy has completed 52% of his passes as a pro and has a career rating of 65

however he was close to a 100 rated QB in college and completed 62% of his passes - his completion % and career rating are about that of peyton manning ..... so it's obvious he only needs a little more time, right?!

daunte culpepper completed 73.6% of his passes in college

the game gets a little bit different when the talent level equals out, you face legit pass rushers, DBs make better and faster reads and your room for error dips greatly

how many times has tebow done that move where he fakes a draw by taking a step toward the line drawing the defense in and then is able to drop back in the pocket and throw a long bomb to a wide open receiver who has plenty of time and space to make adjustments

in the NFL that's a sack or an interception

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I hate Florida and am not a religious man in the least.

Tebow is an animal. I find it amusing that this man is persecuted for having a faith. Pro sports these days are full of degenerate scumbags whose jerseys we buy for our kids, but people want to hate on Tebow because he made a commercial asking people not to kill their children.

As long as he doesn't get grabbed up by a pathetic franchise I truly believe he will be a good-great NFL quarterback. The truth of the matter is that his race and religion have killed his rep. People just can't fathom that a white guy could be a mobile QB in today's game and anyone who believes in a higher being must be too stupid to succeed at the most cerebral position in professional sports. He was twice the QB Vince Young was in college; bigger, stronger, more accurate and smarter. The guy ran .02 seconds slower in the 40 than Young, but everyone says he is too slow to ever run and not a good enough passer to be successful in the NFL??

I think people will be surprised at how early he ends up going next month.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I hate Florida and am not a religious man in the least.

Tebow is an animal. I find it amusing that this man is persecuted for having a faith. Pro sports these days are full of degenerate scumbags whose jerseys we buy for our kids, but people want to hate on Tebow because he made a commercial asking people not to kill their children.

As long as he doesn't get grabbed up by a pathetic franchise I truly believe he will be a good-great NFL quarterback. The truth of the matter is that his race and religion have killed his rep. People just can't fathom that a white guy could be a mobile QB in today's game and anyone who believes in a higher being must be too stupid to succeed at the most cerebral position in professional sports. He was twice the QB Vince Young was in college; bigger, stronger, more accurate and smarter. The guy ran .02 seconds slower in the 40 than Young, but everyone says he is too slow to ever run and not a good enough passer to be successful in the NFL??

Not me, I think he is drafted in the first round.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Poppycock. I don't think Tebow will be a bad QB in the NFL because he loves Jesus or because he's white. I think that he'll be a bad QB because he played in a college offense that has yet to create an NFL success story (how's Alex Smith working out?), and because he holds the ball at his waist when he drops back (which he's only started doing in the last three months.

What the writer is failing to mention is that Peyton, Eli, and Stafford didn't play in shotgun spread offenses. They played in much more traditional pro-style offenses. That leads to lower completion percentages and smaller YPAs, but it also leaves those guys much more prepared to enter the League.

Also, the writer is being naive to suggest that everyone couldn't help but say that Russell was ready for the NFL. Very few draft gurus were saying that when he declared. He was the product of a good bowl game against a terrible Notre Dame squad, and that's why he was taken #1 overall. Very few people were saying that he was mentally ready for the NFL.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
It really gets hard to make comparisons between college and pro players for more reasons than just ability. Many good college QB's never get to see the light of day, because they end up as a back-up/trainee behind someone like Kurt Warner, Eli Manning, Payton Manning, Drew Brees, etc. It is rare that they even get to practice with the number one receivers and O-linemen on their pro teams. It is even more rare that they get to showcase their skills in a game with the first unit. Because of this, many begin to have lingering doubts about their own capabilityes, and their confidence begins to fade. Remember the biggest difference between pros and college is in the head. Confidence is the biggest factor in whether or not you make it in the pros, among players of similar ability.

On the opposite end are those who are so badly needed when they are drafted, that they are thrown into combat immediately, and are just not ready for it. Most don't have the opportunity to grow up in a pro QB household like the Mannings did. There is sooooo much more that they have to learn at the next level that was never considered in college. Many of these types also get their confidence shattered right away, and some never get it back.

So I would say that OPPORTUNITY to be in the right place at the right time has a great bearing on how a college QB fares in the pros. While there are many ways to get help, there are many more to get hurt by the position you are drafted into and the opportunity you have to learn or to be forgotten, or even thrown to the wolves.

chickenhead

Reaction score
So I would say that OPPORTUNITY to be in the right place at the right time has a great bearing on how a college QB fares in the pros. While there are many ways to get help, there are many more to get hurt by the position you are drafted into and the opportunity you have to learn or to be forgotten, or even thrown to the wolves.

Right on. A major factor here is which team drafts him and why. In my lifetime I've seen Peyton Manning and Brett Favre win one Super Bowl. I've also seen Jim McMahon and Trent Dilfer win one Super Bowl. (Not to mention Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, and Brad Johnson--though I'm not comparing them to Tebow as players).

A really general statement, I know. But who selects him next month will be as big a factor in his NFL success as I can think of.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poppycock. I don't think Tebow will be a bad QB in the NFL because he loves Jesus or because he's white. I think that he'll be a bad QB because he played in a college offense that has yet to create an NFL success story (how's Alex Smith working out?), and because he holds the ball at his waist when he drops back (which he's only started doing in the last three months.

What the writer is failing to mention is that Peyton, Eli, and Stafford didn't play in shotgun spread offenses. They played in much more traditional pro-style offenses. That leads to lower completion percentages and smaller YPAs, but it also leaves those guys much more prepared to enter the League.

Also, the writer is being naive to suggest that everyone couldn't help but say that Russell was ready for the NFL. Very few draft gurus were saying that when he declared. He was the product of a good bowl game against a terrible Notre Dame squad, and that's why he was taken #1 overall. Very few people were saying that he was mentally ready for the NFL.

I totally agree.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Bad article.

All of the QBs used in the article sans Couch ran a pro-style offense in college, and comparing JaMarcus Russell to the likes of Peyton Manning really doesn't amount to much when it comes to projecting Tebow's success.

People hate Tebow because he's white and mobile? LMAO. Now I've heard everything.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

:thumbup: Spot on, K9.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

This.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Agree. I think he might even go in the first. Tebow will be a stud QB in the NFL.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I tried to make this point yesterday. Sometimes you just have to look beyond what you see with your eyes and judge a guy by what he has produced. When a player was so dominant in college it seems crazy that anyone would even consider letting him pass at #2 or #3. In particular if you need a QB. This guy seems to have that something special or intangible that defies description. I know that can be said of other failures but if I could get him at #3 in our situation I would sure pull the trigger. I will not be surprised to see some team to take him in round 2 if they need a QB or have multiple picks. This guy could not be just lucky for 4 straight years. There are probably various teams out there saying bad things about him in hopes of stealing him with some late pick. I doubt that is going to happen.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think his point with the race comment was that if Tebow was black, people would be clamoring for someone to give him a shot, because for whatever reason the media/nfl love to darling gimmick qb's as long as they are black.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad article.

All of the QBs used in the article sans Couch ran a pro-style offense in college, and comparing JaMarcus Russell to the likes of Peyton Manning really doesn't amount to much when it comes to projecting Tebow's success.

People hate Tebow because he's white and mobile? LMAO. Now I've heard everything.

Where did I say this? I said people really don't think he's mobile because he's whilte. Big difference.

What would you say are the reasons that so many thought that Toby Gerhart would be better as a FB in the NFL until he ran that 4.5 in the combine and had proof of speed on paper. He's the same size as LaGarrette Blount and Jonathan Dwyer but faster. Did you hear anyone saying they should be FBs at the next level?? I don't think it should come as that big of a surprise to you that in sports, white players are typically perceived as slow.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Look at player D. It isn't that far off Tim Tebow. That will tell you everything. Player D is by far the worst QB in the NFL. His stats are basically reversed. Why wouldn't Tebow's be? After all, we have a QB named Matt Leinart, that just as well can explain you the difference among the two levels.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Article is lame...Race is not factor...he was a great college qb and will be an avg. to below avg. NFL QB...

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at player D. It isn't that far off Tim Tebow. That will tell you everything. Player D is by far the worst QB in the NFL. His stats are basically reversed. Why wouldn't Tebow's be? After all, we have a QB named Matt Leinart, that just as well can explain you the difference among the two levels.

Russell's NFL failure is 100% attributed to stupidity and laziness, two shortcomings that Tebow obviously does not suffer from. Trying to equate them is impossible. Furthermore, Jamarcus Russell is just evidence as to how amazing America is (was prior to Hussien). Where else could such idiots hold such high paying jobs. All you had to do was hear the moron speak one sentence and you knew he'd never made it. i wouldn't have taken him before the 5th round.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Daniels will be the #2 in NO this year, watch out :D. He did look really good in the preseason games for the Skins last year though.

He's short but if I had to bet I'd bet on Chase being a good NFL QB if ever given the chance.

I'll tell you this, I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat as the number 2, time will tell on the number one thing.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Not a big fan of Tebows. I, like most of those who agree with my point of view, feel that his game does not translate well to the NFL.

He may be a first rounder, but that says more about 1) how void of top end QB talent is in this draft and 2)how desperate teams are for QBs and willing to reach in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle.