Groin injury during Suns game to sideline Ginobili

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
Mike Monroe: Groin injury to sideline Ginobili indefinitely
Spurs guard Manu Ginobili suffered a strained muscle in his left groin in Wednesday's home loss to the Phoenix Suns and won't play when the Spurs meet the Seattle SuperSonics on Friday night at the AT&T Center.

Ginobili's status for Sunday's game against the Lakers, in Los Angeles, also is in question.

"I don't know how long he will be out," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after the Spurs' practice, "but he definitely will be out tomorrow (Friday)."

Popovich said Ginobili suffered the injury immediately after checking into Wednesday's game with 6 minutes left in the first quarter. Though he played through some discomfort and returned to the game in the second half, Popovich held him out of the bulk of the fourth quarter when it became apparent the injury was affecting his play.

"He felt something on his very first play of the game last night," Popovich said. "He tried to play on it. The doctors checked him at half and didn't think there was a defect -- just a little bit tight. That's why we started him in the third quarter, while he was still somewhat loose.

"It didn't really get any worse, didn't get any better, so I opted not to play him at all after I took him out early in the fourth quarter."

With the playoffs to begin next weekend, the Spurs will take no chances with Ginobili's health, regardless of the effect his absence might have on the team's potential playoff positioning in the closest Western Conference race in NBA history.

"It's pretty tight," Popovich said, "and I just don't want to take any chances with him."
------------------------------

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
To be honest, I suspected Ginobili was injured. He didn't do his usual trick of careening randomly into people and then flopping to get to the line. Bell did a good job of denying him, but it did look like Ginobili's mobility was compromised.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Ya it was odd seeing him not flopping. Its just not the same.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think bowen might have something to do with it.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score

Though he played through some discomfort and returned to the game in the second half, Popovich held him out of the bulk of the fourth quarter when it became apparent the injury was affecting his play.

"It didn't really get any worse, didn't get any better, so I opted not to play him at all after I took him out early in the fourth quarter."

I just figured that pop didn't play him in the 4th, as they were getting their butts handed to them.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That sucks for the Spurs if it is a lingering problem. Hopefully he will be right in time for the POs.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F the Spurs I don't care if they have injurys as we had them a few years too and no one felt bad for us. Screw them and any other team that gets special treatment come playoff time. Anything that makes the run through this ridiculous west easier should be welcomed!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The way Ginobili thrashes around, he's begging for an injury. If he didn't want to get hurt, he should have played more under control.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Being happy that anyone gets injured just because it helps your own cause is pretty lame. I for one hope all the teams have ALL their players healthy. Lets enjoy this incredible end of the season and soon to be amazing playoffs. If my team wins, I want it to be against the opposing teams at full strengh. Wouldnt the championship have more meaning that way?

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think Suns fans are happy that he's injured because it helps the Suns. I think they are happy because he is a dick and his flopping has injured a Suns player (Barbosa).

For example, Bynum being injured benefits the Suns, but no one was celebrating that.

Ginobilli and Bowen hold a special place in the hearts of Suns fans.

Kody Rumin

Registered
Reaction score
The Spurs probably won't need him for that Seattle game, but if he misses the Laker game that could be pretty big. We might actually want the Spurs to win that one, though, if it helps up win the division.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
The way Ginobili thrashes around, he's begging for an injury. If he didn't want to get hurt, he should have played more under control.

You know who he reminds me of? Sarunas Marciulionis. Out of control, crashing into people, flailing around...and taking a physical beating because of it. Ginobili is skilled. He doesn't need to play that way. It's disgusting and drags down the level of play.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
They don't want none of us. . they are tanking

The way the Spurs are playing right now, they probably don't want anyone. The Suns played a great game that night and waxed the Spurs. The Spurs were OK on defense, but the Suns shredded them to pieces in the 4th. The offense was a step slow and the ball rotation was late, allowing the defense to set and does not allow for open looks.

The way the Mavs are playing, they are the 1st round matchup nobody wants.

With all that said, I still have faith in my favourite team, the playoffs is a different animal.

Finally, Ginobili plays the way he plays, he uses his body an unpredictable path to get to the basket. He embellishes contact, but at least there was contact, I just don't understand how Suns fans could go up in arms in the most minor of issues that is related to the Spurs.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way the Spurs are playing right now, they probably don't want anyone. The Suns played a great game that night and waxed the Spurs. The Spurs were OK on defense, but the Suns shredded them to pieces in the 4th. The offense was a step slow and the ball rotation was late, allowing the defense to set and does not allow for open looks.

The way the Mavs are playing, they are the 1st round matchup nobody wants.

With all that said, I still have faith in my favourite team, the playoffs is a different animal.

Finally, Ginobili plays the way he plays, he uses his body an unpredictable path to get to the basket. He embellishes contact, but at least there was contact, I just don't understand how Suns fans could go up in arms in the most minor of issues that is related to the Spurs.

Bowen is obviously Bowen. (except to you) Ginobili has hurt Barbosa with his intentional flopping. These two will always be hated here. Especially after the series last year, I don't know why you would expect the otherwise.....

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
Bowen is obviously Bowen. (except to you) Ginobili has hurt Barbosa with his intentional flopping. These two will always be hated here. Especially after the series last year, I don't know why you would expect the otherwise.....

The thing is, back in 2005, the Suns were not critical of the Spurs. most fans accepted that the Suns lost to a better team and moved on, then the whining starts, and it reached a fevered pitch last year.

Spurs were actually known as a soft team prior to 2007, and then all of a sudden, they are the dirtiest team in NBA history. It's like the Suns have never seen the plays of the Jazz and the Bulls, those teams are just as, if not more physical than the Spurs. Just admit the fans are not happy with being eliminated last year by the Spurs and move on.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The thing is, back in 2005, the Suns were not critical of the Spurs. most fans accepted that the Suns lost to a better team and moved on, then the whining starts, and it reached a fevered pitch last year.

Spurs were actually known as a soft team prior to 2007, and then all of a sudden, they are the dirtiest team in NBA history. It's like the Suns have never seen the plays of the Jazz and the Bulls, those teams are just as, if not more physical than the Spurs. Just admit the fans are not happy with being eliminated last year by the Spurs and move on.

I agree that the Spurs are not as dirty as they get labeled. I know you and I disagree on Bowen, I still feel he is a dirty player, but I'm not going to slap that label on the entire team because of it. For every bit of class I personally feel that Bruce Bowen lacks, Tim Duncan has that and then some. I have nothing but respect for Duncan, I also like a few other members of the Spurs. I have a differing opinion then you on Manu and Bowen, but you're right, the Spurs do get that label unfairly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are now a troll in my eyes. Good job on that.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just now DCR really? This tool has been spewing nonsense for weeks, personally I can't believe he hasn't been banned for stupidity.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just now DCR really? This tool has been spewing nonsense for weeks, personally I can't believe he hasn't been banned for stupidity.

I give people the benefit of the doubt for much longer than most of you. Maybe it is my objectivity, or maybe it is my mod status. Even so.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mike Monroe: Groin injury to sideline Ginobili indefinitely
Spurs guard Manu Ginobili suffered a strained muscle in his left groin in Wednesday's home loss to the Phoenix Suns and won't play when the Spurs meet the Seattle SuperSonics on Friday night at the AT&T Center.

Ginobili's status for Sunday's game against the Lakers, in Los Angeles, also is in question.

"I don't know how long he will be out," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after the Spurs' practice, "but he definitely will be out tomorrow (Friday)."

Popovich said Ginobili suffered the injury immediately after checking into Wednesday's game with 6 minutes left in the first quarter. Though he played through some discomfort and returned to the game in the second half, Popovich held him out of the bulk of the fourth quarter when it became apparent the injury was affecting his play.

"He felt something on his very first play of the game last night," Popovich said. "He tried to play on it. The doctors checked him at half and didn't think there was a defect -- just a little bit tight. That's why we started him in the third quarter, while he was still somewhat loose.

With the playoffs to begin next weekend, the Spurs will take no chances with Ginobili's health, regardless of the effect his absence might have on the team's potential playoff positioning in the closest Western Conference race in NBA history.

"It's pretty tight," Popovich said, "and I just don't want to take any chances with him."
------------------------------

Gee,thats too bad.

nikko

Reaction score
The Spurs probably won't need him for that Seattle game, but if he misses the Laker game that could be pretty big. We might actually want the Spurs to win that one, though, if it helps up win the division.

Recently we (Spurs) can't score in the 4th qtr, unfortunately we could lose against Seattle without Manu.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05