Grimm Hired by Cardinals as Asst HC/ OL Coach

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a lot of it had to do with Big Jen holding onto the ball for too long. I'm not sure about injuries to the linemen.

They lost Randle El to free agency, Ward had hamstring problems throughout the season and missed several games; Bus retired; Rothlisberger had an appendectomy(plus cycle accident) and mssed several games & never got into game shape unti season was almost half over.
Bottom line is team had lots of problems coming off super bowl season.
Additionally, Grimm was OL for six years. He build and developed one of the best OLs in the league. Pitt had one of the best running games in the NFL. Look at his record over all the years not just the last year.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I haven't seen his salary released or even rumored anywhere..but the Cards always pay their coaches cheap so Whisenhunt must be shopping at blue light specials. :sarcasm:
Zeno,

I don't think the rumor is truth about the Cardinals being cheap on paying assistant coaches. They are not the highest paying in the league but I don't think cheap is entirely accurate. We have signed a lot of coaches quickly both this season and in the past two seasons. If these coaches were offered a low contract they would wait for another offer from a different team.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, I decided I like the fact that Grimm and Whisenhunt were both not afraid to admit they aren't all knowing. It tells me they are straight-shooters and not too worried about what other people think. Those answers were not politically smart, and I think that's great. McGinnis and Green were both so full of BS, I'm ready for a change in that too.

I agree.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very excitied about this hire hopefully this will improve our oline 2007 should be a fun season hopefully GO CARDS :)

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Awesome. Let's enjoy it while we have it- if the Cards have any success next year Grimm is as good as gone to be a H.C. Great move M.B. and R.G.!

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Because I am tired of hearing the same old refrain no matter what the Cardinals do. Anyone who is still grousing about them being cheap after what has transpired this year is so far off base, it's ridiculous.

Can we just stop bashing for bashings sake and appreciate what the Bidwills are doing to try and get this team to win.

To much bad karma. I never thought the Bidwills were cheap, they just didn't have revenue streams to spend to the cap. It makes sense now that they have the stadium that they would do right by the fans and do what it takes. This was the first season with new revenue. If they are still spending below the Cap 5 years from now then they are what we think they are.. THE WORST OWNERSHIP GROUP IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS....Good hiring of a coaching staff but they haven't done anything yet and only if the Bidwills get out of the way and let Football people run things will we start winning consistantly. They are what we think they are...until they prove otherwise. Hasn't happened in my 35 years of being a fan....history is not on there side.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Are you on the release DC bandwagon also? Huh. I really think DC has the goods to be a successful Defensive Coordinator. Just as I believe several of the Cardinal players will flourish under real coaching. I bet Pendy starts the post-Green era with bringing his corners up about a quarter mile towards the line of scrimmage.

That alone will do wonders for our D.

Well then, I guess we better not target Assante Samuel in free agency, as he constantly plays off, keeps the play in front of him, reads the QB, and breaks on the ball. Something that most CBs do, if anyone cared to watch anything but Cards' games. :D

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I was at an absolute low point when PFT was reporting that Sherman was hired as the new coach. I was ready to give up as i was not wanting to watch the injustice of my team being run by some retread idiot. Not to mention destroying the young QB's career.

And now this???

Are you freaking kidding me? The Bidwills not only get a young Sean Payton clone in Wiz but then they go out and get one of the best OL guys in the league??? Have we entered the twilight zone???

You have to be happy about 2 of the 7 potential HC interviews are on the staff. Grimm will light a fire under those lineman and I am so unbelievably excited. I read the bottom line while working out at the gym and litterally let out a yelp and jumped.

You my boy Bill!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To me, Grimm appears to be a man of action and few words. So I don't find it surprising that in an interview situation, or press conference for that matter, that he wouldn't come across as smooth or as well as someone more verbally astute.

A fat Gary Cooper?

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Can Grimm bring Ross out of the toilet? That would be great to see Ross actually earn his money this season.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To much bad karma. I never thought the Bidwills were cheap, they just didn't have revenue streams to spend to the cap. It makes sense now that they have the stadium that they would do right by the fans and do what it takes. This was the first season with new revenue. If they are still spending below the Cap 5 years from now then they are what we think they are.. THE WORST OWNERSHIP GROUP IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS....Good hiring of a coaching staff but they haven't done anything yet and only if the Bidwills get out of the way and let Football people run things will we start winning consistantly. They are what we think they are...until they prove otherwise. Hasn't happened in my 35 years of being a fan....history is not on there side.

This post wasn't pointed at you buddy. You and Stout and Cheese don't just make statements without backing up what you say and you don't make false statements. You are darksiders and you've been darksiders for as long as I've been here. I don't have a problem with realists.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the Bidwills?!?! :shock:

Should the fans like me who have had season tickets appreciate what has happened to this franchise year after year? However, you can easily do a little math to see that if there is 32 teams in the NFL no 1 or 2 coaches are going to skew the number that much.

Bottom line is the average is around 3 million. The reports after the firing of DG was that the Cards were not willing to spend big money again on a coach. That to me says CHEAP. Are you trying to tell me with this teams history of what they have paid previous coaches, having some of the lowest paid assistants and hiring the WHIZ for less then average doesn't say CHEAP??????

This is BS. That's your take on the situation. Even JoeShmo has said that the Cards weren't the lowest paid team for assistants, but that they are in the bottom 1/3. Are you saying they should have paid Whiz more just so you would feel better? It's a good thing you aren't in business. You'd be broke in 2 weeks.

I have given the Cards credit for making runs a free agents. I gave the Card credit for hiring a big name coach in Green. But my problem with the Cards is that for every example of them spending money there is an example of them doing things like saving CAP space, having the lowest paid assistants in the NFL under Green.

Once again you are wrong. The Cards did not have the lowest paid assistants. See above.

The Cards have gotten better in the spending category in terms of when they first got here. Again I give them credit there. However, as sick of you are of hearing people bash the Cards, I am sick of people saying "they have changed" when the jury is still out big time on that.

I guess you are saying this because you haven't followed this team for very long. Anyone who's been around 5 years or longer knows that the Cards are spending money like drunken sailors compared to the way they used to spend. Say what you want about the results, the fact is that the Cards have been anything but cheap for the past 3 years. Your refrain is old hat and doesn't pertain to today.

So do I bash the Cards? Yes I do. I also give them credit where credit is do. But it's hard to ask fans to appreciate the Bidwills and give them the benefit of the doubt when clearly history says they don't deserve it.

Again your opinion and the fact that you would rather use old history than new history. Your perogative.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This post wasn't pointed at you buddy. You and Stout and Cheese don't just make statements without backing up what you say and you don't make false statements. You are darksiders and you've been darksiders for as long as I've been here. I don't have a problem with realists.

*vader breathing* Hey! *vader breathing* Who you callin' darksider? *vader breathing*

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well then, I guess we better not target Assante Samuel in free agency, as he constantly plays off, keeps the play in front of him, reads the QB, and breaks on the ball. Something that most CBs do, if anyone cared to watch anything but Cards' games. :D

Assante Samuel is a damn good cover corner.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw the news--slow. I'm mildly hyped by this. I don't care too much how much the Bidwills are paying the coaches, as long as they get results. There's no guarantee of that, no matter what the coaching track record, or even talent, are. I was really hopeful when Green signed, too.... So I say to MB, "Good job, no matter how cheap--now just don't screw it up."

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
So did Pittsburgh go with the cheaper option?

Steelers owner sorry Grimm 'got wrong impression' about post

Jan. 23, 2007
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers denied a rumor that assistant Russ Grimm was offered the head coaching job last weekend before the club withdrew the deal and offered it to Mike Tomlin instead.

Three sources close to the club indicated the Steelers first offered Grimm the job last Saturday, told him a contract was in place and that he could tell his family he would be the successor to Bill Cowher. And they did this, sources said, despite reports that Minnesota assistant Mike Tomlin would get the job.

By the following afternoon, however, Grimm was told the Steelers had decided to "go into another direction," which is when news of the hiring of Tomlin started to gain momentum.

Not exactly true, said Pittsburgh president Arthur Rooney II.

"We did discuss an offer Saturday," said Rooney. "So that part is true. Obviously, we made Russ a finalist and felt he could do the job. He was a very serious candidate.

"And we did discuss numbers Saturday. That's also true. But we also discussed numbers with Mike Tomlin's people, too. And the discussion of numbers was something we wanted to have out of the way before we made a final decision on it.

Mike Tomlin got the job, though reports had the job going to Russ Grimm.

"We did tell Russ nothing would be final until Sunday. I feel bad if he got the wrong impression."

Rooney said he didn't recall anyone telling Grimm it was OK to notify his family that a decision had been made because, as Rooney said, one had not been made -- until Sunday afternoon.

"We didn't want to do anything until we finalized things," he said. "I believe what he was told was that he could tell people that we talked about an agreement, but that there was nothing further."

According to sources, Grimm was devastated by his failure to gain the job and wasn't sure he wanted to continue coaching. Rooney confirmed he spoke with Grimm Monday and said that Grimm notified him he would like to be released from his contract with the club.

Rooney said he agreed to allow teams to speak to Grimm, but that he remained under contract with the Steelers.

Subsequently, the Cardinals hired Grimm on Tuesday as assistant head coach/offensive line coach. The Cardinals are coached by Ken Whisenhunt, who was Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator last season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm a skeptic.
But a hopeful one.
I remember being fired up w/ the Greeen hiring, then becomong disgusted at the lack of precision and discipline the team showed under his rule.
We'll see what happens on opening day of the 2007 regular season...

:thumbup:

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
The Word--

DISCIPLINE!! That is exactly what our team needs, I loved it when I heard Whiz say that!

seesred

Reaction score
Why is everyone on the get rid of Pendy wagon? Last year he was some kind of super coach bringing the teams overall defensive rating to 8th in the league. Whne the offense finnaly started clicking with Matt and the offense held the ball so the defense wasn't playing 35-40 minutes they got better. I would not mind if they kept him and the Wiz focused on a ball control, time controlled game.

GBR

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
According to sources, Grimm was devastated by his failure to gain the job and wasn't sure he wanted to continue coaching. Rooney confirmed he spoke with Grimm Monday and said that Grimm notified him he would like to be released from his contract with the club.

Nothing like a pissed off coach with something to prove! I like!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that Clancy will stay but not as the DC. I think he may be in another position or at least share the job with someone.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is BS. That's your take on the situation. Even JoeShmo has said that the Cards weren't the lowest paid team for assistants, but that they are in the bottom 1/3. Are you saying they should have paid Whiz more just so you would feel better? It's a good thing you aren't in business. You'd be broke in 2 weeks.

And you what you believe is your take on the situation. Never said that paying Whiz would make me feel better. In fact if he works out they got a steal. Was only making the point that the Cards had already decided their coaching budget and stuck to it. Mike Sherman is proof of that. The Cards are never willing to go all the way to make this team a winner. To me they should be doing everything possible. Their winning percentage and playoff success proves that.

Your also kidding yourself if you think the Cards would be broke by doing such things. The revenue sharing in the NFL assures the Cards would make money even if they spent every dime of the cap and went out and got good coaches. Now add in Stadium revenue? Come on.

Once again you are wrong. The Cards did not have the lowest paid assistants. See above.

Ok, so they were near the bottom and not last. Wow, that's a big difference. It proves my point about their "budgeting" ways. How many years have we complained about quality coaches? Again, shouldn't this team be doing more then most of the rest of the league considering they have been at the bottom for most of the last 50 years?

I guess you are saying this because you haven't followed this team for very long. Anyone who's been around 5 years or longer knows that the Cards are spending money like drunken sailors compared to the way they used to spend. Say what you want about the results, the fact is that the Cards have been anything but cheap for the past 3 years. Your refrain is old hat and doesn't pertain to today.

I went to the very first Cards game and have followed this team from day one. The Cards are spending money like drunken sailers? Well they must be broke ones. Again, I have commended them for targeting certain free agents. I have commended them for IMPROVED spending. However, the Cards have gone out of their way to save a dime or 2 and close the pocket book once they get sticker shock from an aquisition or 2.

Again your opinion and the fact that you would rather use old history than new history. Your perogative.

And what you say is your opinion of which your entitled too and is your perogative. New History as you say hasn't happened yet. In 2 years I will be the first to say this was the turning point if things turn around. However, I have history period on my side. The Cards have alot to prove they have changed. In 2 years time I hope I can say they have changed too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05