Historic NBA event - First replay ever for Hawks/Heat

nowagimp

Reaction score
It was 112-111 at that point. The Heat didn't score again and lost 117-111.

wow, thats a major screwjob by the score keeper. The 50K fine and replay are warranted, I think the scorekeeper should be fined as well. I thought the heat were 6 down with 51.9 sec left.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Heat should have just put six men on the floor; the league never would have approved the replay. ;)

This is the first thing I thought of when I read this. That ended the Suns 14 game win streak too.

David Stern's wife must have cheated on him with a guy from Phoenix.

nowagimp

Reaction score
This is the first thing I thought of when I read this. That ended the Suns 14 game win streak too.

David sterns wife may have good reason to look elsewhere.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an update;

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...YF?slug=ap-heat-hawksreplay&prov=ap&type=lgns

NBA sets guidelines for Heat-Hawks replay
By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer
Mar 3, 6:41 pm EST

ATLANTA (AP)—Shaquille O’Neal is no longer around, but Mike Bibby and Shawn Marion will be able to suit up for the NBA’s first replay since 1982.

The league set guidelines for Saturday’s do-over between the Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat, who must complete the final 51.9 seconds of their Dec. 19 overtime game.

The Hawks left the court that night with a 117-111 victory, but commissioner David Stern struck it from the books after the home team’s stat crew mistakenly ruled that O’Neal, then playing for Miami, had fouled out with less than a minute to go in overtime.

O’Neal has since been traded to Phoenix, but the NBA said Monday that both teams can fill out any openings on their 12-man active roster with players acquired since the disputed game.

That means the Heat can dress Marion and Marcus Banks, who came from the Suns in the Shaq deal. Likewise, the Hawks will be able to use Bibby, who was picked up from Sacramento just ahead of the trade deadline.

Miami has 10 players who were active Dec. 19 still on its roster, leaving two openings for the makeup minute. The Heat’s other options are Jason Williams, Smush Parker and Joel Anthony.

The Hawks, who gave up four players for Bibby, have nine active players still around from the disputed game. Also eligible to be added for the replay are Josh Childress, Jeremy Richardson and Speedy Claxton.

Miami will have the ball when the game resumes, trailing 114-111. After the replay is completed, the teams will get a 15-minute break, then return to the court for their regularly scheduled contest at Philips Arena.

The night is vitally important to the Hawks, who are battling for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference and can hardly afford to squander an apparent win against hapless Miami, which has the NBA’s worst record (11-46).

Stern also fined the Hawks $50,000, ruling they were “grossly negligent” in failing to address the mistake.

Miami’s protest was the first granted by the NBA since December 1982, when then-NBA commissioner Larry O’Brien upheld a request for a replay by the San Antonio Spurs after their 137-132 double-overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers the previous month.

The Spurs and Lakers finally finished the game in April 1983, with San Antonio winning 117-114.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an update;

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...YF?slug=ap-heat-hawksreplay&prov=ap&type=lgns

NBA sets guidelines for Heat-Hawks replay
By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer
Mar 3, 6:41 pm EST

ATLANTA (AP)—Shaquille O’Neal is no longer around, but Mike Bibby and Shawn Marion will be able to suit up for the NBA’s first replay since 1982.

The league set guidelines for Saturday’s do-over between the Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat, who must complete the final 51.9 seconds of their Dec. 19 overtime game.

The Hawks left the court that night with a 117-111 victory, but commissioner David Stern struck it from the books after the home team’s stat crew mistakenly ruled that O’Neal, then playing for Miami, had fouled out with less than a minute to go in overtime.

O’Neal has since been traded to Phoenix, but the NBA said Monday that both teams can fill out any openings on their 12-man active roster with players acquired since the disputed game.

That means the Heat can dress Marion and Marcus Banks, who came from the Suns in the Shaq deal. Likewise, the Hawks will be able to use Bibby, who was picked up from Sacramento just ahead of the trade deadline.

Miami has 10 players who were active Dec. 19 still on its roster, leaving two openings for the makeup minute. The Heat’s other options are Jason Williams, Smush Parker and Joel Anthony.

The Hawks, who gave up four players for Bibby, have nine active players still around from the disputed game. Also eligible to be added for the replay are Josh Childress, Jeremy Richardson and Speedy Claxton.

Miami will have the ball when the game resumes, trailing 114-111. After the replay is completed, the teams will get a 15-minute break, then return to the court for their regularly scheduled contest at Philips Arena.

The night is vitally important to the Hawks, who are battling for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference and can hardly afford to squander an apparent win against hapless Miami, which has the NBA’s worst record (11-46).

Stern also fined the Hawks $50,000, ruling they were “grossly negligent” in failing to address the mistake.

Miami’s protest was the first granted by the NBA since December 1982, when then-NBA commissioner Larry O’Brien upheld a request for a replay by the San Antonio Spurs after their 137-132 double-overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers the previous month.

The Spurs and Lakers finally finished the game in April 1983, with San Antonio winning 117-114.

Where do you draw the line with replays? When someone fouls out? What about if they mistakenly award 3 points to a 2 point shot, or vice versa? What if someone's foot is clearly out of bounds when going for a steal?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It was Joe Proski

AtlHawksFan

Rookie
Reaction score
It was 112-111 at that point. The Heat didn't score again and lost 117-111.

Actually it was 114 - 111. The Heat will have the ball with 51 seconds remaining and being a long-time Hawks fan who's experienced plenty of disappointment - I do expect the Heat to pull this one out..

AtlHawksFan

Rookie
Reaction score
I think your misunderstanding whats going to happen here when they replay this.

Should the Heat win that final 51 seconds - the Hawks would have a "W" taken away and and "L" in its place.

In the draft lottery a "W" and "L" can be the difference between the #1 pick and the #10 pick. You know because its a weighted lottery.

Obviously its not likely but if ATL barely misses the playoffs and somehow ends up in the Top 3 (unlikley but not unprecedented - see Portland last year and Orlando the year they drafted Penny) - that change in the loss column would have made at least some difference.

I'm not completely sure but I don't believe this was recorded as a win...interesting question though. I'll have to look it up.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how many gamblers are happy that they got paid off that night and how many are pissed off that they didn't.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I'm not completely sure but I don't believe this was recorded as a win...interesting question though. I'll have to look it up.

That game was taken off their record already. The Hawks are 24-33 w/out that game, so no games will be deducted from their current win total.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
a bit OT

but i'm going to Miami later this week for a stag do and wondered if anyone has been to watch the Heat play there?

they play Golden State on Friday and thought me and lads might pop along.

Kody Rumin

Registered
Reaction score
Never been to Miami before, but I would definitely go. The Warriors seems like they would be awesome to watch live.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Actually it was 114 - 111. The Heat will have the ball with 51 seconds remaining and being a long-time Hawks fan who's experienced plenty of disappointment - I do expect the Heat to pull this one out..
Well technically I was correct. The score when the controversial foul occured was 112-111. However they are restarting the game at the inbound after the free throws were made, so the score will now be 114-111.

It's going to be interesting to look at the revised box score for this game that will give the appearance of Shaq and Marion playing together in the same game for the Heat.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I remember it well. It was during the great 92-93 season. We just established ourselves as one of the top teams in the league having gone undefeated in december (14-0) and going for our 15th win against s.a.

We blew a 5 point lead in the final 20 seconds, and one of those scores by s.a. they started the play w/6 players.

I thought they ended up losing the game in OT?? But either way it was like the last possession that SA had 6 players on the court to score the winning basket. The NBA gave out some BS explanation that the Suns should have informed the Refs that SA had 6 players on the court.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Here's a future trivia question:

Who is the only person in NBA history to play in two different games on the same night for two different teams?

Answer: Shawn Marion on December 19th.

At least that's what the official NBA record is going to reflect. The replay game is recorded as a game on the 12/19/07 schedule and Marion is listed as having played in that game (with team mate Shaquille O'Neal). The Suns also played and lost that night at Dallas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=271219001

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=271219006

The bad part of this deal for Shawn is that even though he played less than one minute in the replay game, it counts as a game played and therefore his per game statistics will go down as a result of his only getting one rebound and no points.

I'm a history buff and a trivia fanatic, so this may score me ten bucks in a bar in a couple of years.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
here's another trivia :

the last replay was in 1982-1983.......between the SPURS and LAKERS......... which PAT RILEY happened to be involved with again as coach with the LAKERS and now this time with the HEAT :p

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
anyway, as it stands right now, because of the HAWKS 2 wins last night vs the HEAT..........HAWKS are seeded #8 in the east for the playoffs

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a future trivia question:

Who is the only person in NBA history to play in two different games on the same night for two different teams?

Answer: Shawn Marion on December 19th.

At least that's what the official NBA record is going to reflect. The replay game is recorded as a game on the 12/19/07 schedule and Marion is listed as having played in that game (with team mate Shaquille O'Neal). The Suns also played and lost that night at Dallas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=271219001

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=271219006

The bad part of this deal for Shawn is that even though he played less than one minute in the replay game, it counts as a game played and therefore his per game statistics will go down as a result of his only getting one rebound and no points.

I'm a history buff and a trivia fanatic, so this may score me ten bucks in a bar in a couple of years.

Who was the only player to be on two teams rosters on Dec. 19th, to play for one, but be on the injury list for the other. Bibby.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
anyway, as it stands right now, because of the HAWKS 2 wins last night vs the HEAT..........HAWKS are seeded #8 in the east for the playoffs

If the time you posted this is any indication, then you couldn't wait to alert Suns fans that the Hawks have a (very tentative) chance at holding an 8th seed in the East right now. But anything more than a cursory look at the Hawks' schedule reveals that they will be winning games at a 1 out of 3 clip between now and the end of the season, and that won't be enough to cling to that birth. They will lose 6 out of 8 games in the month of April alone.

Between the avatar of the ape-faced Riley, to the trollish, bubble-bursting comments, to the sad, sad little hope of Heat fans everywhere that they will garner a first pick--even though there will be at least a 75% chance that another team will get it--you sure do amuse me.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
If the time you posted this is any indication, then you couldn't wait to alert Suns fans that the Hawks have a (very tentative) chance at holding an 8th seed in the East right now. But anything more than a cursory look at the Hawks' schedule reveals that they will be winning games at a 1 out of 3 clip between now and the end of the season, and that won't be enough to cling to that birth. They will lose 6 out of 8 games in the month of April alone.

Between the avatar of the ape-faced Riley, to the trollish, bubble-bursting comments, to the sad, sad little hope of Heat fans everywhere that they will garner a first pick--even though there will be at least a 75% chance that another team will get it--you sure do amuse me.

You know what dude? You're nothing more then an instigator that likes to bait people into arguments for no reason. He's not being rude or doing anything wrong, but because he likes another team, you're going to try to bait him. I encourage all these people to start reporting your posts and hopefully we can get the moderators to do something about you. Next time BeeBeard comes out of left field on you Miami for no reason, report his post. Maybe that will stop him from picking fights for no reason.

BeeBeard, you should be ashamed of yourself. Show some class for gods sake.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
He's not being rude or doing anything wrong, but because he likes another team

Seriously? He constantly breaks the rules here, and was name-calling and making spammy posts in an older thread, telling people to shut up and so on, and really showing a lot of the "class" you seem to desire. He's probably one of the worst posters here, and 48 hours of good behavior scarcely proves otherwise. You should really, really pick your battles more wisely.

For instance, were you aware that MiamiHeat demanded that I "sit down and ****" when I lightly admonished him for making spammy, anti-Shaq posts. He later edited his comment into this crime against the English language:

MiamiHeat said:
you need to sit down and be quiet. you ignoring what poster says and just make stuff up is trolling and grounds for a ban then, since you like to talk about bans.

Yes, really a great guy. QUALITY poster.

I encourage all these people to start reporting your posts and hopefully we can get the moderators to do something about you. Next time BeeBeard comes out of left field on you Miami for no reason, report his post. Maybe that will stop him from picking fights for no reason.
It's nice of you to try to drive actual fans of the team away from their own forum, and try to stir up trouble and drama for them. It's about what I'd expect from somebody who is basically here to cause trouble in the first place.

We have a Lakers fan sticking up for a Miami Heat fan sticking up for... You know what? This is all too confusing. Why don't you and your buddy just take this one natural step closer and just turn ASFN into nothing but a forum for fans of other sports teams who try to ruin the fun and excitement that Suns fans have rooting for their own team. Oh wait, you pretty much already have.

BeeBeard, you should be ashamed of yourself. Show some class for gods sake.
Who the hell are you? Some arbiter of class and decorum when you yourself have just posted a trollish post on another team's sports forum? Just because you type the words "you should be ashamed of yourself" doesn't actually create a situation in which I'm the instigator or in which I should be ashamed. My suggestion to you would be to get off your constructive high horse and go find yourself a Lakers forum. And--I don't know your personal circumstances--but you might want to get a life, too, because posting on another team's sports message board is about the saddest thing somebody could do.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
And here's what you're called when you have the nerve to disagree with him (posted 3 minutes ago in another thread):

MiamiHeat said:
"beebeard, i know you are a troll but i will say it anyway"

Really, people like this are only here to dump on Suns fans and to try to bring down our morale under the guise of being "objective" or "providing a counterpoint." This one in particular is inarticulate, makes poor arguments, and has already admitted to doing little more than pirating Suns broadcasts on the internet since the Shaq trade. Just another garbage poster.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
beebeard you are in fact a troll.

someone asked me if i have watched any SUNS games. I said all of them.

then you chimed in :

BeeBeard said:
He doesn't actually watch the games. He's just here as a Shaq hater, and will post spammy, anti-Shaq garbage regardless of how well O'Neal performs. He feels especially vindicated whenever the Suns lose, regardless of whether it has anything to do with Shaq or not.

Any thread he sees that has nothing to do with Shaq, he will try to turn into yet another Shaq discussion, which I personally think should be grounds for a ban.

Does that answer your question?

you ignored me and just bashed me with your own lies. so then you get my response telling you to sit down and be quiet and quit trolling me.

once again, you are in fact a troll

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05