Historic NBA event - First replay ever for Hawks/Heat

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Crazy stuff!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3192421

Heat, Hawks to replay final minute of Dec. 19 game later this year

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat must replay the final 51.9 seconds of their game last month because the NBA said the official scorer ruled incorrectly that Shaquille O'Neal fouled out. This will be the first time since 1982 the league has sent teams back on the court for a replay.

The Hawks won 117-111 at home in overtime Dec. 19. The NBA said Friday the replay will be held before the teams' next scheduled game -- March 8 in Atlanta. Play will start from the time after O'Neal's disputed sixth foul.

The Hawks also were fined $50,000, with commissioner David Stern ruling the team was "grossly negligent" in failing to address the mistake.

The protest is the first granted by the NBA since December 1982, when then-NBA commissioner Larry O'Brien upheld a request for a replay by the San Antonio Spurs after their 137-132 double-overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers the previous month.

The Spurs and Lakers finished the game in April 1983, with San Antonio winning 117-114.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Watch this be the difference in the Hawks pick between us getting say - Derrick Rose or some big foreign stiff!

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Go Heat! The irony is that Shaq probably won't play anyway.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What a joke.

Why? The Heat were grossly cheated, and they will get a chance to fix it. I wish this happened more often nowadays in pro sports. Then maybe we'd have less gross errors that completely cost a team the game. Maybe the Suns would start to get a fair shake in the playoffs for a change :)

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is pretty stupid. If they actually called all of the fouls Shaq committed in that game then he would've fouled out much earlier. Maybe we can get a replay of the Suns Spurs playoff game 5 from last year and let Amare & Diaw play because David Stern is a moron.

nowagimp

Reaction score
This is pretty stupid. If they actually called all of the fouls Shaq committed in that game then he would've fouled out much earlier. Maybe we can get a replay of the Suns Spurs playoff game 5 from last year and let Amare & Diaw play because David Stern is a moron.

yeah what a joke, shaq ONLY committed 6 fouls in a game? The NBA should nullify lebrons game winning shot from out of bounds in the '06 playoffs as well before this replay.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I knew the NBA loved the Heat a lot. Hell, anyone that watched their Finals victory would know that. However, I had no idea they loved them THIS much.

This is a pretty ridiculous precedent to set if you ask me.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The Heat should have just put six men on the floor; the league never would have approved the replay. ;)

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would they have a replay if the Heat had won?

I would think that Shaq being forced to come out of the game is an advantage for the Heat.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
What's game am I thinking of that the Suns tried to protest?

Wasn't it against SA years ago? (Like, 10 years maybe.)

I remember the Spurs had 6 players on the court on the final play and ended up winning.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wasn't it against SA years ago? (Like, 10 years maybe.)

I remember the Spurs had 6 players on the court on the final play and ended up winning.

I remember it well. It was during the great 92-93 season. We just established ourselves as one of the top teams in the league having gone undefeated in december (14-0) and going for our 15th win against s.a.

We blew a 5 point lead in the final 20 seconds, and one of those scores by s.a. they started the play w/6 players.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch this be the difference in the Hawks pick between us getting say - Derrick Rose or some big foreign stiff!

How so? The Hawks won the game the first time, only thing that can happen the better for us is that they lose the second game..

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
How so? The Hawks won the game the first time, only thing that can happen the better for us is that they lose the second game..

...and if shaq elbows JJ in the eye socket and josh smith pulls a livingston.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember it well. It was during the great 92-93 season. We just established ourselves as one of the top teams in the league having gone undefeated in december (14-0) and going for our 15th win against s.a.

We blew a 5 point lead in the final 20 seconds, and one of those scores by s.a. they started the play w/6 players.

I remember for two weeks after that game waking up a looking in the paper to see if they had upheld the Suns' protest.

David Stern loves the Spurs.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I think your misunderstanding whats going to happen here when they replay this.

Should the Heat win that final 51 seconds - the Hawks would have a "W" taken away and and "L" in its place.

In the draft lottery a "W" and "L" can be the difference between the #1 pick and the #10 pick. You know because its a weighted lottery.

Obviously its not likely but if ATL barely misses the playoffs and somehow ends up in the Top 3 (unlikley but not unprecedented - see Portland last year and Orlando the year they drafted Penny) - that change in the loss column would have made at least some difference.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05