Have you lost interest?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had hoped to see some fresh energy after the trade deadline, but, try as I might, I just cannot get interested in this team.

I think the thing that finally put me over the edge were the Markieff comments about fans. I just lost all hope that they would take responsibility. Just wondering what others are thinking.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't lost a bit of interest. AFAIC the twins comments were greatly overblown. I'm more concerned about Keef giving up on his post game and his return to the land of inconsistency. This team isn't as fun to watch as I'd like them to be but there are still great moments and it's interesting to focus on our young players when they get court time.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't really give a crap right now. There is NO ONE likable on this team to me and The insistence on the NO pure PG, let's go with two combo guards and likely over pay for both of them has left me
pretty underwhelmed by the FO. I mean, they've put themselves in. Position where they pretty much have NO CHOICE but to pay Knight what he wants otherwise they basically just traded a Lakers lotto pick for nothing.

Len is the only ray of hope this team has and he keeps getting knicked up.

I forsee years of cloudy skies in the Valley of these Suns.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not at all. It was quite obvious we weren't going to be a championship team with Goran maxed out, so they did their best to make the core younger.

We'll see how it all turns out, but I'm more interested than before the trade deadline.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am just sad that we still have not really tanked it .. we clearly still need to get that franchise changer in the draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just sad that we still have not really tanked it .. we clearly still need to get that franchise changer in the draft.

And there are a lot of tanking teams that are still in search of that franchise changer. There is no sure-fire way to make that happen short of tanking every year until it does. And even then you're not assured he'll still be on your team when his second and then third contract comes up. Especially if you've dug yourself into a lose-every-year hole.

Steve

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't really give a crap right now. There is NO ONE likable on this team to me and The insistence on the NO pure PG, let's go with two combo guards and likely over pay for both of them has left me
pretty underwhelmed by the FO. I mean, they've put themselves in. Position where they pretty much have NO CHOICE but to pay Knight what he wants otherwise they basically just traded a Lakers lotto pick for nothing.

This...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Not sure how you define "cloudy"? I agree with most of your sentiment here, however, I am a bit more optimistic (perhaps blindly) about what could lie ahead for the team. Right now, they are a .500 squad. With a healthy and developing Len, maybe they get to 5-6 games above .500 on an annual basis.
In terms of likeability, there is no question this team is filled with dudes who are REALLY hard to get behind. In fact, aside from Len and Knight, the rest of the starting lineup is unlikeable and on the bench, Wright, Warren and Goodwin are likeable, though we only get glimpses of them...

Still, I would gladly take a team that gets to the post season on a regular basis, but might be largely unlikeable, versus a lovable loser... :D

With regard to the future, again, I might be blindly optimistic, but I still have faith in McDonough and Jeff to continue to draft and make trades that will further strengthen this team. IMHO, the Morrii need to be jettisoned and hopefully for some decent value. I hope Knight can emerge as a legit combo guard, but more importantly, as a dependable leader. I really think Warren can be something special and a huge piece to this team's future success. And then there is Bledsoe... Who gets an A for effort and energy as there is no other player (PJ is close) who brings his energy each night...But his game IQ is putrid, his passing skills are marginal and his shooting skills are slightly better than marginal. He also doesn't appear to have the ability to actually lead this team... I mean, I honestly don't get the sense that the rest of the team seeks leadership from Bledsoe. Do they view him as the team leader, or the team leader in the making? I don't think so...
It's very hard for a team to ultimately achieve consistent success when there isn't at least one player who can be counted on for leadership. OKC has Westbrook/Durant. Clippers have Paul/Griffin. Spurs have Parker/Ginobli/Duncan. Warriors have Curry. Houston has the beard. Cavs have LeBron. Memphis has Gasol/Randolph/Conley. New Orleans has Davis/Evans/Holiday. Portland has LMA/Lillard.
The Suns? Hmmmmm....

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
I've lost interest, but only because I can't watch many games of theirs on TV here in NC. It costs much more just to get FSN Arizona, much less EVERY OTHER FSN NETWORK.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Yes. Anytime a representative of the Suns comes on sports radio, I change over to music. Just like I did with the D-Backs last season. Not interested in the whitewashing of their failures.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had hoped to see some fresh energy after the trade deadline, but, try as I might, I just cannot get interested in this team.

I think the thing that finally put me over the edge were the Markieff comments about fans. I just lost all hope that they would take responsibility. Just wondering what others are thinking.

Nope I have watched pretty much every game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there are a lot of tanking teams that are still in search of that franchise changer. There is no sure-fire way to make that happen short of tanking every year until it does. And even then you're not assured he'll still be on your team when his second and then third contract comes up. Especially if you've dug yourself into a lose-every-year hole.

Steve

well, we know being a perpetual 10 seed ain't working... we've seen how that's played out for the better part of 5 years and the reality is this... the player with THE most upside, the player who gives us ANY ray of hope for the future came from the ONE season we were atrocious and got a high enough to pick to get someone of worth. Bad teams remain bad because they tank and can't ID talent.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Third youngest team in the league, if I recall. What would you suggest? Trade their already young / developing players for more draft picks, so they can get even younger & less developed? Purposely lose games?

That argument made sense for the tail-end of the Nash teams. Not so much for this one, IMO. The Suns are in an interesting situation. They're clearly rebuilding with a young roster, yet they're winning enough games to end up with a late lottery pick.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Wonder Twins and / or Bledsoe moved in the offseason. I still think Knight was brought in here to give them some wiggle room on Bledsoe, who might be a major piece in bringing in the "star" that McD is always talking about.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Suns fan since their inception as an NBA franchise. Losing interest in the team is not in my DNA. However, I do get frustrated by some of the moves made by the Suns front office and coaching. The Suns had no choice about trading Goran Dragic but a simple rebound for the Suns would have been to trade for Enes Kanter with a first round pick. The Suns could have kept the rest of their team intact and been the better for it including keeping the Lakers pick to help make further moves this summer.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Actually my interest in watching the games has increased with the youngsters finally getting some PT. I'd gotten quite tired of seeing our pathetic half court offense over and over.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I lost interest three games into the season. If it weren't for Len, TJ, and Archie, I wouldn't be watching at all until the twins and Bledsoe were gone.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Been losing more and more interest over the years. Seems like the Suns have SOME direction, but are pretty much the same team year after year. Good team, but always 9-11 in the west talent wise. I don't see them getting much better. Seems like a lot of the other teams in the west have way better rosters.

We keep trying to re-organize for the future, but end up just repeating the past.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
well, we know being a perpetual 10 seed ain't working... we've seen how that's played out for the better part of 5 years and the reality is this... the player with THE most upside, the player who gives us ANY ray of hope for the future came from the ONE season we were atrocious and got a high enough to pick to get someone of worth. Bad teams remain bad because they tank and can't ID talent.

It's amazing that more people don't realize this.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have the same interest as I did when the season started but my expectations are different. I know it's a young team so it will take time, I hope they get for the most part, to gel and build something together. I think a lot of people calling the team a 500 team is a little off considering the team traded 2 major rotation players and 1 other rotation player in Plumlee, making them thinner in the frontcourt. If this team had a training camp and a full season I think they'd be slightly ahead of Utah and Minnesota but probably have a record similar to Denver's. A core of Len, Bledsoe, Knight, Warren, makes for a bright future and given time and a few more pieces could be a playoff team. The Suns need a legit PF to play alongside Len though. Going back to Stat's years here the team seems to think it can get away with only having 1 inside player rather than 2, like most contenders. Len wouldn't be needed as much if the team had a legit PF to play alongside him.

As much as I hope the team has a chance to grow and get familiar with each other I also want to see the Morrii traded in the offseason. I haven't been sold on either of them and their negatives far outweigh their positives. Getting them out of Phoenix would help with the refs, fans, and most likely chemistry. Not only do they take 2 roster spots but also take 2 spots in the rotation and 1 in the starting lineup. Their attitudes are awful, they're woefully inconsistent, and being a package deal hurts more than I think most of us realize. How would 1 react if the other was dealt? How would they react if 1 or the other was benched or demoted? How does their bond effect the locker room and team as a whole? Selling them off to move up in the draft or even getting 1 prospect in return would be a good move, IMO.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our guards are good enough to win. Len can be a reliable role playing starter in this league, but won't be winning any awards.
This soft spot on this team is the forwards. We need a dominant scorer and a bad **** defender, and have neither. Our forwards would all be bench players on other teams.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns are more than willing to tank and that last season they had every intention of doing so. But, some players surprised and, despite the grumblings of much of the board, Hornacek did such a good job that he nearly got coach of the year.

Following that season its tough to say "we won 48 games with a young team, lets blow it up and suck on purpose". After THIS season it probably won't be so tough to decide to seriously retool the roster.

I expect that the Suns will make a serious push for an all-star caliber player this off-season... and if that effort does not pan out then they will instead blow the roster to smithereens and no one but Len will be 100% safe.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
low blood pressure,,,

Previous quote by another member: "Still, I would gladly take a team that gets to the post season on a regular basis, but might be largely unlikeable, versus a lovable loser..."

As I see it as well..... A 40 year fan, but I just can't get excited about this team, and I would look at the FO for failure.

Now, I'm more inclined to watch other NBA tv games , which I rarely done in the past.