Greetings Suns Fans-I look forward to a spirited competition.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Splitter sucks and he will never play in the NBA anyway. That was a wasted pick.

Parker and Ginobili were terrific finds, though.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I view the Spurs the same way I used to view the Braves: I won't make pronouncements until they're actually eliminated. Too many times you think their run is over, and it's not.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
cheesebeef: you misunderstood my post which was not clear. I just tried to show the difference between our FO's ability to draft good players and their mistakes in signing FA. Imagine the team above with three good free agent signings instead of crap ones. I know Jefferson has a huge contract and of course no team in the nba will only have drafted players on their roster.

elindholm: just curious, how much euro ball have you watched this season? I live in Europe and to say Splitter sucks is a bit harsh since he is considered to be one of the best big men here. In the games I've seen he has been a big contributor and he is very mobile for a big man. Can he compete in the nba? No one knows but I think he should be ok, not great but at least better than Bonner. Will he join the Spurs? Probably if he doesn't get a huge offer from a club like Real Madrid.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
elindholm: just curious, how much euro ball have you watched this season?

None.

I live in Europe and to say Splitter sucks is a bit harsh since he is considered to be one of the best big men here.

Yes, I know he has the reputation of a good European big man. I also know that flirted with the NBA draft for about five straight years, and that his stock got lower every time. That means that NBA scouts thought less of him the more they saw him. I also know that his best window of opportunity for coming to the NBA has already passed. By now, his upside is extremely limited, and no one projects him as an impact player in this league.

Will he join the Spurs? Probably if he doesn't get a huge offer from a club like Real Madrid.

Enjoy.

OP
OP
T

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I know he has the reputation of a good European big man. I also know that flirted with the NBA draft for about five straight years, and that his stock got lower every time. That means that NBA scouts thought less of him the more they saw him. I also know that his best window of opportunity for coming to the NBA has already passed. By now, his upside is extremely limited, and no one projects him as an impact player in this league.
The 5 years straight thing is easily explained that he was very content with Europe and the big money and the close to tax free life he was living. This isn't an Arvydas Sabonis situation in which, the guy comes to the L with good skills and damaged knees. He's a true 7'1" and 255 lbs. If he can spell Duncan minutes and hold the interior, the Spurs window is still cracked open. If he's like a taller, lighter version of Luis Scola, then it's a solid situation for the Spurs. The answers will only come IF he finally shows up and signs in San Antonio.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The 5 years straight thing is easily explained that he was very content with Europe and the big money and the close to tax free life he was living.

Then why declare for the draft at all? Answer: He hoped that he would be a projected higher pick. Each year, he lowered his expectations, and each year, the projections had him even lower than that.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then why declare for the draft at all? Answer: He hoped that he would be a projected higher pick. Each year, he lowered his expectations, and each year, the projections had him even lower than that.

Arguing with a Spurs fan about Tiago Splitter's potential is an odd way to celebrate such an amazing win.

::HIGH FIVE:: :)

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
elindholm: Ok so you are just trolling. I will spell out the reason why Splitter decided to stay in Europe: M..O..N..E..Y. Splitter played pro ball here until he had to declare for the draft, decided to stay and avoid the rookie scale. I think he just made good, rational decisions. Now, if he wants, he can go to the Spurs for about the MLE.

BTW I'm celebrating the upcoming fishing season with some nice beer. Cheers.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
elindholm: Ok so you are just trolling.

That might be the weirdest accusation that's ever been leveled at me.

You want to fantasize that Splitter is going to be a major player for the Spurs, go ahead. Just a week ago, you had the Spurs steamrolling the Suns in this series, so you already know that wanting something to happen doesn't necessarily mean that it will. It really doesn't matter to me whether you figure it out now or several years down the road.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
You said Splitter sucks and then admitted you never watch him play. What would you call that?

Who had the Spurs steamrolling the Suns? Not me. I think you just tend to assume things based on your own prejudice against Spurs fans.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
LOL @ Tiago Splitter hype hehehehe. The guy is as slow as molasses.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Tiago Splitter??? WTF?

Its all Goran baby. Lets talk about the players that are here and dominating.

Not some mythical unicorn bigman who may or may not grow the balls to come play against the best players in the world next year.

LOL Tiago Splitter

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That might be the weirdest accusation that's ever been leveled at me.

You want to fantasize that Splitter is going to be a major player for the Spurs, go ahead. Just a week ago, you had the Spurs steamrolling the Suns in this series, so you already know that wanting something to happen doesn't necessarily mean that it will. It really doesn't matter to me whether you figure it out now or several years down the road.

I'd love to have Tiago Splitter; I'd even trade the rights to Milos Vujanic for him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You said Splitter sucks and then admitted you never watch him play. What would you call that?

I know that a water molecule has two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, even though I've never split one myself. You don't have to witness something first-hand to accept the consensus of experts.

I think you just tend to assume things based on your own prejudice against Spurs fans.

My prejudice against Spurs fans who waste their time trolling Suns boards is that they aren't too bright and have personality defects. Are you offering yourself as a counterexample?

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
My prejudice against Suns fans is that they don't know **** but pretend to know ****.

elindholm: you are just a troll, spreading random biased opinions not supported by any facts whatsoever. Grow up, learn, try to behave with some class like for example steve nash or tim duncan.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My prejudice against Suns fans is that they don't know **** but pretend to know ****.

elindholm: you are just a troll, spreading random biased opinions not supported by any facts whatsoever. Grow up, learn, try to behave with some class like for example steve nash or tim duncan.

What a strange post...

Paragraph 1: TROLLING

Paragraph 2: Complaining about trolling

If you want to discuss the merits of Tiago Splitter, I suggest you do it on a Spurs board. You won't find anyone here who gives a crap about him. Sorry.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
elindholm: you are just a troll, spreading random biased opinions not supported by any facts whatsoever.

What are you talking about? It is a fact that Splitter dropped out of the draft several years in a row, and it is a fact that he was projected lower in each draft than he was in the one before it. In other words, his NBA stock peaked long ago, and he knows it. Those aren't "random biased opinions": they aren't random, or biased, or even opinions. They are facts. I guess you hadn't heard of Splitter until the Spurs drafted him, but among those of us who are past their teenage years, his name has been in circulation for a long time.

I guess you're angry at me for tearing down your Splitter fantasy, but don't shoot the messenger. It doesn't make any difference what I say; you'll figure it out on your own soon enough.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The butthurt is strong with this one.

You know what's funny about that video: What in the world is Barbosa doing? He's drawing another defender to Dragic for no reason. What does he expect to do with the ball if Dragic gives it to him, already trapped in the corner by two defenders?

Edit: Oops, I see that Andrew's alter-ego already beat me to this observation, oh well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You know what's funny about that video: What in the world is Barbosa doing? He's drawing another defender to Dragic for no reason. What does he expect to do with the ball if Dragic gives it to him, already trapped in the corner by two defenders?

Edit: Oops, I see that Andrew's alter-ego already beat me to this observation, oh well.

Wasn't Barbosa already there and Dragic himself moved over to that spot. Perhaps he was hoping LB would go baseline, but because George Hill was all over him, he decided to go for the foul. Making that shot was a bonus. (And one of the most bizarre and exciting makes I've ever seen)

Errntknght

Reaction score
This is a first, I agree with Chaplin about something.

My recollection is that Barbs was already there in the corner. In fact, I think he had the ball and was being harassed then Goran dropped down and Leandro flipped him the ball. I expected him to cut to the hoop but his defender apparently did, too, and backed off.

You could see that Dragic was trying to lure Hill into putting his arm where he could swipe his arm through it and draw a foul (one of the many NBA 'calls' I dislike.) I think it was not a smart move given the way the zebras were calling the game and the way Goran was shooting FTs, but this time it paid off, double dividends.

My reaction was not quite the same as Chaps - I don't enjoy a dumb move being rewarded because the guy is learning the wrong thing. Well, I did enjoy the demoralizing effect the 4 pt play had on the Spurs...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My recollection is that Barbs was already there in the corner. In fact, I think he had the ball and was being harassed then Goran dropped down and Leandro flipped him the ball.

Watch the full replay, for example on the YouTube compilation.