Grimm Hired by Cardinals as Asst HC/ OL Coach

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
So again I am thrilled we hired Grimm.

That said, anybody else surprised to hear Grimm say he doesn't know much about our players since he was trying to be our head coach?

I don't expect him to know their wives names or something like that but it does surprise me that he didn't familiarize himself with them before interviewing, wonder if that's one of the reasons we preferred Whiz?

Yup, it was a surprising remark.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Just when I'm ready to accept another horrid season...they go off and do something like this...

AND TOTALLY REDEEM THEMSELVES!!!!

This is exciting stuff...I kind think it may be too good to be true...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steel what you seem to be doing is hunting for the next reason to say the Bidwill's are cheap. Everytime they knock down one of your reason, you head off and look for the next one and I do mean look for.?

I didn't make the decision to not spend cap space. I don't make the budget decisions on what I am willing to spend for coaches. I don't look for these. They jump out at you.

This offseason [thus far] is showing that they are really behaving like one of the better run franchises but some don't want to admit that.

Sorry but we have heard this all before. This team is not one of the better run franchises and it takes more then one off season to prove that. Maybe I will look back in 2 years and say this season was the turning point. However, until that time this is still one of the worst franchises in the NFL.

First off, Wiz denies that the Cardinals are being cheap with ACs, this latest event suggests he is telling the truth. He also said that it wasn't true that they were cheap under DG. I might add that even if the salaries were in the lower percentile under DG, this does not mean they were cheap, for all we know those were the guys DG wanted.

I appreciate your opinion but how many ex-coaches have gone on the radio or done interviews stating just the opposite? There were several reports when DG was hired that they were going to limit his assistants budget. THAT WAS BEFORE he hired them. What happened? We had some of the lowest paid assistants last year. Your saying coincidence?

Wiz got a contract he is happy with or he wouldn't have signed up, how is that cheap ? Should they pull a BB Jnr and pay him 3x what he would accept ? Both sides got a deal they like, where is the cheap in that ?

The guy wanted an opportunity to be a HC. His salary was in the low 6 figures. A team comes to you and says here is your opportunity and by the way how does 2.5 million per year sound. Wouldn't you be happy? It is still cheap because the Cards knew that if they hired an OC or DC from another team they wouldn't have to pony up big cash.

The Cards still had over 10 million in availble cap space during the season. The Cards have had cap space left during the season every single year. I think the chart I read here placed them towards the middle of the pack in spending.

Here is my biggest problem. This team has had 1 playoff win in how many years? How many winning seaons? This team makes a profit every single year but continues to go cheap in SOME areas. Because of profit sharing in the NFL, this team could hire big name coaches and spend every doallar of the cap.... lose and still make a profit.

So for me, the Cards are only willing to go so far to put winner on the field. Sorry but with this franchises record I have a problem with that. Will things change? I hope so. But you can't say they have...yet.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That said, anybody else surprised to hear Grimm say he doesn't know much about our players since he was trying to be our head coach?

I don't expect him to know their wives names or something like that but it does surprise me that he didn't familiarize himself with them before interviewing, wonder if that's one of the reasons we preferred Whiz?

Russ,

I heard an interview with Whis where he said he was not properly prepared for his first interview with us. So, I'm sure he didn't know all our players that well either. It was after he got several calls saying, "That's a good situation, take a hard look at it" that he started to really consider us. Then, when we called him for the 2nd interview, he said he was prepared properly.

I'm sure Grimm was the same way, focused on the Steelers first. After all, he said he was here to "interview" the Cards as well.

I was surprised to hear Whis admit that, and that we gave him another interview. Someone must have been recommending him very highly IMO.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Just curious Russ... exactly what would you expect Grimm to "know" about our players? The season has been over less than a month. The feact that Grimm admits he might not "know much" about our players, does not at all suggest he didn't perform some degree of diligence prior to his interviews... He most likely simply answered a question - truthfully... But again, just curious as to how much you would expect him to "know" about our guys??

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, it was a surprising remark.

Well, I decided I like the fact that Grimm and Whisenhunt were both not afraid to admit they aren't all knowing. It tells me they are straight-shooters and not too worried about what other people think. Those answers were not politically smart, and I think that's great. McGinnis and Green were both so full of BS, I'm ready for a change in that too.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steel the point is they did spend all their cap money [and have done every year] so you can't use that as evidence they are cheap. Ineffective possibly but not cheap.

Wiz seems happy with the deal so it by definition isn't cheap. Are you saying they should have paid him more ?

I didn't say it IS one of the better run franchises. I said it is starting to behave like one. Time will tell if this trend continues.

As for AC salaries, really all that matters is now. What is the point in arguing over what may or may not have been the case with DG or the reason for it. Even in your Cheap Bidwill world, one could argue that they have learned from that mistake.

And then we finnaly come to the argument of last resort. When all other logical points have been made you end up at 'The Cardinals haven't won in xxx years, therefore I must be right'. You say this like we don't all have a promlem with the record but it isn't evidence of 'cheap', long term incompetence sure.

Did BB Snr's frugal ways factor in, I'm sure they did but you seem to still be looking for reasons to say little has changed.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to KTAR last night the host made a comment to the effect of ...

Given how enthusiastic Wiz was about Grimm when originally asked [just after he was hired], maybe we can use this as a benchmark to see if they really are willing to pay up for ACs.

I wonder how much Graves had to do with this...If he did (and he should have being the GM) then his stock just rose.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious Russ... exactly what would you expect Grimm to "know" about our players? The season has been over less than a month. The feact that Grimm admits he might not "know much" about our players, does not at all suggest he didn't perform some degree of diligence prior to his interviews... He most likely simply answered a question - truthfully... But again, just curious as to how much you would expect him to "know" about our guys??

I'm just saying if I'm interviewing Grimm and Whiz and I ask both given our personnel what do you see doing with the passing game.

Whiz might say Boldin reminds me a lot of both Randle El and Ward, and Fitz reminds me of Plaxico burress.

If Grimm answered that question with "well the one guy is tough and that kid that played at Pitt was great in college." I'd hire Whiz.

Not saying that's what happened just surprised me. if I were trying to be the coach I think I'd learn about the players before I interviewed at least a bit.

But AJ's comments make sense they're focussed on the Steelers job at that point not until they decided they wanted this job did it become a priority.

Just seemed odd Graves spoke about asking candidates to present their vision, not sure how you could do that not knowing much about the players on the team?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Steel the point is they did spend all their cap money [and have done every year] so you can't use that as evidence they are cheap. Ineffective possibly but not cheap.

Spending to the cap is not and should not be used as a form of if a team is cheap or not cheap. This goes for any side of the arguement. It is a mirage and says nothing about what a team actual spends. Its all about players salaries in a given year. I have already proven without a shadow of a doubt that the Cards are average in this department with facts and links.

And take this as a FO bash either, becuase it isnt, I am not saying this throw stones in what is a glass house right now, just pointing out what is and what isnt true, and trying to get people to understand the leagues economics better by dispelling many of the widely used myths.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like the Grimm hire as much as the next, but can someone explain why the Cards O-line, that went through 6 permutations, gave up 36 sacks and the much vaunted Steeler line gave up 49.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Grimm hire as much as the next, but can someone explain why the Cards O-line, that went through 6 permutations, gave up 36 sacks and the much vaunted Steeler line gave up 49.

Well because they were behind more this year, they threw the ball 150 more times this year than last. So the sacks went from 32 to 49.

That and Roethlisberger's offseason from hell.

I'd also suspect that they tend to run more deep patterns than we do so that would tend to lead to more sacks but that's just a hunch. We were a very short pass offense much of this season.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

:D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well because they were behind more this year, they threw the ball 150 more times this year than last. So the sacks went from 32 to 49.

That and Roethlisberger's offseason from hell.

It also seemed to me that Starks took a step back this year. I thought he struggled one-on-one.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he can light a fire under Oliver Ross and make him a quality starter as he was with the Steelers.

You could hear Ross say..."Holy Crap!!!! Now I have to get back to work"

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Do I hear the toasting of freshly caught crow ?

Not really. I haven't maintained they were cheap. The only thing I'm getting on them about is the worry that they'll force Pendy on Whiz. Not because of the money, but because they like him. Logically, therefore, this isn't something I need to eat crow on.

I may end up eating crow about Pendy. We'll see. It looks like they are giving Whiz the chance to find his own DC if he chooses. Hopefully, that is the case. I only got bent out of shape because you and others flipped out at the mere suggestion they might try to keep Pendy against the wishes of the HC. As it was a definite possibility, especially given Graves's comments, I rightfully argued the point.

Still hope we get rid of Pendy, but I am absolutely PSYCHED to get Grimm.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also seemed to me that Starks took a step back this year. I thought he struggled one-on-one.

I didn't see too many Steeler games I'm just guessing but teh most obvious reason their sacks went up is they threw the ball more.

When I did see them it seemed like Ben wasn't nearly as agile this year, understandably of course.

Reaction score

To me, Grimm appears to be a man of action and few words. So I don't find it surprising that in an interview situation, or press conference for that matter, that he wouldn't come across as smooth or as well as someone more verbally astute.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice hire on Grimm. Now if the Steeler would just release a DC so we could cut Clancy loose .

Are you on the release DC bandwagon also? Huh. I really think DC has the goods to be a successful Defensive Coordinator. Just as I believe several of the Cardinal players will flourish under real coaching. I bet Pendy starts the post-Green era with bringing his corners up about a quarter mile towards the line of scrimmage.

That alone will do wonders for our D.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score

I think a lot of it had to do with Big Jen holding onto the ball for too long. I'm not sure about injuries to the linemen.

njlawrence

RIP, Jim
Reaction score

I suspect he knows plenty about them, but I think he would want to keep them off guard a bit. Let them show him what they've got rather them he telling them what they've got.

I'd be willing to bet that he had something to say in his interview about what he would do with our OL. You know how intelligent hogs are!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05