Griddles for a grill

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been considering getting a blackstone griddle, but I'm also kinda lazy. I have a built in natural gas line to my grill, I really don't want to deal with swapping the gas line everytime I want to swap between my grill and a black stone. I know that sounds super lazy but the way the line is built, it would be a huge pain in the ass.

My grill is a good one, I can get it crazy hot. What I want to buy is a grill top I can toss on there that will function like a black stone.

There are a lot out there but the reviews are all over the place.

Has anyone tried one? Basically a either stainless steel or cast iron that you toss on top of a typical grill?

Functionality, ease of cleaning... good for burgers,steaks, bacon, eggs, veggies, fried rice? Basically, a griddle top for a grill.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd get a Lodge or Little Griddle.

I have a blackstone and it's ...eh okay. I'm not super impressed with the quality.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a Blackstone and really like it

You do have to be careful. I’m not allowing moisture to build up and keep it well seasoned.

I think for what you’re wanting though A removable griddle top for your grill would be better

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Moisture kills my blackstone here. It's covered, well seasoned and she still rusts like a 1984 Chevy truck. I have other grills that are just much superior in build quality that I have zero rust issues with.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moisture kills my blackstone here. It's covered, well seasoned and she still rusts like a 1984 Chevy truck. I have other grills that are just much superior in build quality that I have zero rust issues with.
They make silicone mats for storage which seem to help a lot

On the Blackstone Facebook pages that seems to be a solution that’s working for many people that live in South Canada like you

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They make silicone mats for storage which seem to help a lot

On the Blackstone Facebook pages that seems to be a solution that’s working for many people that live in South Canada like you

South Canada, eh? I'll have to check them out!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I really wanted a Blackstone until I read this thread. I'm terrible at grill maintenance due to my laziness.

I have a Camp Chef pellet grill with a grill attachment.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have the Apex?
I have the Camp Chef Woodwind 36 or something like that. The biggest one they made when I bought it in like 2020 or early 2021.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decent quality?
Overall I'm happy with it, yes. I have to do a deep clean on it about once a year to get the drippings and the like, but that is like any other grill.

The app isn't as good as Traeger and that's its biggest knock.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

I purchased these are a replacement for my grill grates, and I've been very pleased. One side is a traditional grill grate, and when you flip it, it operates like a griddle. Much easier for veggies/fish. I wouldn't do fried rice on it, but otherwise am very happy with the results/cleanup.