Heat @ Suns Game Thread

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Miami Heat (19-14 ) @ Phoenix Suns (20-11)

When Friday 6th January
Time: 7.30 PT
TV: UPN 45

Probable Starting Lineups:

You must be registered for see images

PG-Jason Williams

SG-Dwyane Wade
SF-James Posey
PF-Udonis Haslem
C-Shaquille O'Neal

PG-Steve Nash
SG-Raja Bell
SF-Shawn Marion

PF-Boris Diaw
C-Kurt Thomas

Game Preview

After a disappointing start to a seven-game road trip, the Miami Heat hope to get back on track when they visit the Pacific Division-leading Phoenix Suns.

Miami opened its extended trek with a 107-92 loss to the New Orleans Hornets in Oklahoma City on Wednesday.

Dwyane Wade had his second career triple-double with 19 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists, but it wasn't enough as the Heat committed 17 turnovers and trailed by as many as 22 to one of the Western Conference's weaker teams.

"I just wish I could've done more to help my team out," said Wade, the NBA's sixth-leading scorer at 26.3 points per game.

All-Star center Shaquille O'Neal scored 19 points but grabbed only four rebounds while Jason Williams finished with 15 points for Miami, which is trying to avoid consecutive losses for the first time since a four-game skid in early December, prior to O'Neal's return from injury.

Miami hasn't won in Phoenix since a 100-90 overtime victory on Dec. 2, 2002.

"The team has to understand that when you go night in and night out into someone else's building, it's a huge game," Heat coach Pat Riley said. "They're going to come hard. They're going for the win."

After Phoenix, the Heat will visit Portland, Golden State, Seattle, Utah and the Los Angeles Lakers before returning to Miami to host defending NBA champion San Antonio on Jan. 20.

The Suns have won five of their last six games and opened a three-game homestand with Wednesday's 105-85 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers.

Reigning MVP Steve Nash scored a game-high 24 points to lead five players in double figures, and Shawn Marion had the game's lone double-double, finishing with 13 points and 13 rebounds.

Phoenix is the league's highest scoring team, averaging 104.2 points per game, an impressive statistic considering its top scorer from last season, power forward Amare Stoudemire, hasn't played a game yet. Stoudemire is still recovering from knee surgery.

"We needed to start this homestand with a win," said Suns guard Eddie House, who scored 18 points. "(We'll) get ready for Miami, and see what we can do against them."

Wednesday's win followed a 4-1 road swing for the Suns, who held league scoring leader Allen Iverson to a season-low 16 points. The Suns' last loss was a 140-133 triple-overtime defeat to the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden on Monday.

Heat Game Notes

Dwyane Wade recorded his first triple-double of the season and second career Wednesday, compiling 19 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. It is the sixth triple-double in franchise history. ... G Jason Williams scored 15 points, making 5-of-9 3-pointers. The Heat made 9-of-23 shots from the arc overall, but the long rebounds helped the Hornets to a 16-4 edge in fast-break points. "They took some jumpers and got some long rebounds," C Shaquille O'Neal said. "There's really no excuse for that. They just had more energy than us."

Suns Game Notes

F Shawn Marion had 13 points and 13 rebounds Wednesday for his 23rd double-double, one behind San Antonio's Tim Duncan for the league lead. ... F James Jones scored 19 points, his best performance since December 6, 2005 vs. Portland. ... Phoenix has scored at least 100 points in eight straight games, its best stretch of the season. ... The Suns are 16-6 since November 20. ... Only conference leaders San Antonio (17-5) and Detroit (17-3) have better records since that point. ... Wednesday's game was the last in the building known as America West Arena. ... Beginning with Friday's contest, the facility will be called US Airways Center.

jibikao

Reaction score
We need the bench players to step up big time...we've got Spurs tomorrow! Luckily they have a game tonight too. :)

One thing I hope we don't see is stupid double teaming on Shaq which opens up the shooters for the Heat. If Shaq is going to kill us inside, let it be. We can double team every once a while to confuse him but please don't BLINDLY double team every single time he touches the ball. This will kill us.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully both White Chocolate and Walker decide to take it upon themselves to win the game and shoot everytime down the floor.

nowagimp

Reaction score
If we dont double shack, we need to run run run him off the floor so he doesnt foul out all our bigs. We cant just let him score 30 on 80% FG's.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering how much Burke will be used tonight? Thomas has been fouling out a lot lately, and Burke has more bulk on him to contain Shaq. Burke appears to be asleep lately. He worries too much about setting picks, and pays little attention to where the ball is on the court.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I a have been looking forward to this one. I hope Bell can contain Wade and Thomas can keep Shaq from killing everyone. I expect Williams to have a good game tonight the Suns seam to bring out the best in him.

jibikao

Reaction score
minercon said:
I am wondering how much Burke will be used tonight? Thomas has been fouling out a lot lately, and Burke has more bulk on him to contain Shaq. Burke appears to be asleep lately. He worries too much about setting picks, and pays little attention to where the ball is on the court.

Burke should foul Shaq every time he gets too deep!

nowagimp

Reaction score
minercon said:
I think that Burke will be used alot as shaq is too strong for thomas to handle(125 lbs heavier). I have a feeling that thomas will be called for 2-3 quick fouls trying to guard the big man. Also expect Burke to be whistled for everything he does and doesn't do. Hopefully, Walker, Peyton, and WIlliams will shoot early and often, depriving wade and shaq of touches. Posey has always been alot of trouble for Marion, as he is quick, runs very well, and is a good defender. He's almost like a 6'7" Raja Bell with hops.

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
Wade and Willams are a scratch tonight. C'mon Suns, I just bet the house on a two point spread.

sunsfn

Reaction score
UNBELIEVABLE, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS THE REST OF THIS GAME THIS IS GREAT BASKETBALL.

NATIONWIDE AUDIENCE WATCHING :thumbup:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
shawn marion just alley-ooped it to boris diaw who had a twisting 1-handed jam...yes you read that right.

i can now die in peace.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That catch and reverse dunk by Diaw was incredible. I can't fathom being that athletic.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:
shawn marion just alley-ooped it to boris diaw who had a twisting 1-handed jam...yes you read that right.

i can now die in peace.

Think that might be a highlight on ESPN?? :)

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
jibikao said:
One thing I hope we don't see is stupid double teaming on Shaq which opens up the shooters for the Heat. If Shaq is going to kill us inside, let it be. We can double team every once a while to confuse him but please don't BLINDLY double team every single time he touches the ball. This will kill us.

Worked so far.:thumbup:

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
Can't believe my eyes! Diaw just blocked a shot by Shaq.

Last edited: