Hartwig: Steelers not concerned about Cardinals

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this case it isn't about disrespect.

Its that the Steeler's players clearly think this game is wrapped up already. GOOD, that means a few of them will probably come out of the gate a little slow as the know this will be a walk in the park compared to thier schedule so far.

SteelCityMom

Rookie
Reaction score
I'd take more stock in what Hampton has to say than what Hartwig (who is a first year starter with the Steelers) has to say. Whether he was goaded into saying that, or just picked the wrong time to say the wrong thing I'm not sure. What I do know is is that Tomlin is extremely serious about this matchup...he's done a good job all year keeping the Steelers grounded and I don't expect that to change now.

I think a lot of players (at least the veteran ones) are less nervous this time around, but I think that just has to do with experiencing it before, they are not as overwhelmed by the media and the atmosphere like they were before.

I for one am not happy about Hartwig saying this though...so far players on both sides have done an excellent job at treating the opposing team with respect and I liked that. At the same time though, at least he didn't come out and pull a Joey Porter or Anthony Smith lol and call any of the players soft of guarantee a win lol.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are an arrogant bunch. One reporter asked a couple of them about the fact that the Cardinals wore suits or sharp looking clothing on the plane and at various media functions. While the Steelers have looked like they are going to Home Depot to buy extension cords. They replied, "We wear our uniforms on the field." And there was a strong implication that the Steelers are this team that has been there, done that and fully expect to do it again. The Cardinals are these "never were's".

I think Whiz is fully aware of that attitude and has informed the team of it.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is funny, Id go as far as to say that the steelers division is one of THE WORST in football. yep. playing the no offense ravens twice, then the browns and bungles? gimme a break.

who took the harder road to the SB?

Cardinals ----> Falcons, Panthers, Eagles

Steelers--> Chargers (LOL) Ravens (again!? lol)

Reaction score
They are an arrogant bunch. One reporter asked a couple of them about the fact that the Cardinals wore suits or sharp looking clothing on the plane and at various media functions. While the Steelers have looked like they are going to Home Depot to buy extension cords. They replied, "We wear our uniforms on the field." And there was a strong implication that the Steelers are this team that has been there, done that and fully expect to do it again. The Cardinals are these "never were's".

I think Whiz is fully aware of that attitude and has informed the team of it.

- Well, the Steelers HAVE been there before. There are several veterans on the team who were there for the ring 3 years ago. There is a lot less nervousness/overwhelming feelings than before.
- As for the "fully expect to do it again" part, maybe they do feel that way. But you find me one player on EITHER team who doesn't expect to win when they play a game! Steeler or Cardinal, if you're playing in this game, you were good enough to get there, and you SHOULD have the opinion that you can win. Otherwise, why take the field?
- Also, I have no doubt whatsoever that Mike Tomlin will be sure those guys are NOT overlooking this game. What one person says does not mirror the whole team (Justin Hartwig). Plus, like previously stated, media just tries to encourage the players into making "guarantee" type comments. They are NOT all going to do that. Joey Porter did it, but could at least back it up. When Anthony Smith did it, I think it was more along the lines of saying if we play our best, we can win, more than a guarantee, but people are gonna spin it how they choose.

Finally, while I love having so much football coverage, I think sometimes it goes into overload. They have to find something to talk about/write about for all those days of coverage! Thank goodness it's almost Sunday. Soon the guys on both teams can just do the talking on the field!

Reaction score
This is funny, Id go as far as to say that the steelers division is one of THE WORST in football. yep. playing the no offense ravens twice, then the browns and bungles? gimme a break.

Ok, maybe your playoff road has been tougher (maybe) if for no other reason than that you have had one more game than we have.

However, you are also bringing into the discussion regular season divisional games. So, you're saying the NFC West teams are offensive and/or defensive powerhouses? As compared to the Browns or the Bengals? LOL

None of that means anything. It's a one game season now.

steeler tim

Reaction score

I think going into that Charger game they and Indy were considered the 2 hottest teams playing. No way was the Steeler defense going to stop Rivers and Darren Sproles. Hmmm, sounds familiar. :wave:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If AZ is guilty of playing the "no respect" card, then PITT is guilty of playing the "we're pretty beat up and we hope that our guys will be ready" card.
Over & over i've heard this angle taken: Ben's pretty banged up but he'll just have to tough it out.
or
Hines is the heart & soul of our team and he's doing everything he can to rehab and get ready to go.
Blah blah
:barf:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I think going into that Charger game they and Indy were considered the 2 hottest teams playing. No way was the Steeler defense going to stop Rivers and Darren Sproles. Hmmm, sounds familiar. :wave:

Yeah, it sounds like the sort of crap we heard before we beat the Eagles to win the NFC. Good looking out there.

Reaction score
Well, lets look at this diffucult schedule the vaunted steelers played this year. The Bengals,Browns and Ravens simply represent the most powerful division in football. How ever did the Steelers get through that jugernaut unscathed is just simply amazing. Throw in the Jaguars and the banged up Texans and you are up to 8-0. WOW amazing. the Colts and chargers were not what they have been and yes they did destroy the Pats but the year before with Brady what was the outcome. The four common opponets were the NFC East they were 2-2 thank you Dallas and Tony romo and we were 1-3 but they were manhandaled in all those games even the Dallas defence looked awesome hardly the same with us. So steeler nation think this game is a gimme and then you can discuss what happened with the fans in Carolina who obviously thought the same thing. Good luck you're going to need it.

SteelCityMom

Rookie
Reaction score
Well, lets look at this diffucult schedule the vaunted steelers played this year. The Bengals,Browns and Ravens simply represent the most powerful division in football. How ever did the Steelers get through that jugernaut unscathed is just simply amazing. Throw in the Jaguars and the banged up Texans and you are up to 8-0. WOW amazing. the Colts and chargers were not what they have been and yes they did destroy the Pats but the year before with Brady what was the outcome. The four common opponets were the NFC East they were 2-2 thank you Dallas and Tony romo and we were 1-3 but they were manhandaled in all those games even the Dallas defence looked awesome hardly the same with us. So steeler nation think this game is a gimme and then you can discuss what happened with the fans in Carolina who obviously thought the same thing. Good luck you're going to need it.

Well I haven't heard one fan think this game is a gimmie...it is the SB after all, both teams are in it for a reason.

As for the Ravens...they were 11-5 this year, hardly a pushover team. And how the Texans were banged up in week 1 I'm not sure, maybe they were banged up for the year because they played the Steelers in week 1 I don't know.

The difficulty of the schedule came from all the opponents 2007 records...preseason it was the hardest schedule in the league, but nobody expected teams like the Jags and the Chargers to have such a crappy year. Honestly, the Steelers were projected to go 8-8 this season lol. The real difficulty of the schedule IMO comes from the Steelers offense having to face 7 of the top 10 defenses this season (8 games total b/c they play the Ravens twice).

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
One, I didn't like how uninformed hartwig sounded when talking about the Cardinals. If you're going comment, I think you should be precise with your facts so you don't sound ignorant.

And two, that's about an 8 on the pregame-player-interview smack scale.

Very strong words Mr. Hartwig. I hope the Cardinals hand you your @ss on a platter tomorrow.