Griffith Hit on Vernon Davis

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Great hit
2. There was not helmet-to-helmet contact
3. There were a TON of big hits this weekend across the NFL. More in a single weekend than I can ever recall.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Great play by Griffith, bad call by the officials.

I also don't understand how the officials messed up the review. It looked to me like the ground knocked the ball loose which would make it an incomplete pass.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also don't understand how the officials messed up the review. It looked to me like the ground knocked the ball loose which would make it an incomplete pass.

He did knock the ball loose, but there was no way to determine if the ball actually hit the ground. I thought that it did, but if it did, it was so close that you couldn't tell.

If that was a helmet to helmet hit, we would have left in a stretcher.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

THe ball never hit the ground. It wasn't even close to the ground. Ergo, no matter if it was loose, he ended up possessing it before he got up off the ground.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
THe ball never hit the ground. It wasn't even close to the ground. Ergo, no matter if it was loose, he ended up possessing it before he got up off the ground.

When it was in his arm and Davis hit the ground I thought the ball popped loose due to it hitting the ground. Now if the ball hit the ground or just his arm did is a question but it was close.

It was probably too close to call (overturn) and no matter anyway. I just thought we got double screwed on that play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 things that pissed me off about this game from the announcers, Pitts saying Leinart stays in the pocket while Warner buys time outside the pocket. I can give him a pass except he said it twice in a row so he didn't just misspeak.

And the incessant whining on the call by both announcers on Griffith "didn't look helmet to helmet to me". They didn't SAY helmet to helmet, they said "blow to the head" and it sure looked to me like Griff hit him in the head. The rule is defenseless WR blah blah it had nothing to do with helmet to helmet.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally clean hit! Idiotic call by the officials.
My girlfriend was walking thru the room when the play occured and asked "Are there mics on the players?" cuz the hit was so loud, I told her no that it was just a brutal hit....:thumbup:

Again guys watch the replay and listen to what the ref says. He does NOT say helmet to helmet, he says BLOW TO THE HEAD.

Sorry but it really bugs me when guys who get paid to broadcast games totally mislead the audience like that. They spent 5 minutes debating helmet to helmet but the call was blow to the head, period.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Again guys watch the replay and listen to what the ref says. He does NOT say helmet to helmet, he says BLOW TO THE HEAD.

Sorry but it really bugs me when guys who get paid to broadcast games totally mislead the audience like that. They spent 5 minutes debating helmet to helmet but the call was blow to the head, period.

Well, I watched the replays, and it wasn't a blow to the head either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I watched the replays, and it wasn't a blow to the head either.

Pretty sure it was his shoulder hit Davis in the head. Watch Griff, he's not debating the head part at all, he is just saying I used my shoulder pad.

FWIW Davis said he was a bit woozy when he got up because he got whacked in the head.

I just think the announcers were so much on that helmet to helmet thing that everyone forgets what the real call was, blow to the head. I actually expected that call as soon as it happened.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW Davis said he was a bit woozy when he got up because he got whacked in the head.
I haven't looked at it for shoulder to head contact yet, but lost of times the collision with the ground is just as bad as the hit itself. Being woozy alone mean he was hit in the head.

Again, not arguing your claim, just pointing out that lots of guys get up wozzy from a hit even if they get it clean in the sternum.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 things that pissed me off about this game from the announcers, Pitts saying Leinart stays in the pocket while Warner buys time outside the pocket. I can give him a pass except he said it twice in a row so he didn't just misspeak.

Actually, that was Palmer who said that Russ. And, you'd think he'd know better since he played with Warner when he was with the Giants.

But, if you look at just this single game, it might seem like he was correct. They called a couple of bootlegs for Warner and he threw on the run at least once too.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually, that was Palmer who said that Russ. And, you'd think he'd know better since he played with Warner when he was with the Giants.

But, if you look at just this single game, it might seem like he was correct. They called a couple of bootlegs for Warner and he threw on the run at least once too.

Warner may be a little bit more mobile than Herman Munster. Palmer is a fool.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So long as we're bagging on Warner again, did anyone else notice how heavy he looked in the face? Either he's put on weight, or the equipment manager gave him Bill Gramatica's helmet, 'cause his cheeks were really sqeezing out of that thing.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So long as we're bagging on Warner again, did anyone else notice how heavy he looked in the face? Either he's put on weight, or the equipment manager gave him Bill Gramatica's helmet, 'cause his cheeks were really sqeezing out of that thing.

Maybe he figured that look worked for Jim Plunkett, so he'd try it? :shrug:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warner may be a little bit more mobile than Herman Munster. Palmer is a fool.

I disagree. Palmer offered the best colour commentary we've had all year. The problem was Pitts, who evidently ate his game meal with the 49ers.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Vernon Davis has been a little cry baby punk his whole life. Good to see the rest of the Cards fans come around.
He's overrated too.

The hit was legal...god I can watch that again and again. Take that K2 wannabe.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Russ--

I watched the TIVO replay quite a bit --

first of all, due to the camera angle - its not totally clear

but looks like Griffith puts his shoulder right into Davis' upper chest -- as the two players hit, Davis' helmet comes forward (while the rest of him just stops) and there is helmet to helmet impact

If Griff had put his shoulder pad on Davis' earhole, his head might have come off

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
He was quoted in the AZ Rep saying the hit was "nothing" and that he had been "hit harder in college". What a ***. That hurt me just watching it...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ--

I watched the TIVO replay quite a bit --

first of all, due to the camera angle - its not totally clear

but looks like Griffith puts his shoulder right into Davis' upper chest -- as the two players hit, Davis' helmet comes forward (while the rest of him just stops) and there is helmet to helmet impact

If Griff had put his shoulder pad on Davis' earhole, his head might have come off

en fuego, that also what happens when you get whiplash. Your head comes forward, and snaps back quickly. If it were helmet to helmet, his helmet could not have gone forward, because Griffith's helmet would have prevented it.

Good hit, legal hit. I think that Griffith should be our Nickel back next year.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
en fuego, that also what happens when you get whiplash. Your head comes forward, and snaps back quickly. If it were helmet to helmet, his helmet could not have gone forward, because Griffith's helmet would have prevented it.

Good hit, legal hit. I think that Griffith should be our Nickel back next year.

Dime back, I think.

Nickel you usually add a CB, dime you often add a safety.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dime back, I think.

Nickel you usually add a CB, dime you often add a safety.
It depends on your personnel. We add Franscisco quite a bit in the nickle package. A team like Denver would add a CB because that's where thier talent is; our talent happens to be at safety.

That said, I don't think Griffth would make a good nickleback.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on your personnel. We add Franscisco quite a bit in the nickle package. A team like Denver would add a CB because that's where thier talent is; our talent happens to be at safety.

That said, I don't think Griffth would make a good nickleback.

Well, even with his jarring hits, I no longer see him as a starter. I want him to stick around in a depth role. Maybe a dime back would be better, but it is not like the depth that we have in the secondary is that much better.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, even with his jarring hits, I no longer see him as a starter. I want him to stick around in a depth role.
If that's the case, then he should be exactly what you describe: a backup. His hits don't make him better in coverage, and the reason you have a dime or nickle package on the field is because the offense is lined up to pass.