Hawks @ Suns Game Thread 3-1-13

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They make a great car. I love my Optima! :)

Great value/performance for the money.

It's funny because not that long ago Korean cars were a joke. Now both Kia and Hyundai are making some handsome/affordable vehicles. Their product evolution and public acceptance is very similar to Japanese autos in the 80's.

Those new Optimas are really slick.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's funny because not that long ago Korean cars were a joke. Now both Kia and Hyundai are making some handsome/affordable vehicles. Their product evolution and public acceptance is very similar to Japanese autos in the 80's.

Those new Optimas are really slick.
You're right. The Hyundai/Kia company is now in the quality class of Honda, perhaps a little better than Toyota (with all their recalls of a few years ago) and above Nissan.

The only thing going for Nissan is looks and Hyundai/Kia has surpassed them.

There was a rumor that Nissan originally set up Hyundai/Kia as a Korean company to avoid high Japanese taxes.

I remember when Honda began as a scooter, then got into autos and moved rather quickly up the ranks of quality and sales, despite their rather bland looks.

And I remember when Hyundai began with a tinny 4-door sedan and coupe. Yes, they have come a long way.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't remember Honda having a scooter... I remember a 50cc 'motorcycle'... not sure whether it had pedals or not...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alvin Gentry never even bother playing Wesley Johnson. His rotations were awful. Wesley Johnson with more exposure is looking better and better.

Gentry was hamstrung by his contract situation and the idiotic front office imperative to win now. I cant fault a guy for not developing the young guys when he is on a lame duck contract, the franchise loaded up on veterans in the off-season and set a ridiculous expectation of a playoff contender on him. I am not saying Gentry was a great coach, but he was in a no win situation.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This may sound very silly and I know we shouldn't wish injuries on our players but damn I wish Dragic, and O'Neal would get hurt (on something that they can recover from and be fine like an ankle sprain or something not acl or mcl) and miss the rest of the season.

We NEED a top pick in this draft which has 3 potential superstars.

We should grant Gortat his wish and let him be the #1 option. That will surely assure that we get a top pick :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may sound very silly and I know we shouldn't wish injuries on our players but damn I wish Dragic, and O'Neal would get hurt (on something that they can recover from and be fine like an ankle sprain or something not acl or mcl) and miss the rest of the season.

We NEED a top pick in this draft which has 3 potential superstars.

We should grant Gortat his wish and let him be the #1 option. That will surely assure that we get a top pick :D

Who are the 3 potential superstars in this draft?

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
You're right. The Hyundai/Kia company is now in the quality class of Honda, perhaps a little better than Toyota (with all their recalls of a few years ago) and above Nissan.

What are you talking about? What are you basing that on? A report by two stoned hippies?

Toyota (Toyota, Lexus, Scion) is by far the most reliable brand out there, followed by other Japanese brands (Honda, Subaru, Mazda, Acura).
While it is true that Kia and Hyundai are no longer worth less than dog crap, but to claim they are anywhere near Toyota/Honda/Subaru is insane.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Steve

My guess he means McLemore, Noel, and Shabazz.

I put Oladipo above Shabazz. I also agree with you. Noel may take longer to develop than anyone in the Suns organization will tolerate. If we really want a big, I suggest free agency.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What are you talking about? What are you basing that on? A report by two stoned hippies?

Toyota (Toyota, Lexus, Scion) is by far the most reliable brand out there, followed by other Japanese brands (Honda, Subaru, Mazda, Acura).
While it is true that Kia and Hyundai are no longer worth less than dog crap, but to claim they are anywhere near Toyota/Honda/Subaru is insane.
Are you really comparing Hyundai and Kia to Lexus and Acura? That is like comparing a VW to a Mercedes. Hyundai is a lot closer to Toyota in quality than you think. And a lot sharper in style.

When I had to leave my field of operations management after 35 years due to age discrimination, a friend got me into his business -- car sales, of all things. I was known as "The honest one" at the dealership.

I started at Earnhardt Dodge/Hyundai (when Tex had the largest Chrysler Corp. store in the world). But I didn't like their underhanded tactics and left after 3 months.

I then spent 4 years at Sunset Ford outside of Sun City, then some time at Sanderson Lincoln-Mercury. I ended that career working for a broker. I drove around the Valley taking customers to purchase every conceivable brand of car and truck.

I'm wondering what your expertise is in referring to my car opinions as "insane". Really!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Are you really comparing Hyundai and Kia to Lexus and Acura? That is like comparing a VW to a Mercedes. Hyundai is a lot closer to Toyota in quality than you think. And a lot sharper in style.

When I had to leave my field of operations management after 35 years due to age discrimination, a friend got me into his business -- car sales, of all things. I was known as "The honest one" at the dealership.

I started at Earnhardt Dodge/Hyundai (when Tex had the largest Chrysler Corp. store in the world). But I didn't like their underhanded tactics and left after 3 months.

I then spent 4 years at Sunset Ford outside of Sun City, then some time at Sanderson Lincoln-Mercury. I ended that career working for a broker. I drove around the Valley taking customers to purchase every conceivable brand of car and truck.

I'm wondering what your expertise is in referring to my car opinions as "insane". Really!

One quick look at an objective study such as Consumer Report is about all that's needed to figure out your opinion is not factual in any way, shape, or form. Hyundai and Kia are garbage. To be fair, they are very cheap garbage, and Hyundais in particular look very nice. Having said that, you can wrap a turd in bacon, and it will still be a turd (though wrapped in bacon) and not a Wagyu steak.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Steve
McLemore/Shabazz/Oladipo/Noels

I think at least 3 of those guys can turn out to be big time players in this league.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McLemore/Shabazz/Oladipo/Noels

I think at least 3 of those guys can turn out to be big time players in this league.

I was curious about your selection of the number 3 more than anything. You said it as if the three were obvious or at least that's how I thought you said it. I think McLemore probably stands alone but it's hard to say that any of the top picks don't have a shot at stardom. Michael Carter-Williams, Anthony Bennett, Marcus Smart and a few others are right there IMO with the players you named. Personally, I'd hope to land Bennett, Smart, McLemore or Oladipo but I'm sure a couple other guys will shine come tourney time. There are fewer sure things in this draft than most but there's a lot of talent.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was curious about your selection of the number 3 more than anything. You said it as if the three were obvious or at least that's how I thought you said it. I think McLemore probably stands alone but it's hard to say that any of the top picks don't have a shot at stardom. Michael Carter-Williams, Anthony Bennett, Marcus Smart and a few others are right there IMO with the players you named. Personally, I'd hope to land Bennett, Smart, McLemore or Oladipo but I'm sure a couple other guys will shine come tourney time. There are fewer sure things in this draft than most but there's a lot of talent.

Steve
I like Smart a lot too. He reminds me of Westbrook with better attitude.

Bennett is a tweener so I don't want him. I'm sick and tired of tweeners.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Smart a lot too. He reminds me of Westbrook with better attitude.

Bennett is a tweener so I don't want him. I'm sick and tired of tweeners.

A lot of people label him so but I don't think he's a tweener. He's quick enough to play the three and he's unstoppable at times. I'm not sick and tired of unstoppable. But, even if he's forced to play the 4, I think he'll still shine at the next level. He's been up and down as most freshman are and when Moser went down he was forced to carry the load and he's done so fairly well (Moser has been back for awhile but he's a shadow of the player he had been). I want to see how he does come tourney time but right now, he's my first choice.

Steve

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Teague should have been ejected. Pure luck that Marcus was not injured. BOOO!

I don't have the possibility to watch games live here in Norway, so I'm a few days behind btw :)

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One quick look at an objective study such as Consumer Report is about all that's needed to figure out your opinion is not factual in any way, shape, or form. Hyundai and Kia are garbage. To be fair, they are very cheap garbage, and Hyundais in particular look very nice. Having said that, you can wrap a turd in bacon, and it will still be a turd (though wrapped in bacon) and not a Wagyu steak.

You, sir, don't know what you're talking about. I've owned Nissans, Hondas, and Mazdas before and my Kia Optima is the best of the lot.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You, sir, don't know what you're talking about. I've owned Nissans, Hondas, and Mazdas before and my Kia Optima is the best of the lot.
Good shot, Superbone. And a lot more meaningful than Stefan's metaphor of "turds and bacon" to settle the issue. :thumbup:

I also owned one from the Hundai/Kia corporation, as my commuting car. A sporty Hyundai Tiburon coupe, which was the forerunner to the more expensive Genesis coupe. Its quality as well as design, even though at the low end of the price scale, was excellent.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good shot, Superbone. And a lot more meaningful than Stefan's metaphor of "turds and bacon" to settle the issue. :thumbup:

I also owned one from the Hundai/Kia corporation, as my commuting car. A sporty Hyundai Tiburon coupe, which was the forerunner to the more expensive Genesis coupe. Its quality as well as design, even though at the low end of the price scale, was excellent.

I am with the rest of the old geezers on this one. Not that my opinion matters.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser